• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Connext Navigation Question

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'll start (like everyone else) by saying I've searched threads for 2 days - couldn't find the answer...I ask for forgiveness upfront if this is posted elsewhere!

When using the navigation, the maps are oriented 'north-up'. Is there a way to change the orientation to 'track-up'?

(I'll add that typically in cars I just punch the compass and tends to change the orientation...didn't work for me last weekend)

Thanks in advance!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Searching here might not get you anywhere with that issue because the nav maps is new for 2019 connext.
Not many here have 19s yet or havent gotten out on them much yet.
Hopeful that there is someone who can answer that for you

Gary Tait

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cparker2, unless Yamaha decided to improve the functionality of the Connext maps for '19 boats, you won't be able to change the map orientation. I have the 12.3" screen in my '18 with the maps and it's not possible. Perhaps a future firmware enhancement *shrug*

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry man. Not possible as far as I can tell on my 2018. I found the map not very useful. I use navionics app on my phone

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm picking up my new boat in a few weeks from the dealer and my biggest concern besides never driving the boat before (or a jet boat for that matter) is the Connext system for all of my gauges. I am really hoping that the screen isn't glitchy. I'm not concerned about the nav as I will never be in another body of water besides my lake, its the tech screen issues that could happen....

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't see a way to do it on my 2019 (maybe someone else knows the secret). I thought maybe that on screen button in the upper right of the map, but that only display the heading of the boat. I like the map for general use, but for more accurate depths I like navionics on the phone sitting to the right on the dash.
Screenshot_20190426-214235.png

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm picking up my new boat in a few weeks from the dealer and my biggest concern besides never driving the boat before (or a jet boat for that matter) is the Connext system for all of my gauges. I am really hoping that the screen isn't glitchy. I'm not concerned about the nav as I will never be in another body of water besides my lake, its the tech screen issues that could happen....
Where u located?

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Unfortunately, with the MY18 and MY19 Connext displays that have mapping, there is no way to change to a heads/track up orientation. You can remove the SD card in the back of the display and update the maps with more detail by going to the Navionics website. Keep in mind though, that more details in the maps means they will update slower during use.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Unfortunately, with the MY18 and MY19 Connext displays that have mapping, there is no way to change to a heads/track up orientation. You can remove the SD card in the back of the display and update the maps with more detail by going to the Navionics website. Keep in mind though, that more details in the maps means they will update slower during use.
You can update the Connext maps in MY18/19? I was under the impression that Connext could not be updated and was considering loading the Navionics software on my phone. Then having that in the holder to the right of the 12" screen, but I'm curious which download from the Navionics site is compatible with the Connext system?

Unless I missed something or am looking in the wrong place, I wasn't seeing Yamaha/Connext in the compatibility list. Saw Medallion Viper II for the Vortex/Chap boats, but nothing that stood out to me as something for Connext.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can update the Connext maps in MY18/19? I was under the impression that Connext could not be updated and was considering loading the Navionics software on my phone. Then having that in the holder to the right of the 12" screen, but I'm curious which download from the Navionics site is compatible with the Connext system?

Unless I missed something or am looking in the wrong place, I wasn't seeing Yamaha/Connext in the compatibility list. Saw Medallion Viper II for the Vortex/Chap boats, but nothing that stood out to me as something for Connext.
When I updated mine, they did not have one in the compatibility list. I had to do a trial and error approach to update it. They have since added it. It is not under Connext or Yamaha, it is under ACTIA.

FLiPSyDe71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I updated mine, they did not have one in the compatibility list. I had to do a trial and error approach to update it. They have since added it. It is not under Connext or Yamaha, it is under ACTIA.
Can the update be done by myself or do I have to bring it to the dealer?

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can the update be done by myself or do I have to bring it to the dealer?
Yes, the updating of the mapping information at Navionics website can be done by yourself. If I remember correctly, the first time depending on the detail level is free. You will need to set up an account though. It's been at least two years since I went through this process. Someone please correct me, if I am wrong about anything.

FLiPSyDe71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I downloaded and installed the Chart Installer program and it recognized the micro SD card. It didn't however ask me to register or anything... it just stated that it already contains the entire coverage of Nautical Charts. I updated the Nautical Charts anyway because it was the only option I had since it stated the SonarCharts were not compatible with Actia. When it completed and I put the card back into my chart plotter, I was hoping that I would see the depth markers around the map like you see in preview of the Chart Installer program. If you look at the picture below, you can see what I'm talking about.... the top of the picture is a screenshot of the Chart installer... I zoomed into my area, and you can see detailed information about depths (arrows in red point to them). In the bottom of the picture is of my chart plotter and unfortunately, it doesn't have that information at all. Is that not included in the Nautical Charts?.... or is that information only available in the SoncaCharts?.... is it something I can purchase separately?

Attachments

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It looks like things have changed, since I last updated my charts. Unfortunately, that is about all I know for the charting. Your questions would be best to ask Navionics about.

Lmrowen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I downloaded and installed the Chart Installer program and it recognized the micro SD card. It didn't however ask me to register or anything... it just stated that it already contains the entire coverage of Nautical Charts. I updated the Nautical Charts anyway because it was the only option I had since it stated the SonarCharts were not compatible with Actia. When it completed and I put the card back into my chart plotter, I was hoping that I would see the depth markers around the map like you see in preview of the Chart Installer program. If you look at the picture below, you can see what I'm talking about.... the top of the picture is a screenshot of the Chart installer... I zoomed into my area, and you can see detailed information about depths (arrows in red point to them). In the bottom of the picture is of my chart plotter and unfortunately, it doesn't have that information at all. Is that not included in the Nautical Charts?.... or is that information only available in the SoncaCharts?.... is it something I can purchase separately?
Did you ever figure this out? I just bought a 2020 242XE and updated the SD on the Navionics website but the Connext screen detail is way short of what the card shows as detail on my laptop.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Did you ever figure this out? I just bought a 2020 242XE and updated the SD on the Navionics website but the Connext screen detail is way short of what the card shows as detail on my laptop.

That post shows the Connext Maps vs the online maps at the Navionics site for the same location. While the depth numbers are missing (sonar charts required for that), the contour lines are the same and the colours follow the website and contours fairly well. Stay away from the dark blue and you're in about 8 feet or more of water. All the navigational aids are clearly marked and as accurate as the website. For basic navigation, the Connext Maps is fine. If you're fishing you'll want a chartplotter with depth details.