• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What did you do to your boat today?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! I do think I got the cover on in such a way that it will stay put. Fingers crossed. As for the leak, that amount of water getting isn't going to cause the boat to, like, sink...is it? :eek:

The battery is on so the bilge pump should activate as needed, right?
How did your bilge pump take care of the water that you mentioned above in post #829? Did it happen manually or automatically? You should test your bilge pump at least annually by putting in the drain plugs and filling the bilge with a hose, also pop the bilge pump out of its base to check for debris. As far as the automatic bilge function and your battery, check your owners manual on how the bilge pump operates and what position the battery switch needs to be in. The late model boats started coming with the auto side of the bilge pump wired directly to the battery.

Follow the leak chasing @drewkaree suggested to chase down your leaks, I’d venture most of the water is coming in while you are underway via the clean out tray and mechanical access hatch, some could be getting in via the anchor locker drain as well. Seal and Peel is an easy way to seal up the clean out tray. As @Cobra Jet Steering LLC and others have suggested, try using a toilet seal wax gasket material on the seal of the clean out plug to make it seal well,going to try that myself here soon.

I know logistically you have some challenges, but you might want to consider adding another bilge pump in your boat for redundancy and capacity.

Glad to see you are making it out on the water!

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How did your bilge pump take care of the water that you mentioned above in post #829? Did it happen manually or automatically? You should test your bilge pump at least annually by putting in the drain plugs and filling the bilge with a hose, also pop the bilge pump out of its base to check for debris. As far as the automatic bilge function and your battery, check your owners manual on how the bilge pump operates and what position the battery switch needs to be in. The late model boats started coming with the auto side of the bilge pump wired directly to the battery.

Follow the leak chasing @drewkaree suggested to chase down your leaks, I’d venture most of the water is coming in while you are underway via the clean out tray and mechanical access hatch, some could be getting in via the anchor locker drain as well. Seal and Peel is an easy way to seal up the clean out tray. As @Cobra Jet Steering LLC and others have suggested, try using a toilet seal wax gasket material on the seal of the clean out plug to make it seal well,going to try that myself here soon.

I know logistically you have some challenges, but you might want to consider adding another bilge pump in your boat for redundancy and capacity.

Glad to see you are making it out on the water!

So, I noticed the bilge working automatically as we were bringing the boat into the slip. When I noticed that there was water in the ski locker, I turned it on manually and it pumped a bit more water out. So there must be a bit of a range between where it senses that it "needs" to come on and where it can accumulate before that happens.

One thing I noticed is that the connection for the flush-out hose (in the compartment in the swim platform) is a little loosey goosey. I sealed that up today with some silicone and I got a separate hose attachment that should be easier to install as-needed without cranking on the attach point as much.

There was a bunch of water on top of the cleanout plug today when I took a look (the boat is in my driveway now, so it must have been from before) if that helps narrow down the water intrusion.

Another thing I did the other day was install my cobra fins. Pretty straightforward, but I was a little concerned that not enough of the main vertical bolt was sticking up from above the articulating keel for the top nut to latch onto. I used a bit of threadlocker as recommended, but it seems like a nylon nut without enough thread to actually engage the nylon. Probably fine, right? I'll post a pic later.

Jdl110

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to try to do an electric tower as the speakers on the tower are a bit heavy to lower the tower with 1 person and holding it without hitting them on the windshield. We used 2 500lb heavy duty slow moving actuators hooked up to a 2 channel remote control system. The actuators are thru and side mounted for shear force protection. We made sure that the retracted position of the actuators still requires a manual push to the flush position so pull force isn’t present when screwed down and tight. . Overall i think it’s going to work great for going under lower bridges

Also added some new LED accent lights inside the boat to go along with the speaker LEDs and disconnected the radio from the connext screen changing to an RA 770 main unit and ERX swim platform remote
Added push button starts for the motors and 1 shutoff button that kills both engines

Attachments

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, I noticed the bilge working automatically as we were bringing the boat into the slip. When I noticed that there was water in the ski locker, I turned it on manually and it pumped a bit more water out. So there must be a bit of a range between where it senses that it "needs" to come on and where it can accumulate before that happens.

One thing I noticed is that the connection for the flush-out hose (in the compartment in the swim platform) is a little loosey goosey. I sealed that up today with some silicone and I got a separate hose attachment that should be easier to install as-needed without cranking on the attach point as much.

There was a bunch of water on top of the cleanout plug today when I took a look (the boat is in my driveway now, so it must have been from before) if that helps narrow down the water intrusion.

Another thing I did the other day was install my cobra fins. Pretty straightforward, but I was a little concerned that not enough of the main vertical bolt was sticking up from above the articulating keel for the top nut to latch onto. I used a bit of threadlocker as recommended, but it seems like a nylon nut without enough thread to actually engage the nylon. Probably fine, right? I'll post a pic later.
Yes, nylock nuts don’t work unless the bolt protrudes fully into the nylon, a fastener nut should be completely full.

The water on top of the clean out plug is pretty normal. In case you didn‘t know, you should remove the clean out plug when you come off the water at the same time you pull the drain plugs. That top tray in that area is probably where most of the water is getting in.

That’s good your bilge pump was working automatically… and yes, once the internal float on the bilge pump bottoms out it shuts off, you can usually get some more water out by running it manually but most comes out with the automatic function.

Jdl110

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to try to do an electric tower as the speakers on the tower are a bit heavy to lower the tower with 1 person and holding it without hitting them on the windshield. We used 2 500lb heavy duty slow moving actuators hooked up to a 2 channel remote control system. The actuators are thru and side mounted for shear force protection. We made sure that the retracted position of the actuators still requires a manual push to the flush position so pull force isn’t present when screwed down and tight. . Overall i think it’s going to work great for going under lower bridges

Also added some new LED accent lights inside the boat to go along with the speaker LEDs and disconnected the radio from the connext screen changing to an RA 770 main unit and ERX swim platform remote
Added push button starts for the motors and 1 shutoff button that kills both engines

Links to some videos of the LEDs and actuated tower

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, nylock nuts don’t work unless the bolt protrudes fully into the nylon, a fastener nut should be completely full.

The water on top of the clean out plug is pretty normal. In case you didn‘t know, you should remove the clean out plug when you come off the water at the same time you pull the drain plugs. That top tray in that area is probably where most of the water is getting in.

That’s good your bilge pump was working automatically… and yes, once the internal float on the bilge pump bottoms out it shuts off, you can usually get some more water out by running it manually but most comes out with the automatic function.
So here's a picture of the nut from the top and the bolt from the side. You can see that with the bolt going all the way down to the top of the articulating keel, there's not enough thread on top to go through the nylon.

That said, I did add some threadlocker compound to both the top and bottom (well, more like the middle, where it threads through the U-shaped piece that holds the keel) of the bolt as instructed.

Should I back out the bolt a bit and try to get the threads all the way through the nut? I anticipate having a difficult time doing that without gripping the bolt from the bottom somehow, and potentially messing up the threads.

Or could I add some more threadlocker to the threads just below the nylon to sort of gum them up and discourage any loosening? HALP

top nut.png

bolt.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That nylock nut is useless that way, both as a locking nut, and as a fastener securing device as there isn’t a full nut full of threads. Its hard for me to tell what is going on there as I can’t see the full picture of what is going on.. but if those two flat washers weren’t there there might be enough bolt to penetrate the nut and the nylock sufficiently.

If this bolt and its instructions were part of the steering fins you bought then you need to speak with the seller to find out what the course of action should be. Looks to me like the bolt should be longer, but, again, I can’t see everything that is going on.