• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 212 limited S This is my first boat. What do i need?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wholeheartedly agree on taking that course!
Additionally take your spouse and kids (if they're old enough to really retain the information).

Also Google USCG VSC (vessel safety check). You can schedule an auxiliary USCG personnel to perform a vessel safety check on your boat. My local guy comes to my home and while he goes over the list I bring him what he needs. 30 minutes and done! You then get a sticker (to display on your boat) showing that you meet the requirements. This needs to be done annually.

Great extra insurance if your aquatic law enforcement is as active as ours is down here.
In Ohio we have this safety course. I did it and found it quite useful. State Farm gives me a discount on my boat insurance for the certification.

http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/operatorsguide

Definitely check out something like this in your state if you have not already done so.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum and being a boat owner @lukewaterwalker

I made this thread to help new Yamaha jet boat owners understand how to use some of the factory thrust features to your advantage How I use No Wake Mode and TDE to retrieve my boat Give it a look when you got time.

Go to the lake when it’s not busy (easy this time of year) and find a nice cove to practice maneuvers pretending it’s a dock or boat you’re pulling up to. Now toss out a fender without the rope attached. Practice pulling up the the fender from different directions against or with the wind, reverse, etc. Do this over and over to practice. In no time you will begin to understand how to control the boat using thrust and nozzle deflection. Before no time you’ll be a pro and you won’t have to worry about scuffing gelcoat whole your practice with the fender. Just be sure you remove the line so you don’t suck it up lol.

Good luck and enjoy the boat!

Last edited: