• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pulse stator on 2020 AR190

Triktar

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I need some feedback. I bought a 2020 Yamaha AR190 brand new in 2020 and as of today I only have about 180 hours on the boat. I live north of Atlanta, Georgia so at the end of the season I have the boat winterized and put it up until spring. At the start of the 2021 season a bolt fractured on the oil cooler and To Yamahas credit they ”good willed it”. Later towards the end of the 2021 season the “Connext” touch screen failed. Again to Yamahas credit they “good willed it” and although it took several months, they got me a replacement. At the beginning of the 2023 season the transducer failed and I was informed that at the moment there are no transducers in stock and they are back ordered. At the end of the 2023 season the boat would have an intermittent habit of not starting when I was parked out on the lake and I was towed in twice. The boat garage I took it to thought it might be the starter relay and replaced it. The problem persisted so I brought it back and this time I was informed by the facility manager that they were certain it was the pulse stator that had malfunctioned and that it would have to be replaced. My question is; “is this a typical thing that goes wrong of a 4 year old boat with 180 hours on it?” How long do pulse stators last?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do not know how common the failure is in the grand scheme of things, but there have been a few posts here with people who had to replace them. Some folks have had their boats for over 10 years with hundreds of hours on them without issue.

When you say it won’t start, do you mean the starter motor wont crank the engine over? Or the starter motor functions and the engine is turning over but will not start? I’m going to guess that the starter motor is not functioning out on the lake ? If this latter thing, that almost sounds like the switch under the clean out hatch not making up all the way. If that switch is depressed all the way, the starter motor will not even function.

Check that safety switch under the clean out hatch for tightness and proper height. There is also the neutral switch on the throttle, if the throttle is not at idle the starter motor will not function ..

Triktar

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for reaching out. Sorry I was not clear. When I said “not starting”. Basically, you go to start the boat you turn the key and “nothing”. No noise, no power, no anything. You might as well be floating on a block of wood with an ignition key stuck in it. Yes the throttle is in neutral and yes the switch on the back hatch was checked. I am now waiting on the pulse stator or pulsar coil to be installed. Yamaha was nice enough to cover the part but the labor is still over 2 grand which included several hours of diagnostics. I am not a whiner but I intentionally boat this boat “brand new” hoping to avoid what has been happening to me over the last 4 years. It looks like this boat turned out to be a lemon.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
so the starter motor does engage? If that’s true, to the best of my knowledge the pulse stator has nothing to do with that.

Is this a Yamaha dealer that is doing the work?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for reaching out. Sorry I was not clear. When I said “not starting”. Basically, you go to start the boat you turn the key and “nothing”. No noise, no power, no anything. You might as well be floating on a block of wood with an ignition key stuck in it. Yes the throttle is in neutral and yes the switch on the back hatch was checked. I am now waiting on the pulse stator or pulsar coil to be installed. Yamaha was nice enough to cover the part but the labor is still over 2 grand which included several hours of diagnostics. I am not a whiner but I intentionally boat this boat “brand new” hoping to avoid what has been happening to me over the last 4 years. It looks like this boat turned out to be a lemon.
If it wouldn't crank it is NOT the pulse pickup/stator
That part does 2 things, the stator part charges the battery and pulse pickup is essentially your crank sensor. It controls timing/spark
If the batteries were charged and it did nothing when you turned the key to crank then its in the starter circuit. Ignition, starter solenoid, Starter, wiring, bad ground etc..

Triktar

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may be correct. This is not my wheelhouse. I am at the mercy of the mechanics.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may be correct. This is not my wheelhouse. I am at the mercy of the mechanics.
I had a bad ignition key switch go bad when my boat was only 6 months old, i had the benefit of swapping to the opposite ignition switch to diag the problem. It would on occasion act like what you are experiencing