• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 212 limited S This is my first boat. What do i need?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Couldn't agree more on the loading guides! That was the first mod we did.

Take your time with her and make sure you break the engine in correctly.
(See owner's manual) Learning how your new boat operates, both in the water and on the trailer, will really come in handy later in the season when that ramp is busy and there's traffic everywhere.

Really keep an eye on your ropes. Getting one sucked up can really ruin a day. (Coming from experience) I personally use floating dock lines. Especially when just using them to tender the boat at the dock/ramp.

Most importantly... just enjoy it and take plenty of pics!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Rookie rods? The only people calling them that would be people who've never had to trailer in a narrow river channel with swirling currents in stiff gusting winds! Then they are loading guides.
Yep. Can also be really helpful when retrieving after dark.
I've had those on every boat trailer except for the new one, lol, but I'm having them installed as soon as we start trailering again. I also like the pole lights - which help increase the trailer visibility at night tremendously!

--
I agree with @Julian and @Bennie and @swatski LOL, one of my first memories was on a boat checking lobster pots with my dad when I was 3. 55 years and several boats later, I have trailer guides for the Yamaha as a boating "veteran". Peace of mind and loading with timely precision is key at a busy ramp. It does take practice. No one likes the stern of the boat drifting leeward during launch and retrieval.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really keep an eye on your ropes. Getting one sucked up can really ruin a day.
That!
Bad things can happen very fast. Keep in mind, there is NO NEUTRAL in these boats. The impellers are always spinning, always in the same direction.

--

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh....as for steering enhancements let me say this:

We purchased our 242 in March of 2015, and just finally put fins on late last year. So far I haven't seen any major improvement ..... EXCEPT for the Lateral Thrusters.
There's a good amount of current at my local ramps, those Lateral have already saved me from some dock rash. If I had purchased them earlier my black haul wouldn't look like a cat's damn scratch post. :mad::(

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
An anchor that works. And a second one or a sand spike for the stern.

lukewaterwalker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you everybody this is exactly what i asked for. This will make my shopping so much easier. I think ill go with just the lateral thrusters right away and the rods since i am a rookie for sure. I got the backing down pretty good since i do it for a living(trucker) and i definitely be getting all the safety stuff you listed along with some accessories you all are awesome i can't thank you enough.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did anyone mention the bow roller? I don’t remember seeing it. I assume that’s still high on the replace list for the new boats as in the past?

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did anyone mention the bow roller? I don’t remember seeing it. I assume that’s still high on the replace list for the new boats as in the past?
You are correct! I had them replace my bow roller (clear blue to match the boat) when they did the sea trial. Luke, have them change it out with a "clear" (clear as in transparent, still colored if you wish) roller that wont mark up your gelcoat.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you everybody this is exactly what i asked for. This will make my shopping so much easier. I think ill go with just the lateral thrusters right away and the rods since i am a rookie for sure. I got the backing down pretty good since i do it for a living(trucker) and i definitely be getting all the safety stuff you listed along with some accessories you all are awesome i can't thank you enough.
Keep in mind where you are putting your boat in the water as you consider the guides. I have found that NOT having them is useful when I put the boat on the trailer with a crosswind. You are in the right place for ideas on how to mod & spend $ on the boat. Try to avoid analysis paralysis and get out there and have fun and get some hours under your belt with the boat.

