• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L engines missing/vibrating

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The shims I'm pretty sure are unique to your install/hull/engine. If it's all well aligned, after coupler replacement, age, etc and the added shim makes it worse...it seems you are better aligned than before. Bad alignment might also explain your coupler eaten up?

Measure and if it all lines up you are good.

This is not from your boat's manual, but not sure how much this alignment instructions have changed. Perhaps use with caution? or seek a service manual for yours? Hope it helps.
The rubber piece was fine as I changed it thinking it was bad but coupler still had play until engine was better aligned to remove play.

Yip
Its hard to be in spec when your talking .05mm and sticking your head down there. I have it flat around majority of coupler at the moment with zero to little play

Re installing pump this week and fingers crossed I addressed engine alignment troubles or I am looking for something not there.

Boat accelerates great but different than before. Its hard to explain but it works!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the spec on the page posted, the coupler should be 2-4 mm apart (with the rubber insert), so if you have zero play in that direction, it is probably too close and needs to be backed off. 2-4 mm should be measurable (even by eye).

As to the vertical alignment, that one is 0-.5 mm. That you can measure with a feeler gauge, like you do for points or a spark plug. Put a straight edge on one half and try to slide a feeler gauge of .5 mm in the gap. No vision necessary...

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With a new coupler should it be completely tight with no twisting movement or have a little play. I just checked mine and it's a little loose.
What would a shop charge to replace these ?
Can the engine slide forward without disconnecting anything except the exhaust coupler and intake hose ?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can the engine slide forward without disconnecting anything except the exhaust coupler and intake hose ?
I took IM off to have more space to move and lift.

A shop would charge no less than 500 bucks.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took IM off to have more space to move and lift.

A shop would charge no less than 500 bucks.
IM ?

Can you remove the single bolt through the mounts or do you have to pull the two that mount it to the hull ?

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I removed the entire airbox assembly. This is very simple and opens up a lot of access. The rubber coupler between the exhaust and waterbox also needs to be loosened so they will seperate when sliding the engine forward. If I recall, I don't think I disconnected or removed anything else.

You should remove the single bolt between the engine and the motor mount. I have heard of people snapping bolts off when trying to remove the ones that attach the mount to the boat.

The single bolts are red loctited and the "twisting" of the rubber mount (when trying to break these loose) makes removing these a pain. There is minimal room to get to these. The one under the exhaust is especially bad for access. I had to climb into the engine bay and access it from the rear.

The original shims under the motor mounts should keep your engine at the proper height alignment as long as you re-install them exactly the way the factory did. For the longitudinal clearance, I used 2 shims (thickness per the service manual) and placed them between the couplers at 3 and 9 o'clock. With these in place, I just slid the engine back into place and the shims kept the required clearance.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IM ?

Can you remove the single bolt through the mounts or do you have to pull the two that mount it to the hull ?
Intake Manifold.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any easy ways to lift the motor without an A frame or a tree ? Can you run a 4X4 across the boat and lift with a come along ?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got a rope under oil pan and used extreme lifting abilities when I did it in garage

You got this.

I loosened EM bolts just enough to lift engine and then removed one bolt and shim underneath.

Carefully not to have one stick and find it later like me once you slide engine forward off mount.

Blocking bottom to support it may work if you can pull and lift. It's difficult with one set of hands.
Wish I could give you a hand

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I finally got to take the boat out this past weekend. I just wanted to share that the rubber couplers were the cause of the noise in the first post. The engine vibrating/noise at idle is completely gone.