• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard Engine intermittent starting issues after running then sitting, 2022 Yamaha 255 FSH Sport E

Boater4468

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm looking for any suggestions regarding the ongoing issue I continue to have with my boat. I bought the boat used with 42 HRS on it, test run very good and supposedly had no issues from previous owner.
At 50 hrs. I had a certified Yamaha dealer service the boat, everything checked out fine when they went over the entire boat.
After the service we were on the water and lost the Starboard Engine and would not restart. I took the boat back in for service and the dealer told me there were 2 defective plugs. They re-installed the plugs and said everything was fine. We took the boat out again; everything was running very well. We stopped and anchored for a couple hours of fishing, went to start the Starboard engine and it would not start after 22 tries. I limped the boat back to my lift (it took about 2 hrs.) lifted the boat out of water and flushed the engines and I started the Starboard engine with no issues. I took the boat out again and the same issue happened. Got back to my lift and the Starboard started fine again. I took the boat back to the dealer, they went over it thoroughly and said they could not replicate the issue, that everything was fine.
I was out yesterday, and the same issue happened only this time I got an engine light come on and a loud beep. I killed the power to the boat turned the batteries off reset everything and the boat started right up and ran with no issues. I stopped again same trip, and the issue happened again, loud beep engine check light. I went through the same process again and the boat started up and ran fine for 2 hrs. of trolling. I got back to my lift flushed the engines and there were no issues starting the starboard engine. The mechanic is clearly missing something, but I am at a loss since 2 times they have had it and said there is nothing they could find wrong with it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Intermitting problems are not easy to find and it needs testing when it happends. It only one of 3 things Electrical or fuel.....maybe a ground issue much lower chance of this but still possible..........best guess is electrical usually the coils or the pick up coil in the engine output shaft. Now when she wont start carry a replacement plug on board with you remove one or more coils.......not the plugs and use you spare plug in you coil to see if it fires by laying it on the engine.....You will need to ground the plug I find it easer to use a long wire with alligator clips to clip to plug to the engine motor mounts ect...........if she sparks good........ you know its fuel...... if no spark she an electrical issue..............the dealer can take it from their.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Since you had an alarm and code those are now locked in the ECU, take it back to the dealer and have them check the codes.

It sounds like a heat related electrical issue. My initial guess would be the pick up coil on the engine, there are other threads here with similar symptoms, the mechanic needs to check the ohm reading on this or you can if you have a multi meter and the shop manual. If you can replicate this yourself on the water reliably then you need to get the tech to go for a ride with you.

@David Martin has some great suggestions there! I would add, check the clean out hatch switches for proper adjustment. Or next time it happens if you have people with you, have someone push those switches down with their finger and try to restart. Also check all the wire connections you can for tightness including the battery terminals, grounds on the engine mounts etc…

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
There's been many reports of a similar issue to this. Suggestions from my own experience:
  1. After running the motors at higher than no-wake speeds for a period of time (traveling or water sports), let the motors idle for a minute or two before shutting the boat off. This allows the motors to cool down. If it's hot out, turn the blower on during this cool-down period to cycle some air.
  2. Change your plugs at the beginning of every season AND check your plugs for tightness half way through the season. I've noticed my plugs, even torqued correctly at the beginning of the season, loosen up to the point where they're almost only hand-tight after 15-20 hours.
  3. If you're in a situation where the motors had been running and you had to shut off before letting them cool, and then restart but experience the restart issue, be patient. If I can't crank the engine over in two 3-second turns of the key, I'll tell everyone that we're a bit heat soaked and need to give it a minute. Waiting just 1-2 minutes and retrying will always restart. Cranking 22 times in a row, ouch - that's a good way to burn your starter up. Patience is key.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anmut is right look at the simple switches first and don't forget the neutral safety switch in the throttle first jiggle the throttle on the moto sometimes the safety switch looses contact and kills the ignition.