• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 255 XD hull crack

MOwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’ll second the lack of quality control. My new 195s filled up with water the first time out and I figured out it was because they drilled one of the drain plug holes too low. It was letting water in on the bottom of the boat. I chose to fix it myself rather than be without the boat during the claim process and risk them leaving it outside uncovered. I built the bottom area back up with epoxy and stuck the drain assembly back in with some 3M 4200. So far no leaks but it should not have left the factory like that.

Attachments

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’ll second the lack of quality control. My new 195s filled up with water the first time out and I figured out it was because they drilled one of the drain plug holes too low. It was letting water in on the bottom of the boat. I chose to fix it myself rather than be without the boat during the claim process and risk them leaving it outside uncovered. I built the bottom area back up with epoxy and stuck the drain assembly back in with some 3M 4200. So far no leaks but it should not have left the factory like that.
Wtf....wow

Mikenkayla

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Our 2022 came from the factory with the same cracks in the same location, both sides. Dealer fixed them and they looked like crap and we made them fix them again. First time on the water we can’t even get the boat on plane due to cavitation in the pumps. It will surf but will not perform to wakeboard or even let the kids tube. We think the dealer stressed it and cracked it and caused internal issues. Taking it to get it looked at this week after the first Yamaha rep told us it was normal to have cavitation issues if you throw the throttles forward 🙄. Boat won’t get on plane…

Attachments

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
i personally have never had anything yamaha that didnt cavitate if you hammer the throttles. its their piss poor impeller design. as soon as i switch all my impellers to solas concords everything is rock solid.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
200+ hours in, I am starting to get spider cracks in the same area. Come January she will probably in the shop for a while for warranty repairs I can't do.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i personally have never had anything yamaha that didnt cavitate if you hammer the throttles. its their piss poor impeller design. as soon as i switch all my impellers to solas concords everything is rock solid.
I can hammer down my MR1s without issue. Stock everything.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length

Actually i am lying now that i think about it. I did have a older fx waverunner with an mr1 that didnt cavitate when i hit it. My 08 232 with mr1 did though. Not as bad as the svho’s with 160mm pump but still did. Yamahas design just wont hold the power.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Same with my 1.8s. My 1.8 SVHO will cavitate but that's because the impeller is damaged lol, before the damage it never did.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 2020 212 doesn't cavitate, I can hammer the throttles at a dead stop and it jumps out of the water. I had a Ar190 and it would cavitate from time to time.

Mikenkayla

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback, we will see what they fix and probably swap the impellers

Mikenkayla

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Same with my 1.8s. My 1.8 SVHO will cavitate but that's because the impeller is damaged lol, before the damage it never did.
We think it’s damaged from the dealer

Mikenkayla

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Actually i am lying now that i think about it. I did have a older fx waverunner with an mr1 that didnt cavitate when i hit it. My 08 232 with mr1 did though. Not as bad as the svho’s with 160mm pump but still did. Yamahas design just wont hold the power.
What’s the purpose of 500 hp if you can’t use it! Scarab has a 600 hp with the Rotax which is what our Seadoo boat had, we are going to lemon this thing if they can’t fix it and go to a Scarab.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Better hope your state has lemon laws on boats. I don't know of any that do.

Cavitation is a relatively easy fix. It's either not sealed well down there, damaged impeller/wear ring... or wrong gap at wear ring.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What’s the purpose of 500 hp if you can’t use it! Scarab has a 600 hp with the Rotax which is what our Seadoo boat had, we are going to lemon this thing if they can’t fix it and go to a Scarab.
Because there are zero complaints on a Scarab?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
You can use all the hp but you have to gradually increase throttle. You cant hammer it out of the hole. Bring it up to 6k fairly quick then once you are just about 3/4 of the way on plane then you can mash it. You need some water flowing into the pumps first. Pumps on my boat and my ski are totally sealed and the tunnels smoothed out. That all did make a difference but only a little. Its not until you change the impeller when it will
All go away. My one ski is aprox 450hp and the solas still holds that with no cav.

Mikenkayla

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can use all the hp but you have to gradually increase throttle. You cant hammer it out of the hole. Bring it up to 6k fairly quick then once you are just about 3/4 of the way on plane then you can mash it. You need some water flowing into the pumps first. Pumps on my boat and my ski are totally sealed and the tunnels smoothed out. That all did make a difference but only a little. Its not until you change the impeller when it will
All go away. My one ski is aprox 450hp and the solas still holds that with no cav.
Even a gradual increase won’t get it out of the water on plane. It cavitates and we back it off and ease it up. It literally won’t run, no matter what we do.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Well in that case yes you have something else going on there

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those searching threads about cavitation on Yamaha boats and Waverunners and finding this thread, this is not a representative example of cavitation issues with these watercraft.

Without counting, there are 6 folks on this thread saying they are having cavitation issues and Yamaha has issues across the board. While thousands are out there with boats and waverunners that only cavitate by the most common reasons. (weight, weeds, or they messed up their impeller or wear ring)

So don't let this thread give anyone the impression that this is an industry wide problem for Yamaha, as it is not the case. Most of Yamaha owners do not have cavitation issues and are very happy with the stock impellers and pumps. Thus the reason there are very few third party options talked about on this forum and others, and the vast majority do not touch them. In fact, I would bet many will agree that the stock configuration is the best balance of performance for the capacities given to each model.

Mikenkayla

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For those searching threads about cavitation on Yamaha boats and Waverunners and finding this thread, this is not a representative example of cavitation issues with these watercraft.

Without counting, there are 6 folks on this thread saying they are having cavitation issues and Yamaha has issues across the board. While thousands are out there with boats and waverunners that only cavitate by the most common reasons. (weight, weeds, or they messed up their impeller or wear ring)

So don't let this thread give anyone the impression that this is an industry wide problem for Yamaha, as it is not the case. Most of Yamaha owners do not have cavitation issues and are very happy with the stock impellers and pumps. Thus the reason there are very few third party options talked about on this forum and others, and the vast majority do not touch them. In fact, I would bet many will agree that the stock configuration is the best balance of performance for the capacities given to each model.
The local wave runner dealer service manager here says he deals with them all the time. So you must be a dealer…