• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 AR240 budget stereo upgrade

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with the sentiments above. The db is a good speaker for the money and if you are investing money it should be on the amps and wiring first. Proper power and tuning can really make the dbs sing. Again I am repeating what others have said above but speaker location is super important as sound dissipates quickly in an open air environment.

Something I am a stickler on that some don't bother with is ensuring the mounting location is as free from deflection as possible. When a spekaer oscillates it will cause deflection in the mounting surface and on anything directly in front of or behind the speaker. Adding thick backing rings reduces this oscillation and allows the speaker to play cleaner and more efficiently.

So proper placement, installation, tuning, and power can make a big difference in the same speakers.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the input so far everyone.....

@d_coyne1984 I'm strongly leaning towards the Polks based on reviews and price, but just to be unbiased was also looking at the Bluave Audio 7", and JL Audio M650 CCX's, both just shy of $400 I believe.

So the question is do I get the Polk 651s at the lower price point and reallocate that money to some towers, or go all in on some better inboats and add the towers later?

I'll also be adding 1 ported 10" sub.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will chime in on the sub as I did it wrong and learned a lot in the process. A true free air sub will be the easiest to get right. A sealed sub will sound the best. A ported sub can use a smaller box than a sealed sub but you lose some felt bass. A 4th order bandpass is a waste of space in a boat.

I happend upon the 10inch Polk MM which only needs 0.6 cuft of sealed space and rather shallow mounting depth! IMO this sub mounted through the cabin seat wall with a sealed box behind it will give you best balance of heard and felt bass for the money. I will be doing this as soon as the weather cooperates.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the input @Mainah, in my previous boat (2011 242 Limited S) I was running 1 ported 15' and that sucker banged, I like the idea of more bass, but don't want to take up the entire head compartment which is where I have it installed now and have to open the door slightly to get the full sound.

I saw a boat specific subwoofer box from waves and wheels that holds a ported 10', but since I'm coming from a 15" to a 10" I figured I might need two, so I'm actually now thinking of just building my own box for a 12 thats waterproof (enough) so I can still get a solid sub without the restrictions of premade, or constraint of free-air.

Although Ive read and been told that ported on a boat is a great option, especially if its tuned properly, I feel I might loose some of that deep bass with a sealed box, but you mentioned it being the opposite??

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In general ported enclosures are louder as they allow more intrusion of the woofer with the port allowing air to escape. Sealed on the other hand is more accurate and deeper sounding while not being quite as loud as the air inside the box is compressed. A ported box will also be more efficient on the amp side of the equation. Ported boxes are far more sensitive to being the proper size with the proper port opening, location, and depth.

I do have a strong personal preference for the way sealed designs sound.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I should have 4 DB651s for sale out of my 2015 with 1 year of use of them, next week? Thats if weather is decent this weekend to get the boat out of the water and back to my house. Why not all 6 you ask? 2 are going into my golf cart.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have experimented with subs in the past with various results. I'm trying something a little bit different with the BassLink by Infinity. It is a powered 10" sub.
I was quite surprised how big it is - when I opened the package - and heavy, weighing about 20 lbs:
upload_2017-4-4_16-42-38.pngupload_2017-4-4_16-43-0.png

I mounted it inside the helm compartment up against the front fiberglass wall. I installed a layer of RAAMat (similar to Dynamat Extreme) to cover raw fiberglass, and used neoprene pads w/ large fender washers and 1/4" SS bolts for the install. It was a bit of a PIA to install due to this thing being quite heavy, but it's just drilling small holes for the bolts. I ran large 4 gauge KnuKonceptz wires across the fuel compartment into the helm following steering cables, will still need to loom those all up later to finish.
upload_2017-4-4_21-0-15.pngupload_2017-4-4_21-1-50.png
upload_2017-4-4_21-2-13.pngupload_2017-4-4_21-2-49.png

I have not tested this setup, yet, but I do have high hopes. Those BassLink subs are said to hit hard. One issue is they can blow a cheapo 1000uf 80v capacitor - but replacing the blown one with a $5 part supposedly is a fix.

The location could be great - I have long noticed this entire compartment carries a lot of resonance all the way back from the engine - along the hull/double coaming.
This sub could help fill the space with some good vibes, lol. We will see!

--

Last edited:

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that's thinking outside of the box, literally!!!

