• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 275SD engine died - thoughts?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
mrcleanr6 said:

The pump in my boat is the 160mm pump. Same one as my 2016 fzs. Really those pimps have been bulletproof. I am throwing about 450hp to the one in my ski too which is very common for anyone doing performance mods to their waverunners. There are many guys running even higher and never an issue with the pump or shafths

Hate it when that happens

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
And lettering size if you know it. Please ...if you don’t mind.
There are some basic requirements for the license numbers in Canada:

After you receive your Pleasure Craft Licence, you must use it as follows:
  • Carry the Pleasure Craft Licence on board the vessel at all times.
  • Display the number on both sides of your boat's bow. The number must appear in block characters which are:
    • at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high
    • in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow

It was an easy choice for us with a black hull - white block numbers for visibility.
:D
Also make sure you have a copy of the registration or bill of sale with your license on board. You probably won't be asked for it, but you're required to have it available. We have copies of the license, registration, ID, and PCOC cards in a zip lock bag in the glovebox. Any time we were asked to produce, they saw us pull out the zip lock bag and said, "that's perfect, thanks" and never inspected it. They could see it was organized and everything appeared to be there. Most of the time they're just checking for compliance and can tell right away if everything is good.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I agree. This pump and shaft is very similar across the models. If that shaft had an ongoing construction flaw, we would have seen lots of boats with broken shafts. We have not. This was a freak bad shaft.....yes that sucks....and Yamaha should stand behind that.
I agree, that sounds right. I think we'd see more posts of issues with all models of boats and skis with SVHO engines.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
All good advice. Thanks. Ya I’m gonna be loaded with paperwork. I have all my paper charts too. In a water sealed nautical chart bag. But I want my numbers to be subdued. My dealer likes 5”. Told me 3” was for jet skis. I like your proportion. I’d go with the minimum ... personally. Do you know how tall the lettering is actually. It looks good. My picture makes it look light Grey Or even silver. But white will work

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
In bgn’s pictures those letters appear to be chrome bubble letters. Could be wrong its hard to tell. 5” is crazy for your #s. I believe 3” is regulation. Basically same thing here in the US as what 212 said about canada. When i do a painted name on big sportfish boats like a 65 viking for instance, even regulation size for the hailing port on that is only 4” and even that looks big most of the time. I try and do those 3.5-3.25” since that looks more proportional. I couldnt imagine 5” on a small boat. $hit its not a billboard. Your dealer is a little wonky if you ask me lol.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
In bgn’s pictures those letters appear to be chrome bubble letters. Could be wrong its hard to tell. 5” is crazy for your #s. I believe 3” is regulation. Basically same thing here in the US as what 212 said about canada. When i do a painted name on big sportfish boats like a 65 viking for instance, even regulation size for the hailing port on that is only 4” and even that looks big most of the time. I try and do those 3.5-3.25” since that looks more proportional. I couldnt imagine 5” on a small boat. $hit its not a billboard. Your dealer is a little wonky if you ask me lol.
I agree. i Like the proportion to the Yamaha logo i Think. Maybe that’s what I’ll tell them. Measure the Yamaha logo and match the size up to 3 inches. If the Feds want to se my license number.... they can come as close as they need to.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Match the logo starting at 3” as regulated is what I meant.

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
This boat is a piece of shit. I just got it back from a reputable dealer who fixed the broken drive shaft. Same thing happened. Then other engine went down to 2000 rpm max. Made the boat uncontrollable. I crashed into a bunch of stuff, limped into some random private marina and crashed into the dock. Waiting for sea tow. What a piece of junk.

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
And to make it worse when I tried to anchor the anchor went “goodbye”76CC29B1-340D-4532-A484-8672596035F7.jpeg

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
So the other drive shaft broke also? The new ine that the dealer just fixed?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This boat is a piece of shit. I just got it back from a reputable dealer who fixed the broken drive shaft. Same thing happened. Then other engine went down to 2000 rpm max. Made the boat uncontrollable. I crashed into a bunch of stuff, limped into some random private marina and crashed into the dock. Waiting for sea tow. What a piece of junk.
Sounds to me like a shaft alignment issue. Under high torque and with a misaligned shaft (could be caused by many things) it has nowhere to go but snap. I would have Yamaha check the alignment of the shaft to the pump housing and make sure it meets specs.

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
No idea what happened will tell everyone.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
If it broke again then It has to be something like ghost said. There is just no way it can be 2 faulty shafts. The dealer must have ended up fixing the symptom without correcting the actual cause. There is just nothing else i could think of.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If it broke again then It has to be something like ghost said. There is just no way it can be 2 faulty shafts. The dealer must have ended up fixing the symptom without correcting the actual cause. There is just nothing else i could think of.
Yamaha suppose to send some engineer to look at the root cause of the problem but TS don't want to wait (I dont blame him) and opted to get it fixed out of pocket so he can enjoy his boat. Dealer can only install but not change any engineering aspect or make any adjustment not in yamaha specs. I would assume this will be a recall with major changes be it alignment of shaft or thicker shaft that would withstand the torque.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds to me like a shaft alignment issue. Under high torque and with a misaligned shaft (could be caused by many things) it has nowhere to go but snap. I would have Yamaha check the alignment of the shaft to the pump housing and make sure it meets specs.
Those shafts/splines fit very tightly, usually, at least in N/A 1.8s, I can not imagine you could fit the shaft (protruding from the stator segment of the pump) into the coupler while misaligned, the fit is so tight. Even too much grease will cause an issue to fit it it. But... you are probably right, what else could it be???

Very strange.

--