• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 255 XD hull crack

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The local wave runner dealer service manager here says he deals with them all the time. So you must be a dealer…
Yes, dealers have to deal with new owners all the time doing stupid things to their boats. Running rocks, weeds and sand through their pumps that lead to cavitation. It's very obvious that these do not come from the factory with issues. Each and every one of them is run in water to ensure that.

Just a bit of common sense for one moment. Let's grab one engine/pump combination as an example. The 1.8ltr engine and pump combination has been used in 24' boats since 2010, and in certain 25' boats for the past couple model years and a select number of 21' models, as well as in all 190 series models. Literally thousands of boats since 2010 with minimal design change. Don't you suppose that if they were coming from the factory cavitating "all the time" that there would have been some modifications made by Yamaha. Or the third party companies would have performance mods all over the internet?

But yet, there are very few. Very few impeller MFG's even offer an upgrade, only a couple. (usually for altitude) And very few engine mods either. And this does not even take into consideration how many thousands of waverunners use this 1.8ltr engine, and how many more Yamaha boats run the SVHO version of it. But yet, no Technical service bulletins from Yamaha, no recalls from Yamaha, and no flood of threads on this forum or facebook groups. As if the majority says there is no problem.

Heck, back in the late 90's early 2000's, Yamaha produced the fasted PWC's on the market in the GP1200, GP1200r and GP1300r. I happened to have owned at least one if not two of all three models. They were notorious for potential cavitation. But Yamaha never released a TSB or recall. They knew there were tons of mods we could do to get even more hp out of them, and you could over drive the pump. The third party filled that void with pump seal kits, intake grates, impellers and even more engine mods. We all had a blast with a monster of a machine, but yet the guys who kept them stock, enjoyed them with minimal issues. We don't even see that with these boats, as there are minimal engine mods out there that allow us to overdrive the pumps. The closest to it are the ribbon deletes and lucky 13 cones.

But better yet, a good percentage of the threads started about cavitation usually end up with a fresh boater finding out they have a dinged impeller, or gouged wear ring. Or their pump is full of seagrass that they could not see until they got it on the trailer. And many times do not reply back, as they feel foolish to find out, it was not an MFG error, but rather user error.

I'm not saying the OP doesn't have a boat that possibly came from the factory cavitating. What I am saying is, don't make this thread sound like it is the norm. As it is far from the norm. And any dealer saying it is the norm is a moron. Especially if he has new models on the showroom floor that they are looking to sell. As that would be the last thing they would say.

Just a quick dose of common sense, as there is no need to argue. It's just an opinion (based on fact) And as bad as this case is, a half dozen owners is not a majority.

Last edited:

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Here is my ‘21 255XD... I have no words. The boat is less than a month old and has 15 hours. I discovered this crack in the hull yesterday, it looks like a structural rigidity problem. This is on the Port side, on swim platform. I have other multiple defects, but in my opinion this is very serious. For a crack to just appear like this! I want to hear everyone’s thoughts. I already notified the dealer and they opened a claim up, what would you guys do? It doesn’t seem like such an easy fix being a structural issue. Thanks
I have the same boat and the same crack in the same location. I will take it to the dealership after this season ends

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the same boat and the same crack in the same location. I will take it to the dealership after this season ends
This is very important on a fairly new hull design that anyone that does experience, please report it to the dealer at least. If there is a defect, it needs to be documented to help the masses in the future.

Mikenkayla

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, dealers have to deal with new owners all the time doing stupid things to their boats. Running rocks, weeds and sand through their pumps that lead to cavitation. It's very obvious that these do not come from the factory with issues. Each and every one of them is run in water to ensure that.

Just a bit of common sense for one moment. Let's grab one engine/pump combination as an example. The 1.8ltr engine and pump combination has been used in 24' boats since 2010, and in certain 25' boats for the past couple model years and a select number of 21' models, as well as in all 190 series models. Literally thousands of boats since 2010 with minimal design change. Don't you suppose that if they were coming from the factory cavitating "all the time" that there would have been some modifications made by Yamaha. Or the third party companies would have performance mods all over the internet?

But yet, there are very few. Very few impeller MFG's even offer an upgrade, only a couple. (usually for altitude) And very few engine mods either. And this does not even take into consideration how many thousands of waverunners use this 1.8ltr engine, and how many more Yamaha boats run the SVHO version of it. But yet, no Technical service bulletins from Yamaha, no recalls from Yamaha, and no flood of threads on this forum or facebook groups. As if the majority says there is no problem.

Heck, back in the late 90's early 2000's, Yamaha produced the fasted PWC's on the market in the GP1200, GP1200r and GP1300r. I happened to have owned at least one if not two of all three models. They were notorious for potential cavitation. But Yamaha never released a TSB or recall. They knew there were tons of mods we could do to get even more hp out of them, and you could over drive the pump. The third party filled that void with pump seal kits, intake grates, impellers and even more engine mods. We all had a blast with a monster of a machine, but yet the guys who kept them stock, enjoyed them with minimal issues. We don't even see that with these boats, as there are minimal engine mods out there that allow us to overdrive the pumps. The closest to it are the ribbon deletes and lucky 13 cones.

But better yet, a good percentage of the threads started about cavitation usually end up with a fresh boater finding out they have a dinged impeller, or gouged wear ring. Or their pump is full of seagrass that they could not see until they got it on the trailer. And many times do not reply back, as they feel foolish to find out, it was not an MFG error, but rather user error.