Interested to know how it sounds....

A man can go crazy researching all the different brands, and configurations. Smart idea

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally connected the sub (mounted in the helm compartment, as above). The initial results are highly encouraging!

Basically, when up, the sub turns this entire large compartment into a huge resonator box - and just shakes it and sends vibes all along the coaming on that side of the boat amplifying the rumble - I love it! I still have to "tune" the system and install the bass knob (which I think is mostly a gain regulator - it will come in handy in preventing kidney damage to anyone sitting up in front of it, lol).

I couldn't play it too loud last night but at least at low volumes I did NOT see a lot of difference in sound/shakes with the helm door open or closed. Which would be very good news (for what I want this setup to do). Of course we are not talking a high fidelity opera-lover home system here but an easy way to add a lot of bass in an open bow boat.

I'll update this post. I have a feeling this could be one of the best "bang for the buck" subwoofer schemes in the 240s (at about $200 and no large holes to be cut). I think @COtoFLsurf and @Glassman run a similar setup, I think the "suspended" mount that I used may be even adding some extra amplification the rumble, lol.

--

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow @swatski , "it's all about de bass!"
Loving it, your boat must be pretty tricked out by now, anything left to do? I'm getting a little mod envy now :p.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow @swatski , "it's all about de bass!"
Loving it, your boat must be pretty tricked out by now, anything left to do? I'm getting a little mod envy now :p.
I can't wait to be done! Still some stereo and electric to finish, couple more tweaks to the Ridesteady cruise control and that should be it, for the "mundane" stuff.
The BIG one - the ballast system (Wakemakers custom) - is kicking my a$$... Boy, that is not trivial.

If it all works out - I will not need another boat for a long time!!! :D

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can't hardly argue with that logic! I'm on my 5th one in 4 years not counting skis.

I think this one is a keeper though. :laugh:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some more testing of the Basslink - that thing hit like a mofo. No kidding. Also has a ton of mid-bass, probably more than any sub I have played with, but I ended up filtering some of it out. Really the only question is about the reliability, but other than that - this is a GREAT way to go.

It also helps that I installed 6 additional Polk DB651s - four extra in the cockpit and two on the swim platform (for the total of 10). The system sounds just ridiculously good - considering the price of the components.

I spent months debating where to place the extra DBs, finally decided on this - here are the locations of the extras (I did not take the pics of the final install, but will update the pics)

Mid-ship strdb side

Port:

And swim deck:

EDIT: When I say "I figured it out" I mean I read this forum. :D
--

Last edited:

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are ways to upgrade your stereo system that might be easier... such as taking it to your dealer or stereo shop and letting them have at it - maybe even a slampak... But if you're like me - you don't mind getting your hands dirty and saving a buck is nice too.

I went about this stereo upgrade in 3 steps basically - but since I ordered all the gear at the same time I was committed to going all the way. You don't have to go all the way, or you could take these steps as your budget permits. Each step brings new life to the stereo and are all quite worth while. Of course there is no limit to what you can do, and I'm no stereo freak so my goals were somewhat limited to upgrading the existing system.

First step was to swap out the original 6.5" coax speakers. I liked the look of the polk audio speakers and they got a great review online so I got the MM651UM speakers. From amazon you're about $300 for 2 pair. They're an interesting design as they're situated like a coaxial speaker but they're not a traditional coaxial. The tweeters are mounted in the grille separated from the main cone.

Take your time drilling the holes for these speakers as the grilles are timed by the mounting holes. The rears are mounted in fiberglass and so long as you're careful not to strip the holes, and don't drill the holes too large you should be fine screwing into the fiberglass... but up front the speakers are mounted into thin plastic, I used the clip on nuts that came with the speakers. You'll have to enlarge the original opening a little to use those clip on nuts. I used a dremel tool and it was quick and easy to just cut out a little material at each nut. On deck power alone these speakers are a nice upgrade from the stockers. They make more bass for sure, and fill in the midrange and highs nicely. They may be a little on the bright side, but that's ok depending on where you're seated. You could stop here (but I wouldn't).

