• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Audi Q5 2.0

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2012 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line 3.0 that does NOT have the fix yet. It tows 6600 and have pulled a 4100lb camper plus all my stuff for 2 months from TX to Colorado (approx 500lbs of stuff). Pulled it over several mountain passes including Wolf Creek and the one south of Breckenridge with no issues. I have a 2019 Scarab 195ID 300hp on order and know my Q7 will pull that boat very easily loaded down and full tank of gas. I'm terrified that this emissions fix due by September 1st is going to hurt towing at altitude, as it states that it effects the engine brake and performance at altitude. So far, the fix on the new generations 2013 and up, has had little effect. But it is destroying the Q5s, tons of issues. So definitely do NOT buy a Q5 with the emissions fix. Q7 sounds pretty safe with the fix, 2013 and up for sure. If any of you guys have a Q7 TDI and have had the fix, please comment on performance. I haven't found anything on forums with Gen 1 fix performance other than the AdBlue filter gets plugged sooner and Audi may be building a larger filter.
veedubtek
Did you say you have a Cayenne or looking at buying one? Just curious what your take is on the emissions fix?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[QUOTE="kkees, post: 352985, member: 14388. But it is destroying the Q5s, tons of issues. So definitely do NOT buy a Q5 with the emissions fix. [/QUOTE]

I own a 2014 Q5 TDI with the fix, about 25k miles with the fix on and no problems. 28mpg city/35mpg highway (I don't tow anything)
Can you tell me where your getting your info from, I'd like to know if I need to be worried or what to look for going wrong, although the 4 year/125k mile (or something like that) additional warranty does give me a lot of peace of mind,

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
[QUOTE="kkees, post: 352985, member: 14388. But it is destroying the Q5s, tons of issues. So definitely do NOT buy a Q5 with the emissions fix.
I own a 2014 Q5 TDI with the fix, about 25k miles with the fix on and no problems. 28mpg city/35mpg highway (I don't tow anything)
Can you tell me where your getting your info from, I'd like to know if I need to be worried or what to look for going wrong, although the 4 year/125k mile (or something like that) additional warranty does give me a lot of peace of mind,[/QUOTE]

The service manager at the Audi dealer told me about this here in Austin. On the forums you will hear the gripes about it and borderline lawsuit for the fix. You are one of the lucky ones. You would know by now if there was an issue.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you tell me where your getting your info from, I'd like to know if I need to be worried or what to look for going wrong, although the 4 year/125k mile (or something like that) additional warranty does give me a lot of peace of mind,
The service manager at the Audi dealer told me about this here in Austin. On the forums you will hear the gripes about it and borderline lawsuit for the fix. You are one of the lucky ones. You would know by now if there was an issue.[/QUOTE]

what forums? Audiworld ?? I've been looking for the jetboaters.net equivalent for TDI/audi forums but haven't found it yet, (audiworld responds very slow for me and often times locks up)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If any of you guys have a Q7 TDI and have had the fix
I had that car, the 2012 Q7 TDI. Hands down the BEST thing I ever drove and towed with, overall.
My fix was... I took their money, and I ran.

I must tell you I lost a lot of sleep over the decision but with the 2012 (gen1) not being easily up-gradable at the time I wanted no part of the "fix". If I kept it, I would had done a "full delete" but that would had exposed me to potential emissions liability, loss of warranty etc. So, I decided to cut my losses. Also, the payout was very generous which made it a bit easier to swallow.

Would I do it again? Probably.
The Q7 TDI is no doubt one of the best driving machines ever invented and serially produced, yet with all the emissions devices it is not bulletproof and (with no warranty coverage) potential repair bills can be staggering.

Are there times I wish I kept it? Yes. Nothing really pulls like it (between the low end grunt/ torque and the magic of their traction control.

--

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The service manager at the Audi dealer told me about this here in Austin. On the forums you will hear the gripes about it and borderline lawsuit for the fix. You are one of the lucky ones. You would know by now if there was an issue.
what forums? Audiworld ?? I've been looking for the jetboaters.net equivalent for TDI/audi forums but haven't found it yet, (audiworld responds very slow for me and often times locks up)[/QUOTE]
Yes Audiworld.

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had that car, the 2012 Q7 TDI. Hands down the BEST thing I ever drove and towed with, overall.
My fix was... I took their money, and I ran.

I must tell you I lost a lot of sleep over the decision but with the 2012 (gen1) not being easily up-gradable at the time I wanted no part of the "fix". If I kept it, I would had done a "full delete" but that would had exposed me to potential emissions liability, loss of warranty etc. So, I decided to cut my losses. Also, the payout was very generous which made it a bit easier to swallow.

Would I do it again? Probably.
The Q7 TDI is no doubt one of the best driving machines ever invented and serially produced, yet with all the emissions devices it is not bulletproof and (with no warranty coverage) potential repair bills can be staggering.

Are there times I wish I kept it? Yes. Nothing really pulls like it (between the low end grunt/ torque and the magic of their traction control.

