• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2009 232 Limited S Buying Advice!!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A nice awesome 2009 can get listed for as high as 27k and even higher, but I bought mine 3 years ago for 16,5 in the condition slightly worse to the one you are looking at. These boats are worth about 3k at season start. By October folks are looking to pay for winter storage, so that affects price too.

If the trailer needs work too, and the boat is mechanically sound with some known easy to fix items I would look to buy at 18k or less.

That's just one guys opinion....

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We need close up pictures of the jet pumps including the impellers shot from under the boat. These will tell us if the boat has actually seen salt water. The galvanized trailer leads me to think this was sold in an area where one could boat in salt water. It does not mean the owner was not telling the truth.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The scupper (deck) drain appears to be original factory plastic. You will need to think about getting that changed. This seller cannot expect top dollar when he does not keep it clean and covered. It takes 5 mins. to cover/uncover this boat, if he even has a mooring cover. The seat backs are pretty sunburned and the previous quote for reupholstering is accurate. We paid $23k with galv. trailer for ours as a 10YO boat, but our boat was clean and had good Upholstery. I would start lower but not "insult" low. Expect to see 10k+ rpm's and 46-48mph at full throttle on the water test with a few people on board. Good luck.

Last edited:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If left uncovered, the water stains could be from just one season or even a couple of months. Given there are sticks on the swim platform, stickers are peeling, seats are worn, and he sent pics of it in this condition, I bet it’s been uncovered for at least one season and he probably doesn’t even have a good cover. A cover is about $600.

I am obviously speculating on all of this but this is what I see from the pictures. I agree on posting your location as mentioned above. A helpful person on the forum may be nearby and be willing to assist.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all times a million!

After a lot or research and listening to you guys, we aren't going to see it with high hopes. I mean that in a very good way. I was getting too excited and my excitement might have blinded me to some obvious flaws.

I agree that the scupper drain will need to be replaced asap. The owner told me that only the two seats in the picture show wear. His definition of wear might be very different from ours.

He did tell me he brought it from Gulfport, MS which is almost impossible not to have it in salt or at least brackish water. He also told me he did oil changes himself every start of the season which i believe but i do not think he has don't anything else to it. I am more worried that a lot of items on the boat might be reaching their life span and will need to be replaced at my dime after purchase.

The boat is located about 15-20 from Slidell, LA. If anyone is near and willing to check it out with us that would be great!

Thanks again!

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wouldn’t be afraid of this boat for the right price. All of the items @captainhook and @Julian mention you would do to the boat anyway. Is he asking a reasonable price?
The owner is asking $23,5. Thoughts?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did some digging near my area and there aren't many for sale. It's about how much it is worth to you. Go check it out and be ready to point to expenses you plan on making to put the boat to your standard (How do Trailer brakes look? how are the steering and reverse cables? (tough to steer or tough to change from neutral to forward or reverse) How's the upholstery (we know that answer) Clean Out plugs go in and out easily? Rust anywhere? See how much you like the boat, but try not to grin too obviously at high speed...I know it's hard to do :) It's about your time and money. You may spend another month or 3 looking and save a couple of grand on a different boat, or find a nicer one for the same price...only you can take that gamble. I was very lucky, looked for about 3 months, and also traveled 600 miles to find the boat I wanted...so it may be worth it to you to save that aggravation.

Check it out and see where he is willing to go.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did some digging near my area and there aren't many for sale. It's about how much it is worth to you. Go check it out and be ready to point to expenses you plan on making to put the boat to your standard (How do Trailer brakes look? how are the steering and reverse cables? (tough to steer or tough to change from neutral to forward or reverse) How's the upholstery (we know that answer) Clean Out plugs go in and out easily? Rust anywhere? See how much you like the boat, but try not to grin too obviously at high speed...I know it's hard to do :) It's about your time and money. You may spend another month or 3 looking and save a couple of grand on a different boat, or find a nicer one for the same price...only you can take that gamble. I was very lucky, looked for about 3 months, and also traveled 600 miles to find the boat I wanted...so it may be worth it to you to save that aggravation.

Check it out and see where he is willing to go.
Great info! Thank you! We will for sure go look at it as planned tomorrow but with a lot more knowledge now.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
17-19k

See if you can deal him to somewhere in the high teens. I see similar threads for the 232 limited at around 20k
The wife and I were thinking around 18k so sounds like we on the same page. We agree..high teens is the most of course if sea trial is all good.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The wife and I were thinking around 18k so sounds like we on the same page. We agree..high teens is the most of course if sea trial is all good.
Good luck! Do keep us posted.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update:
Originally the wife and i were suppose to go see and sea trial the boat today. (the owner offered to take us out today) He was also suppose to send us videos of it running and of the engine bay yesterday (Saturday). Last night i didn't get a text/call or anything. So we decided to text him about 8:30pm to see if we were still on for Sunday and if he was able to get any videos. He texted back and said he got called into work and never got on the water. He also said in the same text that maybe some time this week can take it out on the water. I understand work and stuff comes up, but a simple text or call to let us know that would have gone a long way with me. He also asked on the same text how am i with the price. I texted him back a decently long text stating its really hard to negotiate over the phone and of course without seeing or putting the boat in the water. So i went down a list of items that i had concerns over, mostly the stuff you guys told me about and to hopefully let him know im not just throwing an offer at him out of the air.(i was very respectful and said that i am just going off pictures. Things could be a lot better in person or a lot worse) He then said its not a 2019 boat and he doesn't want to take everyone out on the water! That really caught me off guard as he was the one that offered it and who buys a boat without putting it in the water? He seemed like a totally different person then when i talked to him on the phone 2 days ago. really strange. He said its a solid boat and he has a few other people interested lol.

