• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha VX110 Overheat warning often comes on the moment the engine starts

terrymargate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Other
I have a 2009 VX110 jetski

Runs fine except more often than not the engine overheat beep will start the moment the ski starts. Sometimes I turn the ski off for few seconds, restart and all is fine, could run for 5 mins or 30 mins before beeping starts again

Runs fine, even with the beeping so I'm guessing its a dodgy sensor

I read that this engine has either 2 or 3 temp sensors, can anyone advise which one I should try changing first and if they are difficult to get to (I did unplug the obvious one on top of the engine, temporarily, made no difference)

also, would the SDS diagnostic software be able to identify which sensor was causing the problem? Is so I will invest in it instead of randomly changing sensors

all advice gratefully received :)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
definitely a faulty heat sensor

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC are all 3 sensors the same or do they have different temp limits? If @terrymargate bought one sensor could he swap it around until he found the bad one?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Good question look at the part numbers if the number is different then the sensor would be also, One other thing that makes the limp mode go on and the alarm is low oil when I had that happen last year I thought I had weeds in the intake and found that the oil filter had a split in it, so the alarm is the same and there is no indicator on the display on a ski to my knowledge. I would probably take it in to a dealer to be checked properly just to be safe

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I believe that pwc has the 140 hp MR-1 engine. This video should apply.

terrymargate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Other
Thanks so much for all the helpful replies.

I have ordered all 3 sensors so I have them all to hand. A user on another forum says the manual should show me how to test them with multimeter so have ordered service manual as well from ebay.

Will see if I have any luck testing them one by one, if not will replace them one at a time until the fault is cured.

thanks again, will report back with results

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks so much for all the helpful replies.

I have ordered all 3 sensors so I have them all to hand. A user on another forum says the manual should show me how to test them with multimeter so have ordered service manual as well from ebay.

Will see if I have any luck testing them one by one, if not will replace them one at a time until the fault is cured.

thanks again, will report back with results
So @terrymargate are all these sensors the same, thus interchangeable?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
YDS does have a live diagnostic mode where you can see what sensors are reading and what switch signals are outputting.

terrymargate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Other
the sensors all have different part numbers

Have also ordered YDS, will till every thing arrives then hopefully solve it in one session and report back

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is actually only one thermo “sensor” that provides a temp output. There are two thermo “switches” that have different set points...

So none of them are interchangeable. Easy to test with a volt meter.

DC230541-0342-40CF-9D70-F5C939A6D32A.jpeg2D98E5C8-0C8D-40A7-8652-F1FB5BE554A4.jpeg