• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR210 - Fogging?

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm preparing to put my 2019 AR210 away for the winter (up on a boat lift). I've read a bunch on this forum about fogging, but I'm still unsure exactly how to do it on my boat. I gather the TR-1 is a relatively new engine, and I haven't found any details on this forum for fogging this particular engine.

I have the pdf service manual for this boat (which is also the manual for the various 212's, and I think the 2019 is the same manual as some prior years. So...I search for "fogging" in the service manual, and nothing - zero hits - comes up. But I hear that "Yamaha recommends fogging their engines."

Any comments about why the service manual doesn't mention it, and from anyone who has fogged a TR-1, any comments about what exactly you did?

Thanks for any comments back.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Over the years, I have done it both ways. IMO, it does not add enough benefit to worry about. If it can happen easily, do it, if not, don't worry about it. When I had my 07 SX230 and could easily get to the valves, I fogged since it took seconds to do. The MR1 engines were easy to fog and there was direct and quick feedback, as the engine would die once you deliver the necessary amount of fogging oil. However, in my 2015 242 LS I only fogged the first year. Since then, I do not fog, as it is a pain to get to an area that will have any real affect and even then, I doubt how much gets to where it needs to get to. I do not know anything about the new TR1 engines, however, but guess the same rules apply.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The reason I tell people to fog is that we can't really see if any damage is being done by not fogging, that said my boat has on occasion sat for 6 months with no fogging,

Not sure on the new TR1's
the old mr1 as ROL stated we have to spray into the air intake,
the 1.8's have a nozzle on the fuel supply that you can connect the spray to,

The FAQ is locking up on my right now or I would attach a link from there,
the pages below are the update that Yamaha put out years ago that basically advised if your boat sits for more than a month to fog it,

Yamaha Fogging Procedure-1 (Medium).jpgYamaha Fogging Procedure-2 (Medium).jpgYamaha Fogging Procedure-3 (Medium).jpg

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure you just spray into the air intake. That's what I plan on doing. Do you have the service manual or the owners manual? I'm surprised it's not in the service manual. I googled it and saw this vid. The guy could just be making the same assumption as me though.

link

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's the service manual I'm looking at. Not a word about fogging came up in a search. https://www.yamahapubs.com/ebook/LIT-18616-03-73/LIT-18616-03-73.html#p=1

I had seen the pages shared by @Scottintexas , and got concerned when I saw things like "Do not follow this method for 2008-2011 models - it may result in oil pooling blah blah blah" Makes me think there's a right way and a wrong way, depending on the engine (and as Scott indicates on two different engines, there are two different places to spray - I don't know where to spray on my engines). The only things I could find in the FAQ were for significantly different engines, I think. Anybody fogged a TR-1?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Page 3-20 in the 210/212 manual talks about throttle valve lubrication using a rust inhibitor. I used fogging oil for this and then I pulled the spark plugs and sprayed each cylinder for a few seconds. This was for the TR1 engines but I agree, there is nothing called out specifically for fogging oil that I could find.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm preparing to put my 2019 AR210 away for the winter (up on a boat lift). I've read a bunch on this forum about fogging, but I'm still unsure exactly how to do it on my boat. I gather the TR-1 is a relatively new engine, and I haven't found any details on this forum for fogging this particular engine.

I have the pdf service manual for this boat (which is also the manual for the various 212's, and I think the 2019 is the same manual as some prior years. So...I search for "fogging" in the service manual, and nothing - zero hits - comes up. But I hear that "Yamaha recommends fogging their engines."

Any comments about why the service manual doesn't mention it, and from anyone who has fogged a TR-1, any comments about what exactly you did?

Thanks for any comments back.
I bought the service manual, and the one I was sent was for "2017-2018", so I'm left to believe the 2019 is the same as those years. There isn't anything in the service manual that uses the term "fogging", even though the owner's manual states on pg. 169 under Lubrication that "It is advisable to take the boat to a Yamaha Boat Dealer to have the engines fogged for long-term storage"

It's my wild guess that they don't want Joe Boater to do his own fogging due to some liability issue, hence the advice in the owner's manual, and that "fogging" the engines is the generic term used to cover the procedure @4x15mph points to, because that's exactly what "fogging the engine" is, IMO.

Last weekend, I was pressed for time so I did what is laid out in section 3-20, which was to remove the air filter cover, and spray fogging oil into the big round opening - that's your air intake hose. The service manual states to do this for 3 seconds. You absolutely will NOT be able to spray fogging oil into the intake for 3 solid seconds, you'll have to do small bursts. I did the small bursts about 5 times, then sprayed until the engine died.

Since temps will be reasonable enough for me to work on the boat this weekend, I'll be doing the following for additional peace of mind, and NOT because it was listed anywhere - I will be pulling the spark plugs out, and spray fogging oil continuously for 4-5 seconds per cylinder. When done with that, prior to putting everything back as it was, put a rag over the open cylinders, pull the safety lanyard, and turn the key to distribute the fogging oil. Come spring, I'll run the boat to burn off the fogging oil prior to changing out the spark plugs with fresh ones. I'll also be running antifreeze through my engine. I've dealt with plumbing issues for the vacation place for the past 4 years, so for me, this really is for my peace of mind, and not because it's needed - enough folks who live in my state have NOT done this, and had no issues. I already ran antifreeze through the bilge pump and the scupper last weekend, and I hadn't gotten my pump/parts to run it through the engine, otherwise I'd have started earlier last weekend and got this all done in one shot.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the service manual, and the one I was sent was for "2017-2018", so I'm left to believe the 2019 is the same as those years
My manual that I bought is labeled "2017-2019". I am sure it is the same but updated for 2019 reference since for TR1's, I don't know of changes

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys - great info. Just one question (sorry - it's my first boat) - why is the sentence below (copied from @drewkaree 's reply) true? Not questioning it - just wondering why can't I?

"You absolutely will NOT be able to spray fogging oil into the intake for 3 solid seconds, you'll have to do small bursts."

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The engine will die well before you get to 3 if you spray continuously. You want to do it in bursts so enough oil can cycle through the engine then after the bursts you can spray continuously until the engine dies.