• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 AR190 What a Difference!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes do let us know I'm only turning like 7400 on the top end so curious to see how much you pickup with just removing the red one.
Put about 10-12 hours on the boat this weekend.

Had a chance to do a top speed run with just me and a 1/2 empty cooler in the boat. TONS of traffic, running from a rain storm, essentially as close to the "high seas" as you can get on a midwest inland lake. I came out of the water once and hit the limiter as the pump unloaded. It was nuts.....It also registered 45mph at one point. Not sure how much I believe that, but when it was in the water I was getting around 7550 rpm. Up about 100rpm from the previous top speed test I did.

Had a much heavier load on Monday. 4 adults, 4 boys (8, 7, 4, and 2). Plus 3 full coolers, 2 beach bags, a food bag, and a diaper bag. We were pretty well loaded down. Launch took a second or two to plane, didn't just "jump" out of the hole like it does with a lighter load. Still had zero cavitation on launch.

I did notice that when pulling a tube on Monday, that before when I would lean into a turn and get some loss of traction, that this phenomenon came on a little faster, and didn't recover quite as quickly as before. It's not quickly noticeable, but it was a small detail worth noting.

Overall, it wasn't much different than before. The changes were significantly subtle, and the wife noticed nothing different. Which tells me the changes are only obvious to someone paying VERY close attention.

Be curious to know if anyone else has a similar experience with changing shims.

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Probably just going to put some more hours on mine with all the spacers in then make a decision. Big thing I noticed was with 4 adults on take off it would only jump to 7K until it got up on plane. That is one reason I'm considering pulling a spacer out.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably just going to put some more hours on mine with all the spacers in then make a decision. Big thing I noticed was with 4 adults on take off it would only jump to 7K until it got up on plane. That is one reason I'm considering pulling a spacer out.
Yea, I was looking to change that same experience on mine. Same idea as tuning the stall speed on a torque converter in a car.

I might have gotten a little better hit on launch. RPM jumped to maybe 7200 or so, but it wasn't a huge change. The shims appear to be such a fine tuning tool that I suspect they make a much larger impact on the skis they were designed for and the boats just don't react the same way.

Pulling the shims, including taking pics and writing that post, might have taken 10min total. It's a single (6mm I think) allen bit with a 10in extension on a 3/8in ratchet. I didn't pull the bucket/nozzle/anything else on the drive, just slide my hand in there and pulled it out.

I could easily swap shims on the ramp and not really take up too much time. Super easily swap them in the parking lot. Would NOT attempt to swap them on the water unless you can see the bottom!

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good comparison on that. After seeing your experience seams like just dealing with the bog is the best route because it hooks up better in the turns.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good comparison on that. After seeing your experience seams like just dealing with the bog is the best route because it hooks up better in the turns.
That's where I'm at now.

Even with all the spacers in, it will lose traction in the turns. Somewhat maddening to be honest. With all the spacers in, it doesn't hook up in the turns any better, but recovers (seemingly) faster than without the red spacer. So the "return" to normal thrust is slightly quicker. Again, all very subtle changes that most wouldn't notice.

I've been told the CJS Vipers will fix this loss of traction issue in the turns, but I'm hesitant to try them as, for me, I love how "loose" the boat is at slow speeds. I spun myself within a double width slip this weekend while waiting for holiday traffic behind me to clear. Not sure how much the fins would have prevented that. Jeff does offer a 30-day "no hassle" return policy, so I might try the vipers and see. I'm just not a fan to begin with, so it's a hard sell for me.

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the viper on mine it makes turning a whole different world lol and jeff has been great to work with as well. The biggest thing I love about it tho is how straight it tracks now when cruising like I can get up and walk away lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the viper on mine it makes turning a whole different world lol and jeff has been great to work with as well. The biggest thing I love about it tho is how straight it tracks now when cruising like I can get up and walk away lol
I suspect my wife would like that part of it.

I really just need to give it a try and see if they work for me. Maybe I'm overthinking it. (I tend to do that on a lot of things)

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suspect my wife would like that part of it.

I really just need to give it a try and see if they work for me. Maybe I'm overthinking it. (I tend to do that on a lot of things)
I only had the boat out 2 times when I added it. It got on my nerves having to constantly correct the steering when at cruise and in no wake. I got the viper because of no moving parts and supposed to act like a trim tab but haven't noticed much on that but I did only have a few hours on the boat under me when I added it.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I did the ribbon delete I noticed the engine noise seemed less whiny and more throaty did you notice this as well or am I just losing my mind?
Yes I agree, the tone changed and like many reported the noise/db level went up, but not to an intolerable level for me. I like it!

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I agree, the tone changed and like many reported the noise/db level went up, but not to an intolerable level for me. I like it!
Well I still maybe losing my mind, but I'm not alone. I definitely think its sounds better after doing the ribbon delete, enjoy!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another follow up on my end.

I think I'm going to put the red spacer back in. I've been ding some tubing again lately, and the cavitation on the turns is annoying. While it might "catch up" a little quicker, I would rather just not have it in general. I might even try to add some more spacers if I can get my hands on them.

I'm also...*gasp*....considering a set of CJS Vipers to help with the loss of speed in turns.......but that's a tale for another thread :D.......I'll report back on how the additional spacers go if I ever get some in there.

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another follow up on my end.

I think I'm going to put the red spacer back in. I've been ding some tubing again lately, and the cavitation on the turns is annoying. While it might "catch up" a little quicker, I would rather just not have it in general. I might even try to add some more spacers if I can get my hands on them.

