• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Saltwater gear

aswft1262

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Moving from fresh water to saltwater (Keys). Just looking for some suggestions for rods, reels, gear, etc. for a 255 FSH
TIA

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t have any useable experience, but my advice would be to buy top quality gear. I’m very happy with my conventional Shimano Tekota 600 line counter reels. Each reel holds 550 yards of 40# braid, super smooth drag, quiet, and a 6:1 retrieve rate.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Moving from fresh water to saltwater (Keys). Just looking for some suggestions for rods, reels, gear, etc. for a 255 FSH
TIA
That's a hard question to answer like that because that fishery has so many different things you can go for. Easiest thing to do would be to just start fishing live bait on the patch reefs with light tackle and I bet some of your freshwater gear would probably work. Can catch tons of different fish with simple fishfinder rigs with live shrimp or small baitfish. From there, ad in a straight line of a big chunk bait or live bait free line into the current for a stray Mahi, tuna, shark, etc. You never know what you may find. If you want to start trolling for big game fish or going after Tarpon, you'll start moving up in equipment size and expense real quick. Learn how to throw a cast net and/or get a ballyhoo hoop. (that didn't come easy for me, but my shoulder is sore right now from cast netting mullet last weekend.)

All of that was for the Atlantic side; Then you also have inshore fishing opportunities on the bay side with redfish, etc, etc. Inshore flyfishing, check.

AND you'll have the ability to go snorkeling for lobsters.
AND you can set crab pots for crabs or go hand netting for crabs

All depends on how many days you have to go fishing. I would say you want gear for a a couple different styles though because if its too windy to get on the atlantic side, you'll want to have some spots to hit inshore. That's how I generally handle things here in Jacksonville as well. If I get out the inlet and its rougher than they predicted, I turn around and hit the creak mouths or find some rock piles. Last time I went didn't take my own advice here a couldn't get offshore and ended up with just a windy boat ride. Gear was a bit too heavy for casting

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's a hard question to answer like that because that fishery has so many different things you can go for. Easiest thing to do would be to just start fishing live bait on the patch reefs with light tackle and I bet some of your freshwater gear would probably work. Can catch tons of different fish with simple fishfinder rigs with live shrimp or small baitfish. From there, ad in a straight line of a big chunk bait or live bait free line into the current for a stray Mahi, tuna, shark, etc. You never know what you may find. If you want to start trolling for big game fish or going after Tarpon, you'll start moving up in equipment size and expense real quick. Learn how to throw a cast net and/or get a ballyhoo hoop. (that didn't come easy for me, but my shoulder is sore right now from cast netting mullet last weekend.)

All of that was for the Atlantic side; Then you also have inshore fishing opportunities on the bay side with redfish, etc, etc. Inshore flyfishing, check.

AND you'll have the ability to go snorkeling for lobsters.
AND you can set crab pots for crabs or go hand netting for crabs

All depends on how many days you have to go fishing. I would say you want gear for a a couple different styles though because if its too windy to get on the atlantic side, you'll want to have some spots to hit inshore. That's how I generally handle things here in Jacksonville as well. If I get out the inlet and its rougher than they predicted, I turn around and hit the creak mouths or find some rock piles. Last time I went didn't take my own advice here a couldn't get offshore and ended up with just a windy boat ride. Gear was a bit too heavy for casting
Thats an awesome post!