• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

#1 on Bucket List...Lake Powell

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You won't be able to launch from Antelope Point :). Their launch ramp is out of the water right now due to the water level :-(.

Regarding Walmart... Yeah, I know right?! Apparently there is so much volume that goes through that Walmart that they have a liquor store in it with really awesome prices.

As it relates to staying away from the main channel (not called the narrows)... you'll never avoid the chop. The main channel will be leveraged no matter what, even if you're able to use the CRC to avoid going south to get from Wahweap to the channel below Warm Creek. Keep in mind, if it's deep enough for the tour boats to use it, they will... so tour boats will use the CRC when it's open. You don't want to be near them, holy crap it's scary... I've been driving my houseboat in the cut when a tourboat was coming back, practically had to change my underpants afterward.

To avoid a choppy channel, travel early in the day. Also, note that winds come primarily from the SW and blow toward the NE (up lake). So if you get caught in a wind storm, it's best to find a bay that can shield you from the wind (those are usually on the South-East part of the lake).

This is a copy-paste of a part of a post on WW: "Generally, prevailing winds are southwest and westerly.. That means they fairly well align with the lake from the dam up river.. And that’s the direction of wind driven wave action.. To dodge the tempest, most deep side canyons will get you out of rough waters but not necessarily out of the wind itself.. Swirling winds in the canyons make direction impossible to predict.. And, some canyons act as a funnel to channel winds and at times accelerate them."

Also, paper map is a must (and put Navionics on your phone and download the map before you leave civilization), but in the mean time... check out Fred's: http://fredsliquorstore.com/maps.html

I'm not sure if Fred's has their maps that they sell.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have a chartplotter. I was talking about the narrows between the Glen Canyon Dam/Wahweap and the main lake via Antelope. I forget the actual name of the cut but I thought it was referred to as "the narrows". I hope the cut is open, because avoiding the vertical walls and chop in the narrows is optimal. I am sure the walls are pretty vertical in the cut as well, but they aren't as deep and vertical as the narrows by a long shot! The wind from high based thunderstorms looks wicked from the air. As long as your not under hail or lightning, were pretty good around here, but out there...I don't want to be near it at all. I am going to get a handheld vhf with weather.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have never heard "the channel" referred to as "the narrows", but you are definitely talking about the channel :). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the CRC is open, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. Only way that's going to happen is if we have the wettest April and May in all history.

Yes it can get really bad. I have never had a horrible issue, though a couple times I went and hid in a bay to wait out a wind storm.

Also, I was thinking about this earlier... remember that Lake Powell is an infested water body, so be sure you clean drain and dry your boat after you remove it from the lake.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would like to have a good lake map that contains contour lines with markings. I guess a lake that fluctuates as much as Powell may be hard to read, but I want one. I think I can set my chart plotter to read based on current elevation pool level.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My home lake is also "infested". We know the drill.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
All of the charts refer to that channel between the dam and the main lake that passes by Antelope Marina as the narrows. I have read it in other posts too, but I have never been there so I believe you. It may actually be a point of narrow area in the channel close to Antelope and not the channel itself. See below...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have Stan Jones Lake Powell Map and guide. In the center of the pic, it is labeled,"the narrows".
image.jpg

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow... well I'll be. I've never seen it referred to as that. Either way, I'll call it the channel (aka "the main channel") because everyone else does :).

Navionics is probably the best chart plotter for lake powell. Ever since they added sonarcharts the resolution of the depths is unbelievably accurate. Navionics you can set a depth offset as well (though I think it pulls it from your GPS elevation, since mine seems to auto-set every time I use it). I'm also bias'd toward Navionics because I also have SonarPhone which integrates with Navionics really well.

I've got a Fish-n-map CO lake powell South map that has contour lines and all sorts of stuff (it's the best map for LP). I have 2 of them (one on the boat and one in my office) and then another one that is permanent on our houseboat if you want me to mail you one. I was actually thinking about tossing it in the garbage just the other day while cleaning my messy office.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If I knew where to get it I could just order and save you the time and money. Thanks!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
"Miracle" May added at least another 2 million acre feet into Powell. The cut will be open through the summer and most likely the winter and spring at this point.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The snowfall in colo certainly had to contribute as well, and glad it is back up! We may get in much more boating!

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Snowfall was about 3 million acre feet.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So how far did it bring the lake up and how much water is in the Castle cut right now?

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Currently the lake is 3606 which is about 16 feet above the low this spring. The lake is coming up about 9 inches a day right now. The cuts about 26 feet deep currently. My best guess is that the lake will go up another 5 feet at least which would be an increase from last year.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

Go there, it's updated every day or so. As long as the lake elevation is above 3583 then you're okay (just avoid the right/south side of the cut when getting close to warm creek bay). I hear they are going to equalize lake powell with mead this year, so outflows are supposed to increase. Right now, things are not nearly as grim as they were before - which is awesome, but remember, last year LP went up about 40' in elevation only to have it right back down to about the same level this year as it started last year.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel I wish there was a way to have a truck, fifth wheel, and full size boat in tow and stay under length. I could not make that trip without my boat, would not make it without an extra vehicle, and would want to have my own quarters too. I guess you can't have everything, at least very simply or cheaply. I have considered a fifth wheel towing a pair of jet skis, but after being spoiled with a boat, skis are just another boat accessory in my mind. And then you could fly close, and rent a car, but then less gear, and a rental boat??? Oh, sounds painful. We are all spoiled with the yamahas!!

Sounds like a fun trip.
I haven't been on the forum in some time. Did I miss somewhere that you got a fifth wheel?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think @jawsf16 was commenting on our purchase of the motorhome. You knew that we bought a motorhome didn't you @farrelltravis ? What he was saying, was that he wanted his own quarters, the boat, and a vehicle. We are going to tow the boat with the bus, and rent a car in Page while there for running around and transportation. We have a Blue Ox tow bar on the bus already, and just have to settle on a new "TOAD" (towed vehicle), mount a back plate, and we will have mobile wheels as well as a mobile house! There are aspects of the game that have certain costs and issues, but there is always a compromise to get what you want accomplished. Travis, how about meeting us back at Lake Murray to camp at Elephant Rock? It is about a mile north of the floating cabins just north of the Tipps Point launch. I know logistics is a key for you guys with a boat/5th wheel/truck...but it can be done, and even Clara has said that she should just follow me with the truck all the way to Powell! I said, "are you f'ing CRAZY?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I haven't been on the forum in some time. Did I miss somewhere that you got a fifth wheel?
Nope - I contemplated it a while back, but the only benefit for my family would be staying next to the water with our boat. A condo near Highport made more sense for us... until the floods!!