• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 195S wear ring removal

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone replaced the wear ring on the newer style pumps yet? I haven't pulled mine yet (need better Pry bar... Damn new boats), but I'm certain wear ring and possibly impeller need replacing. Just looking for tips on wear ring removal. Freeze, beat out, and beat in?

Has anyone replaced the wear ring on the newer style pumps yet? I haven't pulled mine yet (need better Pry bar... Damn new boats), but I'm certain wear ring and possibly impeller need replacing. Just looking for tips on wear ring removal. Freeze, beat out, and beat in?

Attachments

• 20220316_183755.jpg
    20220316_183755.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Wow seems a little soon to replace? How many hours on it @Hoyt ?

Thank you. Any idea where said tool can be purchased?

Wow seems a little soon to replace? How many hours on it @Hoyt ?

34 hours. I sucked up a bunch of pebbles and small shells on a beach at end of season. Had real bad cavitation next couple times out. So I can only assume....

34 hours. I sucked up a bunch of pebbles and small shells on a beach at end of season. Had real bad cavitation next couple times out. So I can only assume....
Ah that makes sense. Was getting worried I would have to start replacing stuff every year and 1/2

Ah that makes sense. Was getting worried I would have to start replacing stuff every year and 1/2

Hahaha weeeelllll it is a yamaha...... Sooooooooo

be sure there is absolutely NOTHING IN THE PUMP or between any of the impeller blades or wrapped around the drive shaft even a piece of fishing line will cause cavitation

Hahaha weeeelllll it is a yamaha...... Sooooooooo
A major part of the reason we bought the Yamaha was for the well known reliability and performance of their engines and jetpumps. Aside from a few minor design-related issues, she's been worry-free and has only required regular maintenance.

So I got impeller and wear ring off the boat. However, sadly I see nothing wrong. Maybe these minor wear scratches are the problem. Anyone know? I see no dents or chunks missing from impeller either. Everything was clear coming out. I'm stumped. Boat cavitates bad at stop to plane. Way more then ever did before. Pics....
20220317_153117.jpg

20220317_153110.jpg

20220317_153055.jpg

So I got impeller and wear ring off the boat. However, sadly I see nothing wrong. Maybe these minor wear scratches are the problem. Anyone know? I see no dents or chunks missing from impeller either. Everything was clear coming out. I'm stumped. Boat cavitates bad at stop to plane. Way more then ever did before. Pics....
View attachment 173525

View attachment 173526

View attachment 173527
Leaky or poor seal on the clean out plug, or seals?

Leaky or poor seal on the clean out plug, or seals?

I don't think so. Not on a new boat. Wear ring makes sense from sucking up pebbles and shells though. We are talking bad cavitation, and extreme loss of power here. Like minutes to get on plane, and top speed loss of about 10mph

Last edited:
I don't think so. Not on a new boat. Wear ring makes sense from sucking up pebbles and shells though. We are talking bad cavitation, and extreme loss of power here. Like minutes to get on plane, and top speed loss of about 10mph
Ouch brother, thats a big difference. Ill follow your thread here to see what your final solution is. Guess ill be paying more attention to even short lived cavitation in the future.

Are you lubing the cleanout plug seals?

Check the intake for smooth flow - is any sealant loose or missing at the top and sides?

I don't think the minor scrapes in the wear ring are causing it, but I'm not experienced with this issue. It's possible the circular scrapes have worn the ring making the clearance larger, that plus turbulence is causing rough water flow which causes cavitation, but visually it doesn't seem deep enough. I could be wrong on that though.

Are you lubing the cleanout plug seals?

Check the intake for smooth flow - is any sealant loose or missing at the top and sides?

I don't think the minor scrapes in the wear ring are causing it, but I'm not experienced with this issue. It's possible the circular scrapes have worn the ring making the clearance larger, that plus turbulence is causing rough water flow which causes cavitation, but visually it doesn't seem deep enough. I could be wrong on that though.

Yes I use yamilube on my clean outs after every trip, and I leave them pulled out. Boat takes on zero water so I highly doubt it's them. We're talking pretty bad cavitation here that was not there before my sucking up shells and pebbles incident

gap between the edge of the impellers and the wear ring looks a bit wide and the wear ring is pretty bad so it could be doing what you are experiencing between the edges and the ring

Ouch brother, thats a big difference. Ill follow your thread here to see what your final solution is. Guess ill be paying more attention to even short lived cavitation in the future.

For sure. I'm also updating in my build thread with more pictures. I can't find any info online or videos so I'll take pics to at least help the next guy..... Hise news though.... I think I'll do the cone while I'm in here

gap between the edge of the impellers and the wear ring looks a bit wide and the wear ring is pretty bad so it could be doing what you are experiencing between the edges and the ring

That's what I'm thinking as well. Capt Leon says in his video for 18 and under boats that tolerance is 0.3mm. That's tight. I can see daylight through mine. Bad picture but it's all the way around like this
20220317_165456.jpg

Better shots here
20220317_170409.jpg

Back