View attachment 30023 View attachment 30024

The next step was to install the amplifier. I didn't put a ton of thought into this - I knew I wanted something marine rated to stand up to the wet environment and stuck to the polk audio theme. I got the Polk Audio PA D5000.5 (about $300 on amazon). It has a basic equalizer or filters built in, and a remote subwoofer level dial. I turned on the HPF for both fronts and rears since the 6.5" speakers don't claim frequency response below 45hz anyhow (and I was installing a sub as well). 20 feet of power cable was nearly perfect to run from the battery compartment, across the engine bay and up the starboard side of the boat. I secured the power cable with zip ties and made sure that previously installed zip ties were in no position to abrade or cut into the power cable insulation, also make sure the engine hatch latch won't reach your wiring. If you're more concerned you could wrap the power cable in split loom. I like to prevent chafing from occurring in the first place - if it can't move it shouldn't chafe. For the power cable I bought 2 amplifier installation kits. This worked out to be less than buying 4 gauge wire from west marine at $3.00 / foot, and the install kits included fuses and ring terminals. PLANET AUDIO 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit (4GPK) $30 each at Frys These kits have 20 feet of 4 gauge in red, and 3 feet in grey, you can use that to connect to fuses or a circuit breaker. I used a 100 amp waterproof circuit breaker in the battery compartment from west marine. 285 Series, Thermal Circuit Breaker, 100A I shrink wrapped the ends of the red cable in black to designate the ground wire.
View attachment 30103 View attachment 30027 View attachment 30028 View attachment 30030View attachment 30033

From tap plastics I had a piece of 1/2" thick white starboard material cut to 27" x 13". This size allowed me to tie into both sides and the bottom of the helm electronics box. I mounted (5) 10-24 studs to the fiberglass and drilled slightly larger holes in the starboard panel to it could easily slip on and off the studs for easy install and removal. It's held in place with nylocs and washers. It's hella stout, and can be removed in a few seconds. I put in an access port to the diagnostics plugs and holes for the cabling for a neat and simple install. All the holes though the mounting panel are chamfered as to not to cut into the wiring. Again you can split loom this if you like. To make wiring the speakers simple I used a Metra 70-7303 wiring harness. About $6 from amazon. I used a bandsaw to cut the unused half off the speaker wire plug and it's just what the doctor ordered to connect to the boat's speaker wiring harness. The blue wire coming out of the Polk head unit (as is mentioned in the polk's manual) is the amplifier trigger lead so extend and connect this to the amp and everything will still power off when you turn off the main battery switch even though the amp's circuit breaker is tied directly to the house battery. If you close off the bottom of the helm's electronics/cabling opening like I did - you will want to re-route the cup holder's drain through the steering cable opening. Secure this hose the best you can - you don't want water dribbling directly into your electronics. (I'll revisit all the cup holders someday so they don't dribble into the boat at all.) Before attaching wires to the amp in the screw down terminals I soldered all the wire ends with some non-acid flux and solder. If you screw down directly on high strand wire you'll end up cutting off a bunch of strands - that's messy.

View attachment 30034 View attachment 30035 View attachment 30036 View attachment 30037 View attachment 30038

Now that the amp is installed the speakers really (really) come to life. The bass is much stronger and the speakers can finally really sing they way they were intended. This is a really big step in sonic performanice. If you were lazy you could quit here, but if you want it to really sound great you'll move on to installing the sub of course.

Keeping in theme I got the Polk Audio AA3106-A MM1040UM 10-Inch
subwoofer. This was about $180 on Amazon with the grille. I'm not a professional stereo installer and cutting that big hole for the sub really gnawed at me for a few days. I considered hiring a pro to do it but if I had to haul the boat in that would be a hassle so I continued on my own. Originally I wanted to put the sub under the helm area cup holders in the gunwale. There are some 10" subs that are a lower profile that would fit in there but this one wouldn't. Or at least I wasn't brave enough to try, and I didn't want to mount it out from the wall. I believe it's 4-5/8" deep with top mounting and it looked like I had almost exactly that in the wall. I chose to put it just forward of the yamaha supplied cooler instead. It sounds good there and there aren't any unwanted vibrations in that area even with the cooler in place. I used some clear vinyl graphics transfer tape 16" wide to cover the installation area. (most people just use blue painters tape). The polk subwoofer's grille will look funny if it's not mounted nice and level so that was important to me. I set the bench level with the trailer tongue jack, then I could use the level to set the speaker level. I had tap plastics cut me a speaker ring from black starboard 3/4" thick. It's about 1" wide. Starboard works like wood, drills eassily, cuts easily and won't rot of course. I centered the ring on the speaker and used a centering punch to mark all the mounting holes then drilled them on a drill press. I predrilled them 1/8" for my screws. To get the ring level, I used a centering punch to mark the top hole location on the boat and screwed the ring to the boat from the top hole. I partially screwed 2 screws into the 3 and 9 o'clock positions of the ring to check level again. Then I used the centering punch to mark the bottom hole location and drilled it - and secured it with another screw. I then continued all around the ring with the centering punch and marked then drilled all the necessary mounting holes.

