• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How strong is braid?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Came across this article this morning….I didn’t start using braid until a couple of years ago and realized very quickly that braid is much much stronger than mono or floro. I’ve used a super improved clinch knot since a High School when I took Coach Cullums hunting and fishing safety class. I may have to learn the Palomar knot and give that a try.

My success fishing for Lake Trout increased when I added a 30’ section of 30# floro line to the 40# braid that’s on my trolling reels.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I remember the first time I switched from mono to Fireline and couldnt believe the difference it made. I could feel a 1/2 ounce egg sinker in 30' of water rolling over the bottom. Downfall to this, since braid has NO stretch, you literately will rip the lips off a fish setting the hook if you have only ever used mono in the past. When trolling, you get an accurate lure depth as the line is "cutting" through the water compared to stretching through the water. When I was first mating in Upstate NY, they use wire line for their Dipsy Divers to get an accurate depth. Once I went with braid, I never went back to mono or floro.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
This is just my opinion and based on my experiences. I only use braid line because it is stronger if you compare with the same line diameter. I have not measured exact line diameters but 40# braid would roughly be the same diameter as 20# mono. When I take inexperienced fishing guests with me I have them use my Zebco spinning reel rods but since braid does not work on Zebco reels they have mono line. Braid is too soft and tangles inside the spool cover because it doesn't like to stay on the little stud on the spool. Where the magic happens with Zebco reels.

On my bait casters and spinners I only use braid. I think braid line is fantastic but there are some drawbacks. It is not clear so I use a 6' floro leader. I tried tying the braid to floro with all the fancy knots you'll find on the Internet. Passing through the rod eyes wears the knot too quickly and seems to break or untie at the knot at the worst time. Now I use a mini high strength swivel and a red plastic bead so not to reel the swivel in the rod eyes. Braid also is more susceptible to wear when rubbing on rough surfaces. Like when I am pulling the bait near a rocky bottom so I cut off 10' of line when the braid becomes "fuzzy". If I get a bird's nest on the spool the braid is harder to untangle. The braid is small and slick and has a tendency to pull into the wound line. Usually not major, but ......once but I hook a very large fish (I think it was a shark) using 30# braid and the pull was so hard the braid broke and the line pulled down into the spool through all the line wraps so much that I could not untangle. Has to cut all the braid off the spool.

Hope this helps.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is just my opinion and based on my experiences. I only use braid line because it is stronger if you compare with the same line diameter. I have not measured exact line diameters but 40# braid would roughly be the same diameter as 20# mono. When I take inexperienced fishing guests with me I have them use my Zebco spinning reel rods but since braid does not work on Zebco reels they have mono line. Braid is too soft and tangles inside the spool cover because it doesn't like to stay on the little stud on the spool. Where the magic happens with Zebco reels.

On my bait casters and spinners I only use braid. I think braid line is fantastic but there are some drawbacks. It is not clear so I use a 6' floro leader. I tried tying the braid to floro with all the fancy knots you'll find on the Internet. Passing through the rod eyes wears the knot too quickly and seems to break or untie at the knot at the worst time. Now I use a mini high strength swivel and a red plastic bead so not to reel the swivel in the rod eyes. Braid also is more susceptible to wear when rubbing on rough surfaces. Like when I am pulling the bait near a rocky bottom so I cut off 10' of line when the braid becomes "fuzzy". If I get a bird's nest on the spool the braid is harder to untangle. The braid is small and slick and has a tendency to pull into the wound line. Usually not major, but ......once but I hook a very large fish (I think it was a shark) using 30# braid and the pull was so hard the braid broke and the line pulled down into the spool through all the line wraps so much that I could not untangle. Has to cut all the braid off the spool.

Hope this helps.
I have a set of small crochet needle / hooks that are very helpful if you get a tangle with braid.

As with most things in life there are trade offs / compromises. I hear you about the splices hangin up a bit going through the eyes, on my casting set ups if I am using a floro leaders I keep it short so it doesn’t come back through the eyes when casting.

Thanks for the post!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I remember the first time I switched from mono to Fireline and couldnt believe the difference it made. I could feel a 1/2 ounce egg sinker in 30' of water rolling over the bottom. Downfall to this, since braid has NO stretch, you literately will rip the lips off a fish setting the hook if you have only ever used mono in the past. When trolling, you get an accurate lure depth as the line is "cutting" through the water compared to stretching through the water. When I was first mating in Upstate NY, they use wire line for their Dipsy Divers to get an accurate depth. Once I went with braid, I never went back to mono or floro.
It is quite amazing what you can feel through the line! I can feel a walleye hit and pin the minnow that is resting on the bottom.

Thanks for the post! Great story about you mating in up state NY LOL!