• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

19 footer questions

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great post. I am really really torn now more than ever over the 190 and 195. Something keeps telling me to get the faster boat, but the practical family side of me thinks exactly what you are saying about the 190 being perfectly fine. I think we are going this Saturday to look in person so we will see what they have and what appeals to us the most. That 5k savings would put alot of gas in the tank and accessories on the boat but is that what I really want.... Decisions decisions decisions.
I wanted to circle back on this as I thought about it a bit more last night.....I thought some background might be worthwhile.

We went looking for an AR240. We wanted the larger boat for space and power. Those are great boats, and given the right set of circumstances I would own one. We quickly realized that storage was an issue for us. The nearest storage facility was 10ish miles away, and was going to be ~$125/mo for a 30' deep covered spot. Once we realized that we now have a garage (only been in the house about 18mo, had a condo before), and that it was actually deep enough to fit the 19' boats we moved to considering those. The price to play dropped instantly from ~$55k to ~$35k (AR240 vs AR195). That $125/mo in storage buys a lot of fuel!

Once we made the decision on a 19' we had to choose between the SX, AR and FSH. The FSH lost quickly do to the nature of the boat being designed around an activity we don't ever do, fishing, so that was easy. We quickly gravitated to the AR from the SX for the tower. While we aren't a huge watersports family, we both liked the tower for the usefulness of keeping the bimini poles up and off the boat, as well as keeping the anchor light off the hull and on the tower. It also doubles as a GREAT towel rack! It has a nicer/sportier look overall, and it has helped get people out of the water that have never used skis or boards before.

So.....Now back to the question at hand.....195 vs 190......To be a little more clear on our choices here is a link to where I explained in a little better detail why we chose what we did. This format was a little better than my above post I think.

Ar190 or ar195?

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so now let's really throw a loop in things. Should I consider the 21 AR210 or SX 210? Originally I said no because it wont fit in the garage, but I want to make sure I am not messing this up. The ar210 in the blue color is awesome. I am also partial to the SX210 in red. It seems like to me the seating is the same in the sx and ar. Both appear to have the full bench instead of the sx having the two captains chairs. It seems like from the reviews that the 210 is relatively slow though. But I can have more room. I can't wait for tomorrow. Going to Lodders Marine in Fairfield Oh to check them out

Uriah N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am in the same situation as you Kyle. Was set on the SX195, but thinking through this further we are thinking we want the 21ft. for 10 man capacity.

Let us know where you've landed.

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in the same situation as you Kyle. Was set on the SX195, but thinking through this further we are thinking we want the 21ft. for 10 man capacity.

Let us know where you've landed.
We ended up buying the AR195. I wanted the speed more than I wanted the extra room. After walking through them side by side the 21 ft is noticeably bigger but the storage in the 195 was also great. We pick it up in two days. I cant wait

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I was just in Lodders this morning picking some stuff up I don't need. Looked at the 195 they had on the floor. Very nice! Congrats.

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the AR195 and EXTREMELY happy. I went with 19ft because we trailer most the time and it's much more manageable, we like to hit different lakes and try them. I love 250hp, my buddy bought SX190 and now wishes he had more power so glad I made that choice. Having the wake tower and bench seating are big plus to me. Much more room with bench seating and cooler slide under bench seat perfectly for quick access but yet out of the way. The wake tower Bimini I love since it isn't in the way when folded up like the SX bimini. Plus you can add board holders, speakers, lighting and all sorts of goodies to the wake tower. The 195 comes with lots of other upgrades over the 190 also. My thoughts, hope it helps.

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats exactly why we bought the 195 too. I can't wait to get it tomorrow. What kind of top speed you guys getting out of these. 50+?

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thats exactly why we bought the 195 too. I can't wait to get it tomorrow. What kind of top speed you guys getting out of these. 50+?
52 on a good day ( but by the dreamimeter on the dash)... people sitting in the bow drops about 4-5 mph...

Mike sanders

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an ar195 the arch will pay off on trade value. I have gotten lots of compliments on my boat. My top speed has been 50 mph I added thrust vectors and it handles very well. I'm happy with the room and storage. Only draw back is the low free board.

