• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR190 surf set up.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking to get my 190 set up for surfing.

From what I gather I really only need the transom bag (5-600lbs ballast) and I should be able to go ropeless?

Debating on thrust vector wake, watching to see other results. Saw promo video with steel shot ballast.

Seeing maybe need the lucky 13 cone.

Has anyone else already done this?
If so, what was your setup?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

From what I gather I really only need the transom bag (5-600lbs ballast) and I should be able to go ropeless?

Debating on thrust vector wake, watching to see other results. Saw promo video with steel shot ballast.

I have a 2017 AR195 and I’m using the custom transom bag 490lbs centered and Fat Sac in the ski locker 370lbs along with two 50lbs lead bags under the rear seats pushed all the way back. I would also highly recommend the lucky 13 with all 3 spacers. My buddy could easily go rope less with the current set up, however I still have a little ways to go and very close.

I currently have the Thrust Vector Wake on order arriving Thursday.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

For best results, the things you will benefit from are the OEM impeller in tip-top shape, the L13, and well sealed (ported) pump, no cavitation.
The L13 may scrub some top speed, but who cares, your hole shot and pulling power will be awesome when loaded up with people and gear.
The 195s have larger pumps (160mm) and a lot more power.
190s can do it, too, though! This is @jcyamaharider in action behind a 190:

--

Sebastian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 AR195 and I’m using the custom transom bag 490lbs centered and Fat Sac in the ski locker 370lbs along with two 50lbs lead bags under the rear seats pushed all the way back. I would also highly recommend the lucky 13 with all 3 spacers. My buddy could easily go rope less with the current set up, however I still have a little ways to go and very close.

I currently have the Thrust Vector Wake on order arriving Thursday.
You're using the custom transom bag in the center of the swim platform and not moved over to one side?
Or did I get that wrong?

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
How hard is it to install the lucky 13 cone? Is it worth it if I'm trading in my boat 18 months? Was going to install GPS cruise control but again just gonna put that money in the moomba max account.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You're using the custom transom bag in the center of the swim platform and not moved over to one side?
Or did I get that wrong?
That’s correct centered then have any passengers sit on the surf side.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How hard is it to install the lucky 13 cone? Is it worth it if I'm trading in my boat 18 months? Was going to install GPS cruise control but again just gonna put that money in the moomba max account.
$300 for a Lucky 13, 20-30 minutes to install and one of the best mods I have done and the most bang for the buck.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
$300 for a Lucky 13, 20-30 minutes to install and one of the best mods I have done and the most bang for the buck.
Shit I thought I read somewhere that it was like a 4 hour install. Are there good install videos somewhere?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shit I thought I read somewhere that it was like a 4 hour install. Are there good install videos somewhere?
Different model but should be very similar. I forgot, if you are in a 195 with SVHO engine - you will need a cone with 4 bolts. Don't lose any dowels and don;t forget to swap the o-ring.
The way the L13 works is pretty simple. Basically, it increases the efficiency of the pump by increasing pressure and thrust.

I have previously installed and tested a Lucky 13 in a single engine 190, but it is a long thread. https://jetboaters.net/threads/anyo...ce-adjustable-pump-cone-in-a-boat.7967/page-2
Needless to say, I liked it so much I decided to get those for the new 240.

THE RESULTS
I love those cones. Have not done any tweaking or tuning at this point (here, with the new boat), just installed the cones using all 3 spacers provided and ran around a bit to see how it feels. Hard to describe the effects, but the boat handles "tighter" and accelerates better, which is due to improved pump loading. Top speed and RPM are the same, but speed can be improved by tuning the cone and the impeller/venturi. I have NOT done ANY tuning here, yet the boat runs noticeably better with the L13 (strait out of the box) than w/OEM cones.

L13s were sourced from greenhulk store Lucky 13 Performance Adjustable Pump Cones : PWC Performance Parts Those are very high quality parts. The base is tapered 3deg, but it is hard to see in the pics. It has 3-bolt base (distinct from SVHO that has 4).

The hardest part (!) was getting the OEM grease (called "EPNOC grease AP #0" or "EP") for the pump bearing. I wanted to stay with the OEM grease. After a long search found the US equivalent ("Mobilux™ EP 0") here:
https://redidriver.com/my-redi-driver-store/8-oz-ep-0-grease-for-redi-driver-free-shipping-in-usa/
View attachment 49599

INSTALL
First step -- pulling the pump. This has been documented elsewhere, but here are few quick easy steps that I follow, same/similar on both sides:
View attachment 49600
Note that my boat has the additional (port side) steering rod (from @Cobra Jet Steering LLC). A long wrench extender comes in handy to reach 4 main (also long) bolts that hold the venturi segment.

Don't loose those pesky dowels (there are 2):
View attachment 49601View attachment 49602

Note that at this point the stator (pump bearing housing) segment of the pump can be pulled out, along with the impeller and the shaft. However, there is no need to do so for this particular mod.

The OEM cone is attached w/ 3 allen bolts/washers that are reused in L13. There are notches in the OEM cone that fit a flat screwdriver for prying the cone off. The aluminum flange is soft and there is an O-ring on the inside that can be damaged, so proceed carefully, these are critical parts for pump maintenance:
View attachment 49604View attachment 49605
Here, there is no evidence of water intrusion, and everything looks fine inside this housing.