View attachment 30039 View attachment 30040 View attachment 30041

It's hard to tell in the photo but all this work is done on that 16" wide clear tape. I then traced the inner circle of the ring onto the boat with a sharpie and had my cut line. Now the moment of truth - time to cut that hole. It turned out to be less dramatic than I had envisioned. I drilled a few pilot holes around the perimeter of the cut out and then got out my jig saw. I put it on a small orbit and speed 5 out of 6 and used a fiberglass cutting blade. I set up my shop vac with some tape to hold the hose in place inside the storage compartment right near the cutting area. This really made the clean up a breeze. I also took out the main cockpit carpet as well. The jig saw cut the hole quite nicely and all that was left was to screw in the speaker with it's starboard backing ring. The weight of this speaker and how violently it's servo action must work to do it's job - I wouldn't install this speaker without a sturdy - thick ring with good stainless sheet metal screws or some thru-bolts with nuts. I used #8 stainless screws with square drive truss heads. They fit perfectly into the subwoofer mounting ring. I also like square drive screws since they don't slip. Last thing you want to do is slip and poke your screw driver through your new speaker. I used 4 of those and 4 of the supplied screws to attach the grille. Be cautious to torque the screws down evenly to compress the gasket behind the speaker mounting ring. Many of you don't like the supplied cooler - but as of yet, I'm making good use of it and as you can see this location doesn't interfere with operation of the cooler. This install took me about 10 hours, and I had to contort into some tight places to secure all the wiring but I'm happy with the install and it sounds really fantastic. The total bill with speakers, amp, wiring, starboard, hardware, etc.. $1015. That was considerably less than the slampak, and nothing about this install was really "difficult" other than getting contorted into the tight spaces. I did remove the door frame to the helm storage area to make it easier to get in and out of there - but the exposed fiberglass edges are sharp - so be careful.

View attachment 30043 View attachment 30042

UPDATE:
After runing the Polk sub for a while, It got on my nerves. It was a little confusing for a while, it would sound killer, then on another song it would sound weird.. Anyhow I got to the bottom of it - it's not really an Infinite Baffle compatible sub like Crutchfield advertised. I could have lived with it but I don't like 1/2 Ass. So I ordered the JL Audio IB sub and got it in. In the meantime I found out that Polk now has a real Infinite Baffle subwoofer. I would have liked to try that as the mounting holes may have been all the same but as it were - the 9 and 3 o'clock screw holes matched up perfectly between the Polk and the JL and this saved a lot of trouble mounting the new speaker. As many have reported - the JL speaker does a killer job.

View attachment 38121
@Majorsmackdown Thanks for the thorough write. Made my decision easy. I'm copying almost identically and then adding a second amp and tower speakers.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are ways to upgrade your stereo system that might be easier... such as taking it to your dealer or stereo shop and letting them have at it - maybe even a slampak... But if you're like me - you don't mind getting your hands dirty and saving a buck is nice too.

I went about this stereo upgrade in 3 steps basically - but since I ordered all the gear at the same time I was committed to going all the way. You don't have to go all the way, or you could take these steps as your budget permits. Each step brings new life to the stereo and are all quite worth while. Of course there is no limit to what you can do, and I'm no stereo freak so my goals were somewhat limited to upgrading the existing system.

First step was to swap out the original 6.5" coax speakers. I liked the look of the polk audio speakers and they got a great review online so I got the MM651UM speakers. From amazon you're about $300 for 2 pair. They're an interesting design as they're situated like a coaxial speaker but they're not a traditional coaxial. The tweeters are mounted in the grille separated from the main cone.

Take your time drilling the holes for these speakers as the grilles are timed by the mounting holes. The rears are mounted in fiberglass and so long as you're careful not to strip the holes, and don't drill the holes too large you should be fine screwing into the fiberglass... but up front the speakers are mounted into thin plastic, I used the clip on nuts that came with the speakers. You'll have to enlarge the original opening a little to use those clip on nuts. I used a dremel tool and it was quick and easy to just cut out a little material at each nut. On deck power alone these speakers are a nice upgrade from the stockers. They make more bass for sure, and fill in the midrange and highs nicely. They may be a little on the bright side, but that's ok depending on where you're seated. You could stop here (but I wouldn't).

View attachment 30023 View attachment 30024

The next step was to install the amplifier. I didn't put a ton of thought into this - I knew I wanted something marine rated to stand up to the wet environment and stuck to the polk audio theme. I got the Polk Audio PA D5000.5 (about $300 on amazon). It has a basic equalizer or filters built in, and a remote subwoofer level dial. I turned on the HPF for both fronts and rears since the 6.5" speakers don't claim frequency response below 45hz anyhow (and I was installing a sub as well). 20 feet of power cable was nearly perfect to run from the battery compartment, across the engine bay and up the starboard side of the boat. I secured the power cable with zip ties and made sure that previously installed zip ties were in no position to abrade or cut into the power cable insulation, also make sure the engine hatch latch won't reach your wiring. If you're more concerned you could wrap the power cable in split loom. I like to prevent chafing from occurring in the first place - if it can't move it shouldn't chafe. For the power cable I bought 2 amplifier installation kits. This worked out to be less than buying 4 gauge wire from west marine at $3.00 / foot, and the install kits included fuses and ring terminals. PLANET AUDIO 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit (4GPK) $30 each at Frys These kits have 20 feet of 4 gauge in red, and 3 feet in grey, you can use that to connect to fuses or a circuit breaker. I used a 100 amp waterproof circuit breaker in the battery compartment from west marine. 285 Series, Thermal Circuit Breaker, 100A I shrink wrapped the ends of the red cable in black to designate the ground wire.
View attachment 30103 View attachment 30027 View attachment 30028 View attachment 30030View attachment 30033

From tap plastics I had a piece of 1/2" thick white starboard material cut to 27" x 13". This size allowed me to tie into both sides and the bottom of the helm electronics box. I mounted (5) 10-24 studs to the fiberglass and drilled slightly larger holes in the starboard panel to it could easily slip on and off the studs for easy install and removal. It's held in place with nylocs and washers. It's hella stout, and can be removed in a few seconds. I put in an access port to the diagnostics plugs and holes for the cabling for a neat and simple install. All the holes though the mounting panel are chamfered as to not to cut into the wiring. Again you can split loom this if you like. To make wiring the speakers simple I used a Metra 70-7303 wiring harness. About $6 from amazon. I used a bandsaw to cut the unused half off the speaker wire plug and it's just what the doctor ordered to connect to the boat's speaker wiring harness. The blue wire coming out of the Polk head unit (as is mentioned in the polk's manual) is the amplifier trigger lead so extend and connect this to the amp and everything will still power off when you turn off the main battery switch even though the amp's circuit breaker is tied directly to the house battery. If you close off the bottom of the helm's electronics/cabling opening like I did - you will want to re-route the cup holder's drain through the steering cable opening. Secure this hose the best you can - you don't want water dribbling directly into your electronics. (I'll revisit all the cup holders someday so they don't dribble into the boat at all.) Before attaching wires to the amp in the screw down terminals I soldered all the wire ends with some non-acid flux and solder. If you screw down directly on high strand wire you'll end up cutting off a bunch of strands - that's messy.

View attachment 30034 View attachment 30035 View attachment 30036 View attachment 30037 View attachment 30038

Now that the amp is installed the speakers really (really) come to life. The bass is much stronger and the speakers can finally really sing they way they were intended. This is a really big step in sonic performanice. If you were lazy you could quit here, but if you want it to really sound great you'll move on to installing the sub of course.

