• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 242 Limited S First Impressions w/ Pics and Video

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have never seen this much buzz. I have been around from the 2006 to 2007 transition and the 2009 to 2010 transition and I don't believe that it has ever been this big. The reason is we can all see that Yamaha is listening. All of the things we ask for are being incorporated. Also, we can see that Yamaha is responding to the competition. I thought of getting an MB before the 2015 launch. I believe (my personal attention) that the new players in the jetboat market did not expect Yamaha to step up their game this much. I am excited and can't wait to see our waterways loaded with Yamahas.
Agreed. I bought mine in August 2009, a week or two before the 2010 lineup was announced. I watched that closely with an obvious direct interest. There was hype and interest, of course, but this year's announcement, changes/upgrades, and excitement all seem substantially bigger. 100% agreed on the "Yamaha is listening" part, also.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You're comparing a 22' boat with an MSRP above 80k without a trailer (I'm assuming) to a 24' boat with a 60k MSRP and that includes a trailer. I'd love to see the stickers beneath the gelcoat but you'll never see it at this price point. I'll take the larger boat with a much lower price point and deal with the stickers!
Not to belabor the point, but regardless of the MSRP, the T22 can be actually purchased for around $60K on a very nice trailer. Also, the 22' length is not directly comparable to the 24 foot Yamaha because on the Axis the swim platform is not included in that length. It's about 2 feet deep, so the boat actually ends up being 24 feet in length once the swim platform is considered. These are different boats for different purposes, but the point I was trying to make is that it isn't unreasonable to expect clear coat graphics in a boat you can buy at the $60K price point. That said, this is just a nit and I do think the 242 is a beautiful and awesome boat!

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Finally got around to editing the steering video. It was hard to shoot anything of value by myself but it'll give you some idea of handling.

Nucem140

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well that answers that question. I would like to know how slow these boats will go under minimal power. I want to do some trolling from the back swim/fishing platform. 2 mph is just about ideal.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the video. Looks like a considerable improvement in the tracking ability of the boat.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for all the great info! I love the grey! Not sure I like the idea of the steering changes for the shallow water or the larger turning radius, but the other improvements are awesome!

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No wake speed handling looks the same as I/Os I've driven
It is at least the same if not better. I'm really looking forward to everyone getting their hands on these boats!!!

As always, there's a standing invitation for anyone to drive one with me in Oregon ;)

TxChristopher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Turn radius didn't look unreasonable at all considering the speed. Yes the older boats can slide the ass out and dig in for ultimately a tighter turn but that turn looked uber smooth and controlled with far less lean and speed loss. It looked VERY efficient! Also looked like it handled the chop of the wake better too.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is at least the same if not better. I'm really looking forward to everyone getting their hands on these boats!!!

As always, there's a standing invitation for anyone to drive one with me in Oregon ;)

Be up in 2 weeks....LOL

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice write up!
It really looks like the addressed common concerns of the end users...
Quiet is good...
Achor and Ladder Hatch good!
Steering Good!!
Smarter Tower!
Hinged Seat Nice

?? We do Dealers in stall Batteries right in the middle of Storage Areas? (Port Bench) ....only for us to relocate them??
Is this a requirement,,,,,?

Boat looks great!

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice write up!

?? We do Dealers in stall Batteries right in the middle of Storage Areas? (Port Bench) ....only for us to relocate them??
Is this a requirement,,,,,?

Boat looks great!
That is where the battery trays are installed directly from Yamaha.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is where the battery trays are installed directly from Yamaha.
That makes since , only a non boater would place them there....

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I finally noticed something I don't like about the 242 limited S. It does not have a mirror for watersports. I am not sure what a good solution would be.