Here are the two cones side-by-side. Quite a difference in size! Note, the base of the L13 has smaller cavity.
IMPORTANT - the OEM O-ring needs to be moved from the OEM cone to the base of the L13 (red arrows):
View attachment 49606View attachment 49615

Here comes OEM grease, it is semi-liquid. I used approx. 2oz. of new grease per cone. Ambient temps are low, but even at room temp this stuff is easy to handle and not too runny.
View attachment 49608View attachment 49616

The base of the L13 is tapered and it is important to install it with the small engraved letter "T" towards the top (which will center the cone inside the venturi):
View attachment 49610
(The "top" bolt is OFF center to the left, in both pumps)

The base needs to be separated from the "cone" to gain access to bolt holes. I use a bit of LockTite on the allen bolts since the base stays in the pump. There is a small O-ring, and the spacers can be loaded and exchanged WITHOUT removing the base. This is very important - once the base is on, spacer adjustments can be made without exposing the critical pump bearing.
View attachment 49611View attachment 49612
View attachment 49613View attachment 49614

Running on single engines, each gets the boat to 30+ mph (up from approx. 25mph with OEM cones).
There is still a lot of cavitation running with one engines. The L13 can not prevent this although it does help.
View attachment 49617

Top speed and RPM are unchanged in my boat with this setup, running at about 50-52mph top. This can be further tuned, either for higher speed or better hole shot/acceleration.
View attachment 49618

Done. There will be more tuning and testing, TBA.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do you have for a board? A quick board is going to be extremely helpful. Not just trying to sell a board here (maybe a little ;)) there are several boards people have managed to surf with behind the 19 ft boats with, @jcyamaharider demonstrated one in the video posted prior. There is the new Slingshot Coaster that's supposed to be one of the quickest and most effortless boards to ride on smaller wakes. I'm hoping to know how good and effortless this weekend.

It comes in a 5'3", 5'0" and a 5'0" XR (carbon fiber). The 5'3" is going to offer the max surface area and volume and buoyancy, but the 5'0" may fit in the small pocket better. @jcyamaharider, what board are you using in the video and do you happen to know the size?

Anyway, I've got all 3 versions in stock. If you or anyone else is interested let me know and I'll shoot you a NICE discount.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In the video was not my board but I do believe it was a liquid force fish board or something similar. I was also able to go ropeless extremely easy with my full carbon fiber phase 5 oath.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the video was not my board but I do believe it was a liquid force fish board or something similar. I was also able to go ropeless extremely easy with my full carbon fiber phase 5 oath.
Do you know the length of your oath? Would you recommend a longer board or fo you think it would begin to crowd the pocket?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The oath is shorter ( 4' something ), I wouldn't recommend too long of a board because, like you said, it will start crowding the pocket.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are y’alls thoughts on the aerial bags?

I can get the pump, 550lb bag and 350lb bag for $290 shipped

I was thinking of putting the 550 on lower swim deck and the 350 in the swim locker.

Last edited:

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do you have for a board? A quick board is going to be extremely helpful. Not just trying to sell a board here (maybe a little ;)) there are several boards people have managed to surf with behind the 19 ft boats with, @jcyamaharider demonstrated one in the video posted prior. There is the new Slingshot Coaster that's supposed to be one of the quickest and most effortless boards to ride on smaller wakes. I'm hoping to know how good and effortless this weekend.

It comes in a 5'3", 5'0" and a 5'0" XR (carbon fiber). The 5'3" is going to offer the max surface area and volume and buoyancy, but the 5'0" may fit in the small pocket better. @jcyamaharider, what board are you using in the video and do you happen to know the size?

Anyway, I've got all 3 versions in stock. If you or anyone else is interested let me know and I'll shoot you a NICE discount.
Currently I have the Hyperlite landlock it was given to me, seems fine for now but it almost 6 foot so pretty long.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I personally don't think longer boards is the answer, since the pocket is so small already. Just my 2 cents.
What are y’alls thoughts on the aerial bags?

I can get the pump, 550lb bag and 350lb bag for $290 shipped

I was thinking of putting the 550 on lower swim deck and the 350 in the swim locker.
I would use the custom swim deck bag made for our boats. I'd then get steel bags for everything else unless you plan on plumbing them in permanently with pumps and switches.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I personally don't think longer boards is the answer, since the pocket is so small already. Just my 2 cents.

I would use the custom swim deck bag made for our boats. I'd then get steel bags for everything else unless you plan on plumbing them in permanently with pumps and switches.
Last weekend I was out on my buddies axis, I liked the short board that he had the most. Not sure what the name of it was though.

The aerial bags are way cheaper at $290 shipped but they are round. Measuring the bottom swim deck it’s 55x17 and the bags show to be 51x15.

Downside is how do I sucure and how do I get on and off the boat.

The transom bag puts 550lbs split between upper and lower. It does leave part of the deck to get in and out. Downside, it’s $550 plus another bag for the swim locker.

I’m leaning towards doing the aerials to start. Worst case they end up becoming the ski locker bag and one extra and I buy the transom bag.

What board do yall recommend?

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Last weekend I was out on my buddies axis, I liked the short board that he had the most. Not sure what the name of it was though.

The aerial bags are way cheaper at $290 shipped but they are round. Measuring the bottom swim deck it’s 55x17 and the bags show to be 51x15.

Downside is how do I sucure and how do I get on and off the boat.

The transom bag puts 550lbs split between upper and lower. It does leave part of the deck to get in and out. Downside, it’s $550 plus another bag for the swim locker.

I’m leaning towards doing the aerials to start. Worst case they end up becoming the ski locker bag and one extra and I buy the transom bag.

What board do yall recommend?
The swim deck bag is only $355.