• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha surf wake wedge reveal!!! Warning pic heavy

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have knocked it down from a 40 bolt change over.... :)

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well it's certainly better, but still not exactly great if you are trying to do the switch in the water... I picture losing parts quickly lol

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well it's certainly better, but still not exactly great if you are trying to do the switch in the water... I picture losing parts quickly lol
You would have to do that changeover in the boat. Then put it on the other side in the water.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yamaha242lsdallas,
I start from the swim deck most times. Just trying to stay dry.:) I have never come close to getting near the Surf Wedge. However, I do have a different boat. But my experience would suggest it would not be a problem.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha242lsdallas,
I start from the swim deck most times. Just trying to stay dry.:) I have never come close to getting near the Surf Wedge. However, I do have a different boat. But my experience would suggest it would not be a problem.
Good to know. I guess I never realized the wedge was more on a horizontal plane on the water vs. vertical in the water. With what jcyamaharider said about it being 12" long and sticking out past the transom about 10" I guess its a matter of getting my transom deep enough into the water, and it having only 10 degree angle from the transom it would not push to much of the water away. So I can see what your saying about transom start not being an issue.

Probably just over thinking it. I guess i'm more of a visual type of person, seeing the photos on the first part of this thread showed it at like a 70 degree angle to the transom. I guess that sticks in my head.

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Probably just over thinking it. I guess i'm more of a visual type of person, seeing the photos on the first part of this thread showed it at like a 70 degree angle to the transom. I guess that sticks in my head.

Yeah that is no where near close to where I run the wedge at. Those were just prototype pictures. This is more of about where the wedge runs at. Please note that 2 wedges are on just for pictures.

20140927_075157.jpg

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
jcyamaharider, Thanks for that photo! That helps a lot! I can see where starting from the transom and just keeping the tip of the board up a bit longer as you work your way back would be all you need to do. Also seems to drive home the need to have ballast bags, I would not think the wedge would even touch much of the water if that transom was not pushed over/down in the water more.

Still have not decided on the brand of ballast bag and how much.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You can just barely see the Wake Wedge in this picture. It will give you an idea how far it sticks out.IMG_8498rev1.jpg

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What kind of speed are most people getting on the new Surf set ups? 10-12 mph??

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thats around where we surf at.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
does the wake start to get unridable around 11.5?? I like to ride fast..plus the Ridable area is Larger... But on my current boat, over 11mph become harder to stay with the Boat... My last boat would go over 12mph quite easily

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We are producing an almost waist high wave, so I think 12 MPH would be no problem on a lake without loosing push. We have hit 12MPH on the river already.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like to ride on the faster side also !! It opens up the pocket !! My wife likes it slower , unfortantly we go of rpm's because on a 210 the speedo doesn't really work at thous speeds

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmmm...we like to do the 9-10 mph thing. Seems we get a better wake at those speeds.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hmmm...we like to do the 9-10 mph thing. Seems we get a better wake at those speeds.
Yah..at 9-10 I have a Giant wave...but its to short.... I like to build up speed from further back to "attempt" areials. its hard to do at 9.5 mph...11 was nice though ..

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We are running a little more ballast then average which equals a great wave At those speeds.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where are you located?
Been away for a while and missed the request for my location.

I'm in Dalton, GA just south of Chattanooga, TN.

I'm ready to order one once we confirm it will fit. Just got Perfect Pass ordered and I'm ready for some warmer weather.

djsquid

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
sx210owner, I will be ordering a wake wedge very soon. I have a 2014 212X. On Jan 25th you posted a video of your testing on the same model/year. I must duplicate that wake. Please post what your exact ballast configuration was so I can get all the right bags in all the right places. Thanks.

Last edited:

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We where running the stock bags , plus a 750 I think on the rear seat on the side we where surfing , I believe that is what we had , @jcyamaharider , is that right ?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Stock ballast full, 800 bag filled to probably 750 pounds and a 450 bag across the back. Two passenger sitting on surf side one driver.

One could add a valve so the opposite bag of the surf side (factory ballast) didn't get filled and do away with the 450 bag across the center. Then the setup that @sx210owner described would work great.