I'm also...*gasp*....considering a set of CJS Vipers to help with the loss of speed in turns.......but that's a tale for another thread :D.......I'll report back on how the additional spacers go if I ever get some in there.
I know this may sound weird but never got around to messing with my cone to take a spacer out but the last 2 times I took the boat out it has been at normal rpm wide open and actually got like 42-43 one of the last times I was out but for the most part still top out at 38 or so. Not sure why the first few times after taking it out after the ribbon delete, new plugs and l13 cone it was running like 7300 at WOT but now it's 7500-7600

maxca1965

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am ECSTATIC! Yesterday I finished out a couple of mods/projects and I couldn't believe the results.

First off thanks to Will and crew @JetBoatPilot for the SeaDek! I love the difference from the carpet and it looks so good!

On to the really good news, @AJACHIM and I have gained a great deal of knowledge about our boats from so many helpful members of this forum, so thank you all for input along the way.
The mods I have now completed have really woken up my NA 1.8L motor. I completed the ribbon delete, why i didn't do that sooner i have no idea. As I was putting the intake back together I decided to do something we have done on most of our racing skis in the past... I completely removed the stock air box and replaced the intake with a 6" K&N intake filter. Coupled with the L13 cone that i installed at the end of last season here are my results and numbers. First off the low and mid range increase was incredibly noticeable, the rpm response was almost instantaneous. WOT RPM now 7650 and I increased my top a smidge breaking 45mph ( my weight and water conditions were Ideal with flat water,1,071ft above sea level on Lake Lanier GA., just me in the boat, half tank of fuel and no gear loaded). I am certainly impressed with these three simple yet effective mods! If you have any input and could throw me a few numbers to compare I'm all about it!
As far as the increase in the engine noise/sound i agree with others that it is a noticeable increase, but I can still hear my stereo at WOT... and besides a former jet ski racer, I love some good engine noise lol
One other thing I'm thinking about but would need some honest input first, is to cut a vent under the rear seat/engine cover and place an air scoop and screen just above where the K&N sits to really push some fresh air into the engine compartment like a ram air vent. Under the seat there are 2 channels one on each side and the starboard one is directly above the air filter. Let me know what you think.

Nauti Nurse
p.s. please excuse how dirty she is, she hasn't had her start of season full detail yet! lol
View attachment 118948View attachment 118949View attachment 118951
HEY, I LIKE THAT FLOOR WHER CAN I FIND IT ?

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was just browsing through RIVA's website. Has anyone put any research into bolt pattern / position of aftermarket intake grates? Will the FX series intake grate match up?

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I know this may sound weird but never got around to messing with my cone to take a spacer out but the last 2 times I took the boat out it has been at normal rpm wide open and actually got like 42-43 one of the last times I was out but for the most part still top out at 38 or so. Not sure why the first few times after taking it out after the ribbon delete, new plugs and l13 cone it was running like 7300 at WOT but now it's 7500-7600
Likely you were out during cooler temperatures. I get more RPM in the early morning when I slalom ski than I do during the day when cruising around or wakeboarding/tubing. Typically a few hundred RPM, but sometimes more. I bounce around to different elevation lakes in Utah though, so it is hard for me to always compare apples to apples.

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Likely you were out during cooler temperatures. I get more RPM in the early morning when I slalom ski than I do during the day when cruising around or wakeboarding/tubing. Typically a few hundred RPM, but sometimes more. I bounce around to different elevation lakes in Utah though, so it is hard for me to always compare apples to apples.
Well I found a pattern with it last time I was out. When i first put it in the water i can hit my higher rpm but after running for a while it will heat soak and only want to run at 7300 or so but its really hot down here in Georgia.

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am ECSTATIC! Yesterday I finished out a couple of mods/projects and I couldn't believe the results.

First off thanks to Will and crew @JetBoatPilot for the SeaDek! I love the difference from the carpet and it looks so good!

On to the really good news, @AJACHIM and I have gained a great deal of knowledge about our boats from so many helpful members of this forum, so thank you all for input along the way.
The mods I have now completed have really woken up my NA 1.8L motor. I completed the ribbon delete, why i didn't do that sooner i have no idea. As I was putting the intake back together I decided to do something we have done on most of our racing skis in the past... I completely removed the stock air box and replaced the intake with a 6" K&N intake filter. Coupled with the L13 cone that i installed at the end of last season here are my results and numbers. First off the low and mid range increase was incredibly noticeable, the rpm response was almost instantaneous. WOT RPM now 7650 and I increased my top a smidge breaking 45mph ( my weight and water conditions were Ideal with flat water,1,071ft above sea level on Lake Lanier GA., just me in the boat, half tank of fuel and no gear loaded). I am certainly impressed with these three simple yet effective mods! If you have any input and could throw me a few numbers to compare I'm all about it!
As far as the increase in the engine noise/sound i agree with others that it is a noticeable increase, but I can still hear my stereo at WOT... and besides a former jet ski racer, I love some good engine noise lol
One other thing I'm thinking about but would need some honest input first, is to cut a vent under the rear seat/engine cover and place an air scoop and screen just above where the K&N sits to really push some fresh air into the engine compartment like a ram air vent. Under the seat there are 2 channels one on each side and the starboard one is directly above the air filter. Let me know what you think.

Nauti Nurse
p.s. please excuse how dirty she is, she hasn't had her start of season full detail yet! lol
View attachment 118948View attachment 118949View attachment 118951
Looks great! Is that SeaDek Storm Gray over Black?