• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 AR 230 should we buy?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hard to tell with the pic, but I thought that graphic on the engine cover that you can barely see said HO?

You can't go wrong at that price point either way IMO. You'll enjoy it just the same as you really don't know the difference anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd bet you still don't lose money when you go to upgrade either, regardless of what motor it has. If I hadn't already bought my FSH, I'd jump on that deal. Even moreso as it has the twin captains chairs which I personally love.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So if it ends up being the engine as stated in the add and not the HO engine is that a major deal?
It would be when you want to sell the boat and may be the reason it did not sell on eBay. Ask yourself, do I want the 220 horsepower boat or the 320 horsepower boat? How much less would the 220 hp boat need to be to justify the purchase?

All 2007 and later 230s have HO engines.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It wouldn't be 220hp in either case. It's either 280 or 320. 110's were only used in the 21' boats.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Further, 110's look way different, no engine cover at all I believe.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There are benefits of NOT buying your second boat first. That is kind of a running joke on this forum.;)

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The seller is in TN but the boat is from FL. I would be more concerned about possible salt damage than the 280/320 engine difference.

I don't see any obvious salt damage in the pics, but that's what I'd be looking closely for when inspecting it personally.

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would be when you want to sell the boat and may be the reason it did not sell on eBay. Ask yourself, do I want the 220 horsepower boat or the 320 horsepower boat? How much less would the 220 hp boat need to be to justify the purchase?

Yea that makes sense, although it was only on ebay for 2 days when i contacted the guy. dont know if thats a large enough sample size to know if it didnt sell because of the time frame. I'm just going to have to call the guy tomorrow and see if he can take a picture of the motors up close for me.

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The seller is in TN but the boat is from FL. I would be more concerned about possible salt damage than the 280/320 engine difference.

I don't see any obvious salt damage in the pics, but that's what I'd be looking closely for when inspecting it personally.
Where would the area of most concern for salt damage be at, and how can I tell if it is salt damage?

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I have noticed on all sites that the ones labeled HO same year and size are generally 4-10k more expensive. Guess it just comes down to spending a little less and riding it for one summer and if we love it purchasing the exact one we want next year and if we dont get to heavy into boating then we saved a little money either way.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I finally got pics to load, did not on first visit, The air filter covers appear to be the same as on my H.O. engines.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where would the area of most concern for salt damage be at, and how can I tell if it is salt damage?
In jet drive. Look at the intake grate underneath the boat. Inspect the jet nozzle, cables, and bucket. Pull the cleanout plugs and put the throttle forward to get a look/feel at the front and back of the impeller. Check the condition of the anodes. Also open the engine compartment and look at all the metal fittings so see if there is excessive corrosion. Looks OK in the pic, but worth looking at closer.

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally got pics to load, did not on first visit, The air filter covers appear to be the same as on my H.O. engines.
Well thats good news then! Would be great if it were the HO, but then it makes me wonder why the price would be so much cheaper that the other ones that are 22-30k for the same everything. hmmm

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In jet drive. Look at the intake grate underneath the boat. Inspect the jet nozzle, cables, and bucket. Pull the cleanout plugs and put the throttle forward to get a look/feel at the front and back of the impeller. Check the condition of the anodes. Also open the engine compartment and look at all the metal fittings so see if there is excessive corrosion. Looks OK in the pic, but worth looking at closer.
ok thanks, ill be sure to check all of that!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Paid very low 20s for ours a year ago.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the MR-1 series engines, I believe the only difference in the air filter covers is the stick-on decal - otherwise they are the same cover.
Well thats good news then! Would be great if it were the HO, but then it makes me wonder why the price would be so much cheaper that the other ones that are 22-30k for the same everything. hmmm
I wouldn't be counting those unhatched chickens just yet :rolleyes:

I'm 99.44% certain there is no such thing as a 2006 RED AR230 HO as built at the factory. All the 2006 AR230's with HO engines were black and all the 2006 AR230's with non-HO were red.

But as already stated, not really a big deal. The difference is 320HP or 280HP (not 220HP). The 110HP engine was only in the 21-foot boat.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the same thing your looking at I was going to buy new 2 years ago instead I found a good deal on a 2011 240 and went that way first to see if I would like it. I upgraded to a 2017 240 this year to go newer no regrets starting with the older boat. One of these days I will find time to take the new one out lol still sitting in storage untouched ugh! As for the salt issues on these boats check all the cables and the hose clamps they will give you a quick indication if it has not been properly cared for in a salt water environment. Even then it wouldn't stop me from buying the boat but it would let me know I probably have a few extra maintenance items I'm going to have to take care of up front Like replacing cables and clamps and possibly a few other things.

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the MR-1 series engines, I believe the only difference in the air filter covers is the stick-on decal - otherwise they are the same cover.

I wouldn't be counting those unhatched chickens just yet :rolleyes:

I'm 99.44% certain there is no such thing as a 2006 RED AR230 HO as built at the factory. All the 2006 AR230's with HO engines were black and all the 2006 AR230's with non-HO were red.

But as already stated, not really a big deal. The difference is 320HP or 280HP (not 220HP). The 110HP engine was only in the 21-foot boat.
lol love the 99.44% statistic!! Either way seems like for our first boat it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker if it's not the HO. I'm just ready to hit the lake at this point!

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the same thing your looking at I was going to buy new 2 years ago instead I found a good deal on a 2011 240 and went that way first to see if I would like it. I upgraded to a 2017 240 this year to go newer no regrets starting with the older boat. One of these days I will find time to take the new one out lol still sitting in storage untouched ugh! As for the salt issues on these boats check all the cables and the hose clamps they will give you a quick indication if it has not been properly cared for in a salt water environment. Even then it wouldn't stop me from buying the boat but it would let me know I probably have a few extra maintenance items I'm going to have to take care of up front Like replacing cables and clamps and possibly a few other things.
Ok great, thanks for the help! I'm hoping it all works the same for us

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lol love the 99.44% statistic!! Either way seems like for our first boat it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker if it's not the HO.
Ha ha. The only reason its not 100% is that was 11 years ago so my memory may be a little off. :(

But I can tell you that I was shopping for a new AR230 in 2006. Only choices for the AR230 that year was Black or Red, HO and non-HO respectively. Thought I wanted HO, but also wanted Red. I test drove both and could barely tell the difference in power. Sure I would've liked to have a Red HO but it wasn't an option. Considering I still have that same boat today, I would say it definitely wasn't a deal breaker! This is the boat that put the whole boating industry on notice that there is a new sheriff in town.

Its a great boat and looks to be a good deal. Could be legit, but of course you'll need to verify that. If it is legit you wont regret the choice.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There often is a big disconnect between asking prices and sales prices. The $16,000 price is typical for a 2005 or 2006 230.