• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha oil filter: What is inside?

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
If most people change the oil every year and put less then the recommend hours in between oil changes, does it really matter?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think it matters but it is very interesting especially with the yamaha filters with the same part number and obviously different material,

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think it matters but it is very interesting especially with the yamaha filters with the same part number and obviously different material,
@Scottintexas if you are referring to @Ronnie oil filters, they were not the same part #. The non fleeced filter was made in Thailand with a different part #. The fleeced filter was the part # for the 1.8 motor. It was made in Japan. Both had Yamaha brand on them. You have to go to the linked topic to catch all of it. This all came about when he posted on a different topic.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If most people change the oil every year and put less then the recommend hours in between oil changes, does it really matter?
Is your name Hillary? At this point, what difference does it make? Sorry @ACRDSPORT14 I had to throw that in there in jest. I do agree, that other filters used may be as good, or even better than Yamaha. The intent of topic was to inform others of what the inside of the Yamaha filter looks like and not to influence buying any specific filter.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
HEHE, My name is not this. Your right about different filters, but things change all the time with manufactures and who knows how old or new the filters are, hence the differences. ? Maybe? i dunno.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm feeling ripped off, for years I've been buying mostly the yamaha filters thinking that they were better as they should be for 4 to 6 times the cost and the effort of going to the dealer or a power sports store to get them. Most of the the other filters I can get at pepboys or autozone for $4 to $8 so paying $25 for the same filter from yamaha burns. I have a much better appreciation of how the guys that got a carb boat when they thought they were buying a non carb boat feel.

By the way, I've never seen the wix brand at the auto stores around here and when I bought new filters this year I wanted the k&n versions but they were sold out at both pepboys and autozone.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
KN303 $10 at Amazon. Just received mine yesterday. Spark plugs $3. I got 2 filters and 8 plugs for $44 or so.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Its pretty interesting but I would say as long as my boat is under warranty I will just stick to the Yamaha filters. At least then I can show them the receipts in case of some engine failure and they wouldn't be able to use that as an excuse to not cover something...but then again that's why I bought a Yamaha, very little engine failures if any! Im with a few of you, really we all change our oil pretty frequently hours wise so it probably doesn't make much difference in the long run.