Keeping in theme I got the Polk Audio AA3106-A MM1040UM 10-Inch
subwoofer. This was about $180 on Amazon with the grille. I'm not a professional stereo installer and cutting that big hole for the sub really gnawed at me for a few days. I considered hiring a pro to do it but if I had to haul the boat in that would be a hassle so I continued on my own. Originally I wanted to put the sub under the helm area cup holders in the gunwale. There are some 10" subs that are a lower profile that would fit in there but this one wouldn't. Or at least I wasn't brave enough to try, and I didn't want to mount it out from the wall. I believe it's 4-5/8" deep with top mounting and it looked like I had almost exactly that in the wall. I chose to put it just forward of the yamaha supplied cooler instead. It sounds good there and there aren't any unwanted vibrations in that area even with the cooler in place. I used some clear vinyl graphics transfer tape 16" wide to cover the installation area. (most people just use blue painters tape). The polk subwoofer's grille will look funny if it's not mounted nice and level so that was important to me. I set the bench level with the trailer tongue jack, then I could use the level to set the speaker level. I had tap plastics cut me a speaker ring from black starboard 3/4" thick. It's about 1" wide. Starboard works like wood, drills eassily, cuts easily and won't rot of course. I centered the ring on the speaker and used a centering punch to mark all the mounting holes then drilled them on a drill press. I predrilled them 1/8" for my screws. To get the ring level, I used a centering punch to mark the top hole location on the boat and screwed the ring to the boat from the top hole. I partially screwed 2 screws into the 3 and 9 o'clock positions of the ring to check level again. Then I used the centering punch to mark the bottom hole location and drilled it - and secured it with another screw. I then continued all around the ring with the centering punch and marked then drilled all the necessary mounting holes.

View attachment 30039 View attachment 30040 View attachment 30041

It's hard to tell in the photo but all this work is done on that 16" wide clear tape. I then traced the inner circle of the ring onto the boat with a sharpie and had my cut line. Now the moment of truth - time to cut that hole. It turned out to be less dramatic than I had envisioned. I drilled a few pilot holes around the perimeter of the cut out and then got out my jig saw. I put it on a small orbit and speed 5 out of 6 and used a fiberglass cutting blade. I set up my shop vac with some tape to hold the hose in place inside the storage compartment right near the cutting area. This really made the clean up a breeze. I also took out the main cockpit carpet as well. The jig saw cut the hole quite nicely and all that was left was to screw in the speaker with it's starboard backing ring. The weight of this speaker and how violently it's servo action must work to do it's job - I wouldn't install this speaker without a sturdy - thick ring with good stainless sheet metal screws or some thru-bolts with nuts. I used #8 stainless screws with square drive truss heads. They fit perfectly into the subwoofer mounting ring. I also like square drive screws since they don't slip. Last thing you want to do is slip and poke your screw driver through your new speaker. I used 4 of those and 4 of the supplied screws to attach the grille. Be cautious to torque the screws down evenly to compress the gasket behind the speaker mounting ring. Many of you don't like the supplied cooler - but as of yet, I'm making good use of it and as you can see this location doesn't interfere with operation of the cooler. This install took me about 10 hours, and I had to contort into some tight places to secure all the wiring but I'm happy with the install and it sounds really fantastic. The total bill with speakers, amp, wiring, starboard, hardware, etc.. $1015. That was considerably less than the slampak, and nothing about this install was really "difficult" other than getting contorted into the tight spaces. I did remove the door frame to the helm storage area to make it easier to get in and out of there - but the exposed fiberglass edges are sharp - so be careful.

View attachment 30043 View attachment 30042

UPDATE:
After runing the Polk sub for a while, It got on my nerves. It was a little confusing for a while, it would sound killer, then on another song it would sound weird.. Anyhow I got to the bottom of it - it's not really an Infinite Baffle compatible sub like Crutchfield advertised. I could have lived with it but I don't like 1/2 Ass. So I ordered the JL Audio IB sub and got it in. In the meantime I found out that Polk now has a real Infinite Baffle subwoofer. I would have liked to try that as the mounting holes may have been all the same but as it were - the 9 and 3 o'clock screw holes matched up perfectly between the Polk and the JL and this saved a lot of trouble mounting the new speaker. As many have reported - the JL speaker does a killer job.

View attachment 38121
@Majorsmackdown it looks like you installed a remote bass level controller. Did you mount that on the dash?

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
could you post a wider view of the mid ship and swim deck to get a better idea?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2017-6-7_18-15-43.png

upload_2017-6-7_18-14-37.png

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool, thanks.
I'll take better pics and post if I don't forget, I currently have 10 DB561s (5 pairs). And a sub in the helm comp.

--