• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Limited S $2000 prep fee??

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks all for the warm welcome and helpful information. I cant seem to provide a location in my profile as there is no field for this. I see it in everyone's profile but mine lacks that field. New member maybe?
Anyway, I am in Cincinnati, Ohio. Their initial offer might make you cringe.
The boat is priced at the MSRP on Yamaha's website, paying MSRP isn't uncommon. I assume you are talking about Lodders? From what I have heard Lodders is pretty firm on their prices. Talking to their salesman at the boat show this winter they made it sound like they can't keep enough Yamaha's in stock which is probably allowing them to charge the $2,000 prep fee. I would be interested to hear what the $500 "boating package" consists of.

Like many others have said, look around and see what else is out there. Stokley's Marine in Nicholasville, KY and Just Add Water Boats in Indianapolis, IN come to mind. Also, don't rule out buying used. There are some really good used Yamaha's at a great price out there (and you let someone else take the initial depreciation hit).

And finally, we keep our boat on the Ohio River in Dayton, KY. Since this will be your 1st boat let me know if you need any tips for river boating, or if you would like to go for a ride with us to get familiar with a jetboat and the river, we would love to have you and your family join us. @wakeformer lives in the Cincy area and has been very helpful teaching me how to change oil, spark plugs etc. so we don't have to pay Lodders' crazy maintenance prices, I'm sure we could help you with maintenance items as well.

Welcome to the board and let us know what you come up with!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, No, No you must be confused....the $2000 "Prep" fee was the cost of the "Preparation H" he went through after the last guy shoved the boat up his Wazoo when he told him he was going to charge him a fee...

Times sure have changed....my dealer drove his personal truck to Las Vegas to get my boat...delivered it to my boat storage yard. The deal included the cover, ALL options - filler cushions (front and rear) bimini, bimini extension, bow cover, mooring cover w/poles, TWO tables (3 poles), and a tank of gas! :cool:

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also live in Cincinnati and have been watching Lodders inventory pretty closely since the first of the year. For not being able to keep them in stock they haven't sold many. And their price on the leftover 242 S is laughable compared to what other dealers are selling for. When I pull the trigger I will give them right of first refusal for the convenience to me for location, but fully expect to be driving to another dealer to make the purchase.

Also, do other dealers allow test drives if you haven't essentially bought the boat? Lodders won't (and I understand why and have no issue with it), and I would love to drive a '14 and '15 for comparison purposes.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also live in Cincinnati and have been watching Lodders inventory pretty closely since the first of the year. For not being able to keep them in stock they haven't sold many. And their price on the leftover 242 S is laughable compared to what other dealers are selling for. When I pull the trigger I will give them right of first refusal for the convenience to me for location, but fully expect to be driving to another dealer to make the purchase.

Also, do other dealers allow test drives if you haven't essentially bought the boat? Lodders won't (and I understand why and have no issue with it), and I would love to drive a '14 and '15 for comparison purposes.
Some dealers do via direct test drive or demo days.

Kevin Howland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

JustAddWater boats in Indy has both 2014 and 2015 LS models in stock. They have a test lake as well so this might be an option. I noticed that as well for a dealer (Lodders) who kept telling me how they cant keep them in stock and that Yamaha only accepts one order per year for each dealer, they had no less than 12 Yamahas on their lot. Maybe their full of shit. Anyway I counter offered from the original offer of "u want boat u pay what we want for boat" and I kid you not their response was and I quote " If you can get a better deal elsewhere, then I suggest you do just that." I responded that I hoped we could at least negotiate and they ignored that email. I wont so much as purchase a spark plug from the assholes, ever.

JustAddWater is working with me and seem open to negotiation. Good luck dnicholas47 with them if you attempt to purchase. Indy is 120miles away, but I would walk there and drag the boat back with my teeth before I entertain a purchase from Lodders.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the input @Kevin Howland. According to Yamaha there are 15 dealers within 250 miles of here. If the closest dealer wants to invite the competition, I'm sure one of those other dealers will welcome the business. Good luck with the purchase and like I said please keep me updated as to how you like Just Add Water.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Kevin Howland
I'm not sure what new features are there in 2015 model but one thing you may want to consider is buying new 2014 242 Limited S. In my area I see these are marked down to $46k new. They have been at this price for a while.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bod/5048552798.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/bod/5020165563.html

Lodders dealer sounds like one of the Lexus car dealer here in town. They told me car I want is in high demand and they won't come too far from MSRP. But when I told them I had an offer from CA dealer for $500 over invoice they changed their tune and matched it.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You're already ahead of the game by trying to educate yourself. They are looking for the low hanging fruit, those that are uneducated and just pay it because they don't know better.

Move on if they won't be reasonable. There is a price to pay for a relationship with a local dealer that may help you out with any problems but what they are charging, Is NOT it. I always get the best price for any vehicle within the distance I'm willing to go....usually 500 miles. I they won't match it within reason (price+travel costs+ ~500 "relationship fee) then screw them. And I tell them those details. Free market baby!!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Big Shasta says it best.
MOST buyers "pay it" (the high fees) because they are either too ignorant, or too "afraid" to use our Free Enterprise system as it is supposed to work,
You do NOT "need" a Yamaha dealer in your back yard.
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
PS - My dealer (2 boats so far) is in a DIFFERENT STATE ... and
186 miles away.
Because two closer dealers were unreasonable.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just emailed back a purchase order and credit app to my local dealer for a 2015 AR240. He put down the MRSP + tax and title. There was no prep fee and we haven't even begun to negotiate since this is just basic paperwork to send in to Yamaha financing. So it's good to see the dealer I'm working with doesn't throw in these BS prep fees.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@haknslash: Who are you dealing with in Alabama ?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Smart boy. You picked THE correct dealer.
They do not make them any better.

Please tell Randy Mikey said HI. You won't need my last name.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Smart boy. You picked THE correct dealer.
They do not make them any better.

Please tell Randy Mikey said HI. You won't need my last name.
Will do! I'm hoping to hear back from him tomorrow. Hopefully with good news! I checked on their Google reviews and seems they are good folks to deal with. Did you buy your boat from them?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Will do! I'm hoping to hear back from him tomorrow. Hopefully with good news! I checked on their Google reviews and seems they are good folks to deal with. Did you buy your boat from them?
??? Nooooooooooo ........... Why would I do that ?????????
LOL .......... Barbie and I purchased TWO (2) boats from him & Kathy.
We enjoy buying boats every 15 months .... LOL ....... This IS a joke. Even if we have done this a few times.
All I can say is get set for the "ride of your life" ... You won't believe how nice you will be treated !
Enjoy !

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
??? Nooooooooooo ........... Why would I do that ?????????
LOL .......... Barbie and I purchased TWO (2) boats from him & Kathy.
We enjoy buying boats every 15 months .... LOL ....... This IS a joke. Even if wee have done this a few times.
All I can say is get set for the "ride of your life" ... You won't believe how nice you will be treated !
Enjoy !
Sounds like a great dealer!

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hold out till the winter and hit the boat shows, you will save a ton

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hold out till the winter and hit the boat shows, you will save a ton
Do you have any idea or remember what interest rates generally are around that time? I can hold out until winter but I just don't want to miss an opportunity to get 0 down at 2.99% and the YES warranty. Does Yamaha do this promo in the winter as well?

McTafur

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Speaking from experience I will say that the premium you pay for the relationship at Lodders, it is not worth it. Thanks to this resource we all have access to, I'm not in need of their sub-par service. (Lodders)

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know the winter boat shows this year were offering 2.99 on the 24' boats and also including the 5 year extended warranty. That's when I ordered mine.