Maybe i put too much value into the person when i buy large items like this? Maybe some people are just not people person. I just think you can get a really good idea about the item based off the person? Maybe not or im just crazy!

He finally said, "you guys can come look and make an offer, based off that we can take it for a test run".

its about a 2 hour round trip for us to go see it. At this point i don't know if we even want to bother. what do you guys/gals think?

Thanks again and sorry for the long message.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully your heart wasn't set on it.... my response would be, let me know if the other people dont buy it, MAYBE I'll still be in the market. Now that being said.... I am sure some people shop for boats the same way they shop for cars... looking going through all the steps even water test with no intention to buy. However, if u r selling then that's. Price you pay!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update:
...and who buys a boat without putting it in the water?
We did. We did not water test the boat, but we did run the engines on the hose where I learned the proper sequence of engine on, water on, run it, water off, engine off. We were lucky buyers and certainly gambled on her true condition. Our seller kept the boat clean and covered when it was for sale. The YDS showed less than 100hrs. It all worked out for us as she has been a great boat with the only issue at purchase was the factory stereo reciever had failed. I used to be all about "Low Maintenance", and the Yamaha certainly has been. And then we went and messed that all up by buying/refitting a 28YO sailboat. ;)

It is difficult to do business with people who change the plans at the last minute. Hard to tell where he is comming from. He could be having second thoughts or receiving other inquiries from tire kickers who just want to go for a ride. His approach to the price negociation is "Bass Aackwards". Never talk money over bad pictures. If he expects the asking price, he should at the very least clean the boat and cover it. Waxing is probably too much to ask for. Good luck moving forward.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update:
Originally the wife and i were suppose to go see and sea trial the boat today. (the owner offered to take us out today) He was also suppose to send us videos of it running and of the engine bay yesterday (Saturday). Last night i didn't get a text/call or anything. So we decided to text him about 8:30pm to see if we were still on for Sunday and if he was able to get any videos. He texted back and said he got called into work and never got on the water. He also said in the same text that maybe some time this week can take it out on the water. I understand work and stuff comes up, but a simple text or call to let us know that would have gone a long way with me. He also asked on the same text how am i with the price. I texted him back a decently long text stating its really hard to negotiate over the phone and of course without seeing or putting the boat in the water. So i went down a list of items that i had concerns over, mostly the stuff you guys told me about and to hopefully let him know im not just throwing an offer at him out of the air.(i was very respectful and said that i am just going off pictures. Things could be a lot better in person or a lot worse) He then said its not a 2019 boat and he doesn't want to take everyone out on the water! That really caught me off guard as he was the one that offered it and who buys a boat without putting it in the water? He seemed like a totally different person then when i talked to him on the phone 2 days ago. really strange. He said its a solid boat and he has a few other people interested lol.

Maybe i put too much value into the person when i buy large items like this? Maybe some people are just not people person. I just think you can get a really good idea about the item based off the person? Maybe not or im just crazy!

He finally said, "you guys can come look and make an offer, based off that we can take it for a test run".

its about a 2 hour round trip for us to go see it. At this point i don't know if we even want to bother. what do you guys/gals think?

Thanks again and sorry for the long message.
I can empathize with the seller, having gone thru the runaround selling my car a few years ago on Craigslist. However, given the travel time you could consider offering him your number and based that you can arrange for a test ride before you wrap up the deal.

I bought my boat sight unseen except for pictures from @OCMD on this site and made a phone offer. The following week I drove from Columbus to Ocean City and took a sea trial then after being shown the ropes on how to flush, etc, I drove it back to Ohio. Key difference was Eric at bayside jetdrive is a dealer.

You could say based on the photos and interior wear on the seats you are offering x and see how he responds.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks again for all of advice and suggestions! I guess great minds think alike. That's exactly what we did! I texted him and said we are in the high teens but would like to come see it to assess the value. He sent a text back of it hooked up to his truck in the driveway that he said he's cleaning it lol nothing else. I texted him back it looks good and we would like to come see it but nothing texted back as of yet lol.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I hate to say it but it may be best to move on from this one unless you want to deal with a lot of hassle. I too can understand he doesn’t want his time wasted but it always baffles me how somebody can post something for sale and not even bother to wash it, let alone make sure it works. Then on top of that he gives you a whole song and dance about the maintenance he’s done on it.

It reminds me of all these ads for PWCs and ATVs I see that say, “Works great! Just needs a new battery!” A cheap battery is like $50, why wouldn’t you just put one in to prove it? Answer: they’re usually full of it.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hate to say it but it may be best to move on from this one unless you want to deal with a lot of hassle. I too can understand he doesn’t want his time wasted but it always baffles me how somebody can post something for sale and not even bother to wash it, let alone make sure it works. Then on top of that he gives you a whole song and dance about the maintenance he’s done on it.

It reminds me of all these ads for PWCs and ATVs I see that say, “Works great! Just needs a new battery!” A cheap battery is like $50, why wouldn’t you just put one in to prove it? Answer: they’re usually full of it.
You are so right on so many levels. We are starting to think the same thing. I texted him a few hours ago about coming to see it and we have cash in hand but i haven't anything from him. Really strange. Oh well, i guess the search continues!