Attachments

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anybody tell me the distance between the floor and bottom of the bench seat? Im trying to decide if a small cooler would fit or if we would be better off putting something else under there

Nevermind, this forum is awesome, not only was it already asked but there is an actual picture of someone measuring it.

Last edited:

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anybody tell me the distance between the floor and bottom of the bench seat? Im trying to decide if a small cooler would fit or if we would be better off putting something else under there

Nevermind, this forum is awesome, not only was it already asked but there is an actual picture of someone measuring it.

I bought the soft cooler recommended on here, can't remember brand and not home at moment. It works awesome and slides perfectly under seat. Thinking it was around $80....worth every pennie.

Mike sanders

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

We went with the Coleman stacker cooler as well, which you can pick up for about $20 if I remember right.

KyleP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m going to order that Coleman cooler. I feel like every time I get on this forum I spend money on something g lol

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m going to order that Coleman cooler. I feel like every time I get on this forum I spend money on something g lol
I feel your pain as I have a whole laundry list of wants for the summer.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We went with the 190 over the 195. Fuel consumption and additional purchase price were the drivers, the difference in purchase cost and fuel usage equates to about $200-$250/mo assuming 100hrs/yr usage. Zero regrets. Normal load is two "average" families. 4 adults and 2-4 kids. Power has not been an issue, space has not been an issue, and fun has always been had.

I'll try to answer one at a time and add some comments below that......Here we go....

The 190 is plenty in my opinion. Largest load I've had is 7 people on boar (4 adults, 3 children). Tubing and wakeboarding was done easily, it planed as well as any other 19'er I've driven, and cruised at 6k rpm around 30-32mph with the bimini deployed. If you want to go 50mph with 8 adults, get the 195, if you're a little more laid back on the water, the 190 is plenty adequate. ALSO....if you're at elevation, the 195 is a better option as altitude sucks performance.

Wake board/wake skate = 18ish mph
Tube with adults = 25ish mph
Tube with kids = 18ish mph
Wake Surf = 11ish mph (and probably NOT a good idea with any 19'r)

The 190 is plenty capable of all these right off the trailer without mods. I've tried them all :D

Normal and fun is what you make it. If you like top speed runs, do that. If you like lounging off the back, do that. It's up to you, and one of the better parts of boating. Especially when you have such a versatile boat as these Yamaha's. Our AR190 does most things well. I'm not going to win a drag race on the water. I'm not going to have the largest wake for surfing. I don't have the loudest stereo, or the most vibrant graphics. I do however think that I have one of the highest "smiles per dollar" ratios on the water. I get a LOT of enjoyment out of our $30k boat!

The AR190 fit out needs and wants without the additional purchase price or fuel consumption. I have zero regrets in the middle of our first season. The best advice I can get is to have an HONEST and CALM discussion about what you need and want compared to how much you have to spend. The 190 is cheaper to buy and operate than the 195. The $5k purchase price difference between the two is valid, and you get a LOT of upgrades for that $5k. The 195 is a great boat. The 190 is a great boat. IMO they are both SIGNIFICANTLY better than the I/O offerings in this size. This boat is way way nicer than our last 19'r (1998 Rinker 182). More space, More power, More amenities. Easier to maintain.......just generally better in all regards....

Also, welcome to the forums! Lots of great folks here!

I agree with all of your comments, we also went with the AR190 because it was the right boat for us. One day we may go bigger, but this was our first boat and it does everything we want. 6 adults can go out for the day, try any sports we want, swim, hangout and have fun!

Like everyone says though, it was the right choice for us, the cost/benefit for the upgrade wasn’t right for us, but that’s not to say that for you it wouldn’t be! If price, size and maintainance costs werent a factor factor we might have a 242X!

One thing to note though, our AR190 does have surge brakes on the trailer, this may be a Canadian difference, but worth pointing out as I see many comments about this.

Welcome and good luck with your search, we had the best summer yet with our new boat last year and I can’t wait to get back on the water!