--
Yes, I'm really on the fence right now about it. I absolutely LOVE the vehicle and have put new wheels on it, has new tires, heat blocking tint, new blower, new battery, new ad blue pump. and only have 85,000 on it. The fix came out July 30th I believe, and deadline was August 1st. So I don't know if they just threw anything out there to fix it. It could be totally fine. Who knows. I'm thinking of getting the fix and taking $14k. Buy back is 52K and to replace the car with something similar means a car payment again for a while. I won't be towing to Colorado for 2 or 3 years, just in Texas. So I'm sure it will be fine doing that. May just get a truck later down the road and use the Audi for non-towing trips and messing around town. A fair solution is if the fix messes up your car, then still go the buy back option. That is what is b.s. about this whole thing. They can't tell you how it will effect your car. Then if it does screw it up, you are screwed. Total B.S.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
what forums? Audiworld ?? I've been looking for the jetboaters.net equivalent for TDI/audi forums but haven't found it yet, (audiworld responds very slow for me and often times locks up)[/QUOTE]
The best Audi forum with out a doubt is Audizine Forums Been on this one for 5 years and is a really great community. Been very helpful for my SQ5 and S4. The audiworld suxxxx and always freezez up... Just my opinion. Hope this helps! @veedubtek @swatski for sure would know about audizine and am sure will chime in.

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn't know about that site. I will check it out.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, AZ is way better, but still doesn't compare to this.

@kkees . Take the money and run. I wouldn't buy new to replace, buy a newer one and pocket the rest. I wouldn't be surprised if there was still some leftover new ones floating around still too. You'll come out with plenty of money left over and a killer warranty to boot. The fixes on the 11/12's murder it, that's why they offer a buyback on those. I've owned fixed and unfixed 2013+ Touaregs and Cayennes at this point, and it really doesn't hurt them much (hence, no buyback offering on these). I lost 2mpg's and some initial torque, but nothing worth complaining about. Not to mention, it really ain't worth anything near that to anyone else, ever again. I'm selling my 2014 Porsche CD now for 28K. If you went to trade that in a year or 2 from now, you might get 15K. My buddy bought a fixed 2011 Q7 for 12K 3 months ago. Longterm, the powertrain holds up great, but you'll have to deal with your sunroof drains wiping out thousands of dollars worth of modules conveniently placed where the drains leak (very common on all those early Q7's). I'd dump it while the dumping is good.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

@kkees . Take the money and run. I wouldn't buy new to replace, buy a newer one and pocket the rest. I wouldn't be surprised if there was still some leftover new ones floating around still too. You'll come out with plenty of money left over and a killer warranty to boot. The fixes on the 11/12's murder it, that's why they offer a buyback on those. I've owned fixed and unfixed 2013+ Touaregs and Cayennes at this point, and it really doesn't hurt them much (hence, no buyback offering on these). I lost 2mpg's and some initial torque, but nothing worth complaining about. Not to mention, it really ain't worth anything near that to anyone else, ever again. I'm selling my 2014 Porsche CD now for 28K. If you went to trade that in a year or 2 from now, you might get 15K. My buddy bought a fixed 2011 Q7 for 12K 3 months ago. Longterm, the powertrain holds up great, but you'll have to deal with your sunroof drains wiping out thousands of dollars worth of modules conveniently placed where the drains leak (very common on all those early Q7's). I'd dump it while the dumping is good.
I’ve learned to listen to @veedubtek.
Anything mechanical that is, lol.

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

If I were to keep it, I was definitely going to get the drains replaced before that happens. I definitely know about that one. The fixed 2011 Q7 friend bought, how does it perform compared to prefix? Any idea? Has he/she towed with it? Mine is just in pristine condition @ 85k. What kind of a risk is it to not get the fix and hope the parts stay available?

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Also, is there a modification that can be done after the emissions fix to make it perform better?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, is there a modification that can be done after the emissions fix to make it perform better?
I believe a (so called) "delete"w/ ECU reflash can turn on the beast mode, which I contemplated, however any aftermarket/non-approved engine or exhaust modification will automatically cancel any extended warranty...

--

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe a (so called) "delete"w/ ECU reflash can turn on the beast mode, which I contemplated, however any aftermarket/non-approved engine or exhaust modification will automatically cancel any extended warranty...

--
I don't have an extended warranty. The only one I would have would be related to that fix.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The one with the fix is quite impressive. Just had a (would be) $5000 oil leak fixed on my Porsche for free from the warranty.

But yeah, 2K or so retail gets full delete kit, no more emissions, and more power and efficiency than ever before. No more adblue as well.

Even if that's what you wanted, I'd still sell it back and buy a newer one myself. There was a 2015 Cayenne diesel here locally, sub 20K miles for 42K. Something like that leaves 10K to play with still. If you need the 3rd row of the q7, here's a 2015 with 25K miles for 34K. Lots of clean low mileage examples out there.

Used Audi Q7 For Sale - CarGurus

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The one with the fix is quite impressive. Just had a (would be) $5000 oil leak fixed on my Porsche for free from the warranty.

But yeah, 2K or so retail gets full delete kit, no more emissions, and more power and efficiency than ever before. No more adblue as well.

Even if that's what you wanted, I'd still sell it back and buy a newer one myself. There was a 2015 Cayenne diesel here locally, sub 20K miles for 42K. Something like that leaves 10K to play with still. If you need the 3rd row of the q7, here's a 2015 with 25K miles for 34K. Lots of clean low mileage examples out there.

No need for a 3rd seat. I have 2 large dogs, so I've really only seen the 3rd seat once in 5 years! hahaha

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Got another question for you. When I bought my Audi, it had the 21inch wheels and took those off because I got tired of paying $2300 for tires every 18k miles. Audi told me that after market rims dont fit right and cause a shimmy over 50mph or so. I bought a set of 20inch wheels and tires for $2500 and now the tires are $160 each. But never had a shimmy. I really like the wheels and would want to take them with me to another car, especially if the newer one had 21inch rims, which most likely would, because I would only go with another s-line. Curious if the rims fit a 2012 if they would fit a 2015? I would think so. Audi keeps telling me different but they were wrong the first time.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They definitely will. Any Touareg, Q7, or Cayenne really. They all run the same spec wheels.