• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018's ARE HERE!!!

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In the 21 footers, over the past few years anyways, the 210 have the TR-1s (3 cylinder 4 strokes) and the 212 have the twin 1.8L (4 cylinder 4 stokes). As far as I know the engine compartment is the same size between the 210s and 212s, just another premium feature for the higher package

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder what the cost to the general public is between the TR-1 and the 1.8L engines. Also I'm curious what is the weight difference with the 2 engines are? Just seems silly to not put the 1.8 in the new 21' FSH. I can't imagine the cost difference would be crazy, but I could be wrong.
The difference in the SX210 and the 212 limited is 10k. Now that's not all attributed to the motors because there are other upgrades on the 212 as well, but the bulk of that is the motors.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm really not a fan of the color schemes on the 2017 Limited S. Last year's glossy black just looks so good. Between the free extended warranty and soon-to-be leftover 17 pricing, I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to get an '18 Limited S.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm really not a fan of the color schemes on the 2017 Limited S. Last year's glossy black just looks so good. Between the free extended warranty and soon-to-be leftover 17 pricing, I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to get an '18 Limited S.
I don't like the colored tower version for sure.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with you on the 21' limited S, not much of a different 17' to 18', but with the 24' limited S, you get that sweet 12" connext with navigation.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with you on the 21' limited S, not much of a different 17' to 18', but with the 24' limited S, you get that sweet 12" connext with navigation.
Yeah, the bigger screen is definitely super cool, but at what might a 5-7K difference? I'm not that sure. At that point I'd rather throw down a grand on a really nice chartplotter/sonar combo. At least from 16 to 17, we got the nice seadek material and a couple other tangible things - I'm not seeing much for '18 besides the screen, really.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How much faster top speed with those new motors? 46mph is my max with 2015 SX210. New SX210 with new motors? 50mph or more?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Likes on the new 242 = 12" integrated display with chart plotter (this should have come out two years ago). Colors are subjective but I'd want to see in person....I'm drawn to the red on the 242.

The jury is still out = Surfgate. I'd be more intrigued if it had an on/off switch. As it it, up on Lake Tahoe, I'm already burning about 10-11gph going 24-26mph. If you take a day like saturday where we covered 55 miles (ran the length of the lake) that's a lotta fuel.

Something that would be nice is more power...I feel like my 242x is underpowered at 6200 feet with top being 6200rpm. put more than +8 people on it and it's a pig.

Now what I'd totally like to see is an upgrade option to swap out the analog gauges and Connect to the 12". That'd be something I'd totally think about.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Likes on the new 242 = 12" integrated display with chart plotter (this should have come out two years ago). Colors are subjective but I'd want to see in person....I'm drawn to the red on the 242.

The jury is still out = Surfgate. I'd be more intrigued if it had an on/off switch. As it it, up on Lake Tahoe, I'm already burning about 10-11gph going 24-26mph. If you take a day like saturday where we covered 55 miles (ran the length of the lake) that's a lotta fuel.

Something that would be nice is more power...I feel like my 242x is underpowered at 6200 feet with top being 6200rpm. put more than +8 people on it and it's a pig.

Now what I'd totally like to see is an upgrade option to swap out the analog gauges and Connect to the 12". That'd be something I'd totally think about.
Sounds like you need some high altitude impellers.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That may be an idea to try for next year. My 232 obviously had reduced rpm at elevation, but it always seemed to have enough power...even with 10 people on it, it'd get up on a plane...although it took 8,000rpm to do so...with 1,000 to spare. With the 242, put 10 people in it, it may or may not get on plane. You have any recommendation for high elevation impellers and know if they would still be effective down at 1,000 feet as I do boat down there as well (not as much though)

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much faster top speed with those new motors? 46mph is my max with 2015 SX210. New SX210 with new motors? 50mph or more?
The TR1s are pretty much identical performance wise to the MR1 giver or take some. Definitely not doing 50, the 1.8s barely get over 50 these days. I think the new hull designs slowed them down some, as pretty much all the Yamaha's across the board were running faster several years ago.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That may be an idea to try for next year. My 232 obviously had reduced rpm at elevation, but it always seemed to have enough power...even with 10 people on it, it'd get up on a plane...although it took 8,000rpm to do so...with 1,000 to spare. With the 242, put 10 people in it, it may or may not get on plane. You have any recommendation for high elevation impellers and know if they would still be effective down at 1,000 feet as I do boat down there as well (not as much though)
I know we put impros impellers in our Ar230 for low end grunt with the extra ballast that we ran. These impellers are so easy to change I would just change them out before I took the boat down south. I think I could do the job in an hour total.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check out @sysinu posts - he has done it, back and forth, hopefully he can chime in!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/550-set-of-3500-altitude-pitched-impellers.11261/#post-193345

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree. To be honest, I really like the color scheme of my AR240 now and it will take a good scheme for me to change my mind lol. But I do have to say I love the 2015 AR240 and 2017 AR240 Space blues. My favorite color.
I feel the same way. I like my Suede grey hull. Love the space blue hulls also

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Eric Ballard , it could be an emissions thing / requirement of the epa. Besides Its very common for yamaha to test new things on their waverunners before moving the technology to their boats (for example, the 1.8L motors and super charged versions of the same were in waverunners long before they were installed in the boats). Until now the tr1 could only be found in specific waverunners.

Fyi unless things have changed yamaha still doesnt / can't sell fsh models or 192/195 models here in ca. When i asked i was told its an epa thing that yamaha accidentally or intentionally failed to comply with.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My coworker said he's only getting about 42mph with his new AR210.

bobs4state

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone heard if they have reduced the noise in the 24-foot boats?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Has anyone heard if they have reduced the noise in the 24-foot boats?
Above and beyond the quiet cruise implemented in 2015 in the 24'ers?

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
IM leary of the TR1 motor, specially having my 212x with 1.8's. I know the FSH models are lighter however I love the 1.8's. I think if yamaha got real serious and offered a deluxe in the FSH with the 1.8's Id probably bite. Either way I am waiting for one to come in and take a test drive in just to see how it would feel and fit in. May end up waiting another year to see if they bring out a 24 FSH which it would most definitely have the 1.8's...