• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine breather upgrade? Yes or no? Anyone done it?

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For any of you with the 1.8L SVHO engine- have you done an engine breather upgrade? Thinking about doing this ->

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Part 2 of this question - have any of you pulled off the breather hose and seen this in there? Can’t imagine this traveling to the supercharger can be good.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There’s at least one thread on here talking extensively about this.

This mod is supposed to eliminate oil residue and compressor / intercooler fouling. Looking at your picture of the hose it looks dry, is there oil residue in the breather line? If not then you don‘t have a problem that needs to be corrected.

If you are going to do this put a catch can in line on the crank case breather line. You don’t want to have the crank case breather just venting into the engine bay.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There’s at least one thread on here talking extensively about this.

This mod is supposed to eliminate oil residue and compressor / intercooler fouling. Looking at your picture of the hose it looks dry, is there oil residue in the breather line? If not then you don‘t have a problem that needs to be corrected.

If you are going to do this put a catch can in line on the crank case breather line. You don’t want to have the crank case breather just venting into the engine bay.
There is a foamy residue in the hose. This is why I am thinking about adding the breather filter on the end. Thanks for letting me know about the thread. Will check it out.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is a foamy residue in the hose. This is why I am thinking about adding the breather filter on the end. Thanks for letting me know about the thread. Will check it out.
Okay. Where is your oil level set at? If it’s over full this can cause that issue.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Okay. Where is your oil level set at? If it’s over full this can cause that issue.
Right now it is half way between the marks. I had a low oil pressure alarm a month ago, changed the oil. I had it at the full mark, then sucked about 1/2 quart out.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Right now it is half way between the marks. I had a low oil pressure alarm a month ago, changed the oil. I had it at the full mark, then sucked about 1/2 quart out.
So do you think it’s possible that you got the oil residue when the oil level was at the full level and not between the marks?

Im all for fixing something if there’s a problem, but if it was just a case of having the oil level a bit too high then a fix isn’t necessary. Again, I would not just install a breather on the end of the hose, just plumb in a catch can so you can keep the engine sealed and maintain a vacuum on the crankcase.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks - @FSH 210 Sport - so catch can is the best approach because it maintains a vacuum. that makes more sense than just a breather filter and plug on the intake.

I guess possible that caused the foamy residue. I wouldn’t say we were “over full” but on the top side. I did the change, turned over a few times checked, put in water ran 2 min - checked level while on water. That’s when she was at the top hole in the dipstick. I drained 1/2quart and it dropped to 1/2 way between the two marks. So there wasn’t a lot of run time at the full mark.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Keeping the breather tied into the vacuum of the engine is that you will not get the stink of engine oil vapor in your engine bay. Another thing is that vacuum in the crankcase eliminates piston ring flutter.