• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 AR 230 should we buy?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just went down to take this pic. of my engines. The red lettering in the lower left corner of the cover says "high output" as it also appears to be on the boat in question. What caught my eye is that they appear to be 180 deg difference in the cover mounting. 20170416_112005#1.jpg If all of the decals have not been removed from the engine hatch, look for these on each side of the latch.20170416_112543.jpg 20170416_112559.jpgMy engine does have a manufacture date of 09/06 on it. As has been said the horsepower is not a big difference, but we always want more and it is always good to know what you are getting ahead of time, fewer oh crap moments. Check all the items that @maboat listed above. These are great boats, I have experienced many hours of trouble free boating. My only two issues were the factory radio not working, easy fix and the speedometer paddle wheel bad, put in gps speedo.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just had one of those "oh crap moments" just did the calculation of kw to hp and 104.5kw equals 140hp, but says high output all over the boat. Grrrrrrrr. Thought it was 160 each. still runs at 48.6mph at W.O.T. Knowing this now I want 20 more hp.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe 104.5 kw / 140 HP is the number used for certification that the engine would produce that as a minimum and 160 was the marketing number.

In 2006 a 998 cc 95.6 kw and a 1052 104.5 kw engine were certified for use in Yamaha boats. The difference may be minimal.

The 75 kw rated engine that was used in the 210 series was not certified until later.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is anyone concerned about the SBT sticker on the back and what it potentially represents?

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@zipper

how to positively ID an HO:
"High Output" on the helm gauges
"High Output" on the airboxes
"1052cc" on engine head cover stickers
on the non-HO, there is a blocky "water tempering" fixture under the exhaust manifold at the aft-end of the engine. on the HO, the 2 water hoses here plug directly into the case.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@CrankyGypsy Yes I have all of that, but when I converted the kw output and came up with 140hp it raised a big red flag. It has been explained to me as a minimum power output rating. It confused me a bit because manufacturers usually want to taut their big numbers. I know high power autos are underrated for insurance reasons but I did not expect marine engines to be the same.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper

how to positively ID an HO:
"High Output" on the helm gauges
"High Output" on the airboxes
"1052cc" on engine head cover stickers
on the non-HO, there is a blocky "water tempering" fixture under the exhaust manifold at the aft-end of the engine. on the HO, the 2 water hoses here plug directly into the case.
Add to that the plaques under the engines.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@buckbuck Please define SBT, it is escaping me.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@buckbuck Please define SBT, it is escaping me.
http://www.shopsbt.com/jet-skis/Yamaha-engine.html

Sells rebuilt engines. Some people are happy with SBT's rebuilds. More have negativity towards their work. A lot of the negativity is likely from situations where a new engine was purchased but whatever contributed to the destruction of the factory engine was not corrected so the SBT engine failed. This was common with the oil system on the two strokes.

I do not have any personal experience with SBT. I have asked them to participate in the forum but have never received a response.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @Bruce I googled SBT and came up with Short Block Technologies.

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
http://www.shopsbt.com/jet-skis/Yamaha-engine.html

Sells rebuilt engines. Some people are happy with SBT's rebuilds. More have negativity towards their work. A lot of the negativity is likely from situations where a new engine was purchased but whatever contributed to the destruction of the factory engine was not corrected so the SBT engine failed. This was common with the oil system on the two strokes.

I do not have any personal experience with SBT. I have asked them to participate in the forum but have never received a response.
So there is a chance from that sticker the engine may have been rebuilt?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So there is a chance from that sticker the engine may have been rebuilt?
There is a chance but SBT makes lots of different parts. SBT is based in Florida as was this boat. It is possible that SBT serviced the boat or a previous owner liked SBT.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is anyone concerned about the SBT sticker on the back and what it potentially represents?
That was the first thing I noticed. Not necessarily ominous, but warrants some questions/explanations.

--

plasticpig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
It looks to me like HO engines as I was under the impression that No Wake mode was only available with HO, you can see the No Wake switches in one of the photos.

Also, SBT are a distributor for BlackTip mats, on the other side of the stern there is a BlackTip logo so it could well be that they supplied or even installed the traction mats.

First post on this forum so go easy on me if I am wrong :)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@plasticpig, welcome aboard and good spotting on the BlackTip mats.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@plasticpig Ditto what @Bruce said. Welcome and good spotting on the BlackTip :thumbsup:
I was under the impression that No Wake mode was only available with HO, you can see the No Wake switches in one of the photos.
No Wake mode is something Yamaha added to the 4-stroke engines. 2-strokes didn't have it. But that's different from HO and non-HO. In the first few years of the migration from 2-stroke to 4-stoke (around 2004-2006) there were HO and non-HO 4-strokes. All the 4-strokes have no-wake mode. Now, all the 4-strokes (all the current boats) are "HO", so they dropped the HO labeling and started offering SHO and SVHO. :rolleyes:

Austin Ramsey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to check it out tomorrow so I will keep you all posted! Hopefully it all works out

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I own a 2006 SX230. Things I noticed on the pics of the boat you're looking at are: SBT sticker, as mentioned, no graphics on the boat which may indicate it was repaired, repainted or the previous owner just removed them. The reverse bucket opening doesn't appear equal between port and starboard. I also noticed the upholstery has been redone. This could have been due to sun damage, neglect or accident. I would look closely at this to make sure it is as stated. Make sure it wasn't a project boat or one that was totaled and rebuilt. I'm wondering if this was a dressed up SR 230.