I'm not saying the OP doesn't have a boat that possibly came from the factory cavitating. What I am saying is, don't make this thread sound like it is the norm. As it is far from the norm. And any dealer saying it is the norm is a moron. Especially if he has new models on the showroom floor that they are looking to sell. As that would be the last thing they would say.

Just a quick dose of common sense, as there is no need to argue. It's just an opinion (based on fact) And as bad as this case is, a half dozen owners is not a majority.
We are not new to jet boats. Had a Yamaha 242 X that was severely underpowered. Would not even get on plane with a 130 lb wakeboarder if there were more than 5 people in the boat. We sold it hoping this boat would be better. Our dealer even admitted to not taking the boat out to test it.

Dealer in Kalispell Montana, not who we bought from, had a rep present when we called. The rep has the same 255 XD and told us that you cannot throw the throttles forward like we could on our Seadoo, or the boat will cavitate. That alone shows that it is a design flaw. Most everyone these days surfs. The boat surfs great, but will not get up on plane. Impellers are not damaged. There is no seaweed in the clean outs or in the impellers.

We are not new jet boat owners, have owned them for 20 years.

They absolutely recommend after market impellers on this boat if you want it to get out of the hole at any speed above a snails pace.

The rep told us to only use slow acceleration.

That means a design flaw, along with the poor sealant causing a ventilation issue, which is why the local wave runner service manager told us he deals with all the time with right out of the box Yamahas.

Nice try to deter others. Come listen to this piece of crap and tell me the brand new thing is running correctly, or that the literal first time we had it one the water, after proper break in time that it wouldn’t get on plane and that it is user error.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice try to deter others. Come listen to this piece of crap and tell me the brand new thing is running correctly, or that the literal first time we had it one the water, after proper break in time that it wouldn’t get on plane and that it is user error.
I think the best part about this thread is you think I am arguing the point that you have had two f-d up boats. And I’m not. Yup, they are screwed up and you should get them fixed, or at least the one under warranty that you still have.

The other great part is you are still believing your moronic dealer into thinking this is the norm, and all the other thousands of these are the unicorns. Way too damn funny. You don’t have to argue with me, a 6 time yamaha jet owner. You can start a debate with the many others on here that are just sitting back and eating popcorn. Not to mention the thousands of others that never even join forums like this, as they have had zero issues and have never had the need to research cavitation. They just put fuel in and enjoyed their boat.

BTW, your post count is starting to count against you. Because if you had owned a 242x with issues prior, you probably would have logged into this forum or the other board and asked experienced owners if they too had this issue. Now I am just starting to get this whiff of troll.

Mikenkayla

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is very important on a fairly new hull design that anyone that does experience, please report it to the dealer at least. If there is a defect, it needs to be documented to help the masses in the future.
The 242 had zero issues except it had zero power. Which is why Yamaha put the 250 hp in the 255.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 242 had zero issues except it had zero power. Which is why Yamaha put the 250 hp in the 255.
And also the 250/252 models with a pair of NA 1.8’s in a much heavier hull than our 242 models. Hmm. Should i have taken mine into the dealer as it will only top out at 50+ on GPS, or that it will only do like 45 with a full load of folks?

You have really had poor luck. I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with your two boats.

Last edited:

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Zero power compared to what, exactly? My 242 accelerates out of the hole faster than any prop boat I’ve ever been on. Top speed, I’d agree with you, but I don’t need more than the 46mph I achieve currently. If you are using the boat strictly for surfing with insane ballast loads, perhaps you have a point, but you should have known going in that jet boats are a series of compromises that add up to great all around boat for relatively inexpensive prices.

Mikenkayla

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And the 242 will go fast! But you won’t get there fast! lol. You must just drive them for funsies. Not actually doing water sports.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My 252 with 8 people in the gulf will accelerate just fine under full throttle. It will get up to 45mph in a few seconds. Either you have really bad luck, a weird circumstance, or just don’t know how to drive lol.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The local wave runner dealer service manager here says he deals with them all the time. So you must be a dealer…
We are not new to jet boats. Had a Yamaha 242 X that was severely underpowered. Would not even get on plane with a 130 lb wakeboarder if there were more than 5 people in the boat. We sold it hoping this boat would be better. Our dealer even admitted to not taking the boat out to test it.

Dealer in Kalispell Montana, not who we bought from, had a rep present when we called. The rep has the same 255 XD and told us that you cannot throw the throttles forward like we could on our Seadoo, or the boat will cavitate. That alone shows that it is a design flaw. Most everyone these days surfs. The boat surfs great, but will not get up on plane. Impellers are not damaged. There is no seaweed in the clean outs or in the impellers.

We are not new jet boat owners, have owned them for 20 years.

They absolutely recommend after market impellers on this boat if you want it to get out of the hole at any speed above a snails pace.

The rep told us to only use slow acceleration.

That means a design flaw, along with the poor sealant causing a ventilation issue, which is why the local wave runner service manager told us he deals with all the time with right out of the box Yamahas.

Sounds like elevation issue. Kalispell MT is at 3,000' assuming it's an area around/close where you boat?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like elevation issue. Kalispell MT is at 3,000' assuming it's an area around/close where you boat?
That's actually a very valid point. My other fuel injected Yamaha's will adjust air/fuel mixture at altitude, but will be down on HP for sure.