Care to share some pics of the new boat?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Every year we have a new jet boating class so to speak this year is the class of 2019, The site does not usually loose information so often if you do a search of a subject you will find years of information at your fingertips.
Now when it comes to some subjects there is the a section called members tips and ideas , you can peruse that section as well.
I will offer the same advice I always offer when it comes to choosing what steering mods to consider, DRIVE THE BOAT as it CAME FROM THE FACTORY.
Learn how it responds in calm water, rough water, wind, heavy boat traffic areas in no wake zones, with passengers and without, in forward and reverse use the reverse stopping feature and the turning during fast deceleration to avoid a hazard test. Best to know the response and effectiveness or lack there of for those features before you need them in a split second.
On twin throttle boats use the staggered control feature to move the back of the boat in to the dock or rotate it in place with the boat completely stock and learn how this is a big benefit of owning a twin engine twin control boat.
On Articulating keel boats there are more things to consider forget what you were told and form your own opinions based on first hand experience.
While you are accumulating seat time at the helm and developing your own opinions under your boating conditions use the search and tip features on this site to address any shortcomings that you feel are important to you.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Keep in mind where you are putting your boat in the water as you consider the guides. I have found that NOT having them is useful when I put the boat on the trailer with a crosswind.
Could you expand upon this statement so we can understand why guides are a problem when loading a boat in a cross wind? I've found exactly the opposite to be true, especially when you are on a steep ramp! With no guides on a steep ramp with either current or winds, the stern of the boat can get blown to one side or the other very quickly, and then when you pull out the boat is way off center. Even with the guides it can be off center, but they help. Without the guides, the boat can easily swing on a steep ramp.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Could you expand upon this statement so we can understand why guides are a problem when loading a boat in a cross wind? I've found exactly the opposite to be true, especially when you are on a steep ramp! With no guides on a steep ramp with either current or winds, the stern of the boat can get blown to one side or the other very quickly, and then when you pull out the boat is way off center. Even with the guides it can be off center, but they help. Without the guides, the boat can easily swing on a steep ramp.
Julian,

Sure! In my particular docking scenario, the ramps are not really *that* steep. I have found that I need to approach the trailer at an angle heading into the wind with some power at an angle before hitting the front bunks on the bow.

My ramps are two wide, so four boats can be loaded / unloaded at a time. To be fair, I’ve never felt the need to anchor the rear of the boat with the boat sunk at the proper depth. In a situation where depth and angle are not known, I could see the benefit where the stern of the boat “wonders” and won’t sit properly. In this case I will pull the trailer up a little more.

Having been thru the first time boater thing myself a few years ago, I don’t want @lukewaterwalker to feel he has to have the trailer guides to use his boat.

I believe that if he can learn the art of dunking the trailer at the right depth for retrieval first he may find that he doesn’t need them.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@mark_m - I see your point and raise you the probability/possibility of damage to your boat, or others.

Imho, the guides act as fenders do, protecting property from damage. In a crosswind you could get your nose in at an angle then use the guides to protect the boats girthier aft from contacting anything as you focus on your bow and ensuring a proper alignment on your trailer.

(Or at least that's what works for me)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I believe that if he can learn the art of dunking the trailer at the right depth for retrieval first he may find that he doesn’t need them.
That is my point...not all ramps are alike. So the original nickname that I found amusing comes from the guy who only uses one ramp, that happens to have a good angle, no wind or current etc. If this new boater has all that...great. But the one time he goes to a different ramp...he will find things could be very different. I find guides very helpful and eliminates my concerns from ramp to ramp. If he's never going to another lake and his ramp is good...perhaps he'll not need them...

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My trailer came with rookie rod thing a ma bobs. I thought they were more in the way then helpful. So I took them off.

Sometimes I have to tie a line to the stern and toss it to some one on shore to hold the boat straight...better/easier than the rods.

lukewaterwalker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keep in mind where you are putting your boat in the water as you consider the guides. I have found that NOT having them is useful when I put the boat on the trailer with a crosswind. You are in the right place for ideas on how to mod & spend $ on the boat. Try to avoid analysis paralysis and get out there and have fun and get some hours under your belt with the boat.

Care to share some pics of the new boat?
Ill be picking it up in two weeks. Im only off on weekends and dealer is over 2hours away. Lots of plans this weekend so i should be grabbing it around the 26th.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd recommend a coast guard safety course. It'll be a boring day, but you'll learn some nice tidbits.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd recommend a coast guard safety course. It'll be a boring day, but you'll learn some nice tidbits.
I wholeheartedly agree on taking that course!
Additionally take your spouse and kids (if they're old enough to really retain the information).

Also Google USCG VSC (vessel safety check). You can schedule an auxiliary USCG personnel to perform a vessel safety check on your boat. My local guy comes to my home and while he goes over the list I bring him what he needs. 30 minutes and done! You then get a sticker (to display on your boat) showing that you meet the requirements. This needs to be done annually.

Great extra insurance if your aquatic law enforcement is as active as ours is down here.