• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So happy to finally be apart of the FSH Fam!

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Hello all,

I just purchased a brand new 23 255 FSH Seafoam Green after going back and forth on some used ones. Maybe you guys have answered these questions before and if so, I'm sorry for not finding the answers already. Keep in mind I have purchased the boat but its still at the dealership and I pick it up Monday or I would just walk outside and measure myself.

1). I'm definitely going to do an audio upgrade and want to go with the JL M6 6.5/M6 10" sub/JL 800/8 MVI and JL 600/1 mono for the sub. I believe it comes stock with 6 6.5 wetsounds, but I believe a lot of you are running the 8.8's on the side of the helm is that correct? I'm guessing you just have to make the holes a little bigger to fit the new speakers correct? Also I really like the idea of putting two speakers facing the rear for music when backed into the island etc. Also will be adding the Kicker KCM5 as Zach in MS recommended. What else do I need to order for the installers as far as wiring, fuse box, or anything else the installer would need to complete the job? Will the 800/8 be powerful enough to run all those speakers?

2) What do you guys recommend as far as having enough life jackets to accommodate a boat full but without taking up too much storage space? If anyone can send me a link it would be greatly appreciated!

3) For fishing should I get another cooler or is the storage on the boat sufficient? Was thinking of upgrading the cooler under the seat and wasn't sure which would be the max size to maximize drink storage as far as quart size or dimensions?

4) Does anyone have a pic of the seats that attach to the back so you can sit underwater? Still haven't seen them.

I love forums as you guys have more knowledge than anyone out there and I'm happy to be apart of the club finally!

Thanks for any input and suggestions!

Jarrett in Clearwater, FL

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With respect to life jackets, you should at least have USCG Approved Life Jackets Type II for every person on board, Plus 1 Type IV as a throwable. I keep mine with a rope attached to it. If you plan on going out into the ocean far consider having some Type I's aboard as well. Having a life jacket on board for everyone but some that don't fit people is also not a good thing. I can carry 10 people in my boat so I have plenty and extra's when needed.

Personally I have 20 life Jackets now and 3 floatation devices, various sizes. You tend to accumulate them over time, on sale or when I have had smaller children and bigger adults.
  • 1 Type IV throwable cushion with rope attached to it.
  • 2 Water rescue bags with rope attached in Mesh bags. 50' and 75'
  • 4 inflatable CO2 cartridge Vests Type II (Note that these only count if they are being worn. USCG can be sticklers about it.) Awesome and comfortable. I usually always wear mine will driving in the Great Lakes and Ocean. When it gets choppy or rough I have the family put them on as well. There are 4 of us.
  • 4 Neoprene Water Sport Life Jackets different sizes USCG Approved
  • 6 Watersport Life Jackets USCG Approved
  • I also have 4 of the original yellow Type II's that came with the boat. I have them stored under my back seat storage. What's nice is they keep my other gear from sliding back and I figure if I run across people in distress or a capsized boat I could start throwing those if needed.
  • I have 2 type I's for when I know I am going to venture out miles into the Great Lakes alone with the Admiral. I don't keep them in the boat until needed.
One of the challenges that I ran across right away, was that when the kids would bring friends, I didn't have enough of the right sizes. Some kids are just small and skinny. If you don't have a proper fitting vest on them, during watersports it can shoot up over their head and come off, when falling or even swimming if it is too loose. Now that the kids and their friends are older and bigger it is getting easier. The other problem I ran into, was my daughter brought her friend who was a big plus size. I felt horrible that I didn't have a vest that would be safe and properly fit her so she could enjoy doing some watersports, I stopped on the way to the lake to get a big and Tall XXXL. I didn't want her to be embarrassed if she couldn't fit in what I had on the boat, and the largest I had was XXL.

What types and configuration of Floatation is situational. It depends on the water I am on, the conditions, are we doing water sports, is immediate rescue likely, and the sizes of the people going out on the boat. I always figure that out and modify what I take out on the trip. But I always have the yellow/orange ones, the throw bags and the Type IV as well as the inflatables in the boat and they never get taken out.

One last thing, I picked up a couple of dog adjustable flotations and if someone wants to bring their dog I am covered. We get out 5-10 miles and a storm hits it could be bad if the dog goes over. Also some of the rivers we boat in can get like a bath tub and in areas have 7-10 mph current. Seen dogs jump off boats for whatever reason and had issues. Especially the Detroit River

I always check out the end of season sales at Dunham's, Dick's and Sportsman's Warehouse. When they send me a coupon and they deep discount I always go check them out.

At the very least you need to have one Type I or Type II on your boat for every person aboard. If you have inflatables, they must be worn to count. Also 1 Type IV throwable at all times.

The other recommendation I will give you is that flotation should always be accessible fairly easy, not buried or shoved back under things that you can't get to. When you need it in an emergent situation the quicker the better.

Everyone has their own way of storing theirs, after a couple trips out you will get a feel for what works best for you.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
With respect to life jackets, you should at least have USCG Approved Life Jackets Type II for every person on board, Plus 1 Type IV as a throwable. I keep mine with a rope attached to it. If you plan on going out into the ocean far consider having some Type I's aboard as well. Having a life jacket on board for everyone but some that don't fit people is also not a good thing. I can carry 10 people in my boat so I have plenty and extra's when needed.

Personally I have 20 life Jackets now and 3 floatation devices, various sizes. You tend to accumulate them over time, on sale or when I have had smaller children and bigger adults.
  • 4 inflatable CO2 cartridge Vests Type II (Note that these only count if they are being worn. USCG can be sticklers about it.) Awesome and comfortable. I usually always wear mine will driving in the Great Lakes and Ocean. When it gets choppy or rough I have the family put them on as well. There are 4 of us.
  • I also have 4 of the original yellow Type II's that came with the boat. I have them stored under my back seat storage. What's nice is they keep my other gear from sliding back and I figure if I run across people in distress or a capsized boat I could start throwing those if needed.
  • I have 2 type I's for when I know I am going to venture out miles into the Great Lakes alone with the Admiral. I don't keep them in the boat until needed.
One of the challenges that I ran across right away, was that when the kids would bring friends, I didn't have enough of the right sizes. Some kids are just small and skinny. If you don't have a proper fitting vest on them, during watersports it can shoot up over their head and come off, when falling or even swimming if it is too loose. Now that the kids and their friends are older and bigger it is getting easier. The other problem I ran into, was my daughter brought her friend who was a big plus size. I felt horrible that I didn't have a vest that would be safe and properly fit her so she could enjoy doing some watersports, I stopped on the way to the lake to get a big and Tall XXXL. I didn't want her to be embarrassed if she couldn't fit in what I had on the boat, and the largest I had was XXL.

What types and configuration of Floatation is situational. It depends on the water I am on, the conditions, are we doing water sports, is immediate rescue likely, and the sizes of the people going out on the boat. I always figure that out and modify what I take out on the trip. But I always have the yellow/orange ones, the throw bags and the Type IV as well as the inflatables in the boat and they never get taken out.

One last thing, I picked up a couple of dog adjustable flotations and if someone wants to bring their dog I am covered. We get out 5-10 miles and a storm hits it could be bad if the dog goes over. Also some of the rivers we boat in can get like a bath tub and in areas have 7-10 mph current. Seen dogs jump off boats for whatever reason and had issues. Especially the Detroit River

I always check out the end of season sales at Dunham's, Dick's and Sportsman's Warehouse. When they send me a coupon and they deep discount I always go check them out.

At the very least you need to have one Type I or Type II on your boat for every person aboard. If you have inflatables, they must be worn to count. Also 1 Type IV throwable at all times.

The other recommendation I will give you is that flotation should always be accessible fairly easy, not buried or shoved back under things that you can't get to. When you need it in an emergent situation the quicker the better.

Everyone has their own way of storing theirs, after a couple trips out you will get a feel for what works best for you.
That’s an awesome post HOD! The only thing I would add is that I think the 252/ 255 FSH models have pfd storage on the top above the helm.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s an awesome post HOD! The only thing I would add is that I think the 252/ 255 FSH models have pfd storage on the top above the helm.
Ahhhhh yes that is how the better half lives :)

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Not gonna lie, the new boat makes the Escalade look better!

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

What a great post!

PFD’s for the family, their friends, visiting dogs, and even strangers in distress! Bravo!

Great Dad moment, stopping to get another PFD for your daughter‘s friend.

I will just add the personally, I find the best PFD to be one that is comfortable, as that vastly increases the chance of it being worn. We routinely were inflatables as we find them comfortable. Adverse conditions, we switch out from inflatables.

Jim

drowan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In regards to cooler I replaced the Yamaha cooler with a 65 quart yeti.

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length

drowan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Awesome thank you!

Mid life crisis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
From what I’ve heard about the rear seats is they are back ordered. I just brought home my 222 Sport E and tried to negotiate them into the price but every dealer said they are back ordered so I backed off on that bit. If I had a bigger truck I would have gone for the 255. Such an amazing boat.

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I ordered the seats but they have no estimated arrival date just had to get in line so to speak for an allocation. I have upgraded the cooler went with a hooked 75q which fits perfect and gives the boat some color inside. Also got the name put on, and ordered the rear sunshade from cycle springs which I LOVE. You can ride full speed with it up no problem. Some new pics

Attachments