• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 255 XD hull crack

robo_ciu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Here is my ‘21 255XD... I have no words. The boat is less than a month old and has 15 hours. I discovered this crack in the hull yesterday, it looks like a structural rigidity problem. This is on the Port side, on swim platform. I have other multiple defects, but in my opinion this is very serious. For a crack to just appear like this! I want to hear everyone’s thoughts. I already notified the dealer and they opened a claim up, what would you guys do? It doesn’t seem like such an easy fix being a structural issue. Thanks

Attachments

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would wager a guess that when laying glass in the hull, they didn’t get that section pressed in to the mold enough. Likely a far simpler fix (grind it, glass it, gel it) than it appears - fingers crossed. Love that color.

robo_ciu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thank you! The color scheme is awesome. Haven’t seen one out there besides mine... It just sucks that they really skimped out on quality control this year.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I wonder if the built-in wake booster caused the swim platform to flex up, and out? You would think that Yamaha would have tested these enough to have reinforced the swim area properly.

robo_ciu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Not sure, but I haven’t even used the wakebooster yet.

robo_ciu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It seems to be pretty deep. Its a little scary to think they will just crack like that, and crack in other places more vulnerable

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is my ‘21 255XD... I have no words. The boat is less than a month old and has 15 hours. I discovered this crack in the hull yesterday, it looks like a structural rigidity problem. This is on the Port side, on swim platform. I have other multiple defects, but in my opinion this is very serious. For a crack to just appear like this! I want to hear everyone’s thoughts. I already notified the dealer and they opened a claim up, what would you guys do? It doesn’t seem like such an easy fix being a structural issue. Thanks
OMG!

1627602389382.png

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Wow! Yamaha sure isn't doing themselves any favors during this Covid era. With all these issues as of late, they are earning the reputation of "piece of shit boat" lately. No way in fawking hell I'd buy a new Yamaha during these times. That crack is completely unacceptable. I hope you get that fixed under warranty. Holy shit.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Wow! Yamaha sure isn't doing themselves any favors during this Covid era. With all these issues as of late, they are earning the reputation of "piece of shit boat" lately. No way in fawking hell I'd buy a new Yamaha during these times. That crack is completely unacceptable. I hope you get that fixed under warranty. Holy shit.
Whoops…

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
In a radius like that is where you are going to have flex. It does look deep but that is prob why it cracked. I think when thats grinded down for repair you are going to find that the gelcoat was applied too thick. Gel is hard and brittle it wont flex and if its too thick then it will crack. Now if they find that crack goes into the glass then they will need to reinforce that area a bit to make it stronger. Either way its not a big deal and these things happen

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Most likely this is just gelcoat and the structure is not affected. Easy repair for a pro.

If you look hard enough, you'll find that any gelcoat boat has spider cracks somewhere.

Dealer will make it right, these minor issues are normal with new boat ownership.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The best part about a simple gelcote fix, is you won't have to wait on any parts from Yamaha. The dealer should be authorized to allow a local repair shop do the gelcote work and it will look good as new. This is not as horrible as some are making it, as you can't see past the gelcote.

Not that I don't empathize with this situation, but this is one boat in thousands, so I wouldn't chalk up that horrible quality control yet.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had spider cracking in my then 5 month old 242 Limited S in 2018. I had to approve the repair on my own dime, and if they could find an air void in the fiberglass, they would cover the repair. Thankfully they did, but i was definitely not happy it had to go that way on a brand new boat. Good thing it's an easy repair just like they said. Only you will ever know it was damaged once repaired.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I guess I'm the guy who takes things a little too far sometimes, but me personally would be, you can have your boat back. Yamaha quality has been absolute shit the last 12-18 months and to have a $95,000 boat have a crack like this at 15 hours? What other parts of hull were not laid, cured or done correctly. That would be on my mind all the time.

All manufacturers have quality issues, but this unacceptable. I would want a new boat.

I was looking a new 252 SE in early spring, (January) local dealer had 2 of them, both color options. Almost pulled the trigger, but thought, man ,mines paid off, do I really want to have a payment again. So decided not to get it, to me it was a blessing in disguise as all the quality issues on the new boats. Mines a 2015, has not been back to dealer other than initial 10 hour service, do all my own maintenance since then, boat is super reliable, runs great, absolutely no issues.

I would be sick to my stomach to have traded it in, and then have issues with a new one.

Good luck on your repair or whatever route you chose.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have about 12 hours on my boat and there are spider cracks at the stern tow bar. Dealer said Yamaha does not consider spider cracks a defect and will not authorize repairs for spider cracks. I have not towed anything yet. I will be addressing this with Yamaha as a safety issue. To be continued.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
there are threads on here where people are complaining about how yamaha is cheaping out and putting piss thin gelcoat on the boats. thin is what you want. the thinner it is the more it will flex. you have areas like this in the op pics and it gets too thick and the cracks happen. all grp boats will flex. doesnt matter how expensive the boat is. the company i am a sub for builds boats up to about 10 million. those boats come back in 6 mos and they will have cracks that need fixing. its part of boat ownership and just the way it is. now how the boat company handles it is another situation. if the company is good and its clear there isnt some damage from hitting something etc, then the mfg should cover it without issue. if they piss and moan or deny to fix it then thats just piss poor business.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a gel crack when they spray a vertical surface next to a horizonal surface it tends to get too thick. At lease its in an area you can check for structure stress..............pull the cup holder and check the back side of the glass for cracks.

Last edited:

Jakob Grimm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Had the same appear in my 275SE around the helm. Similar to this one…not deep but annoying. Dealer didn’t have a location big enough to fix it over last winter so decided to tackle it myself.