• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha boats - Showing up at dealerships...

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@jetboatjay Thank you!! Glad to know I’m not alone; however, no I’m wondering if this is just something I will have to deal with. That would suck. You got me thinking it’s probably not my truck but the new trailer. I may have to buy one of those in the link you provided. Thanks again!

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, now I can tell my wife that others are experiencing the same thing we are....just reading this post and am frustrated with the Shorelandr trailer as well. Couple things I have found:

While the Shorelandr trailer comes with a 7 pin connection, there are only 4 blades in the connection. If you look at the 7 pin connection from the trailer, only 4 slots have metal in them. (I should have inserted a picture here, sorry.) Because of this, I am now questioning if there is even a brake solenoid in the trailer? Without a 5th blade connection, there is no power hook up for the brake solenoid to pull from. Can anyone confirm the new trailers have a brake solenoid?
Are you forgetting about the center pin? Mine has 4 plus the center pin = 5 connections

My trailer came with the 7 pin connector, when I got home the first time and backed into my driveway, wheels were locked up. After using the manual lockout to get it in, I pulled out my trusty volt meter and a 12v power supply to test.

Tested my trucks connection in reverse, had 12+ volts (tested pin 7 and pin 1)

Pulled out the wiring from the swing portion of the trailer, found the appropriate wires and found 12 volts again.

Put 12volts across the trailer connection pin 7 and pin 1, could hear the backup lockout solenoid engaging.

Was perplexed, hooked everything up again, and it was working. The lockout has worked ever since, so not sure what happened on the first day to cause the issue and the black drag marks from the trailer in the street...

7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-1.png

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@jetboatjay Thank you!! Glad to know I’m not alone; however, no I’m wondering if this is just something I will have to deal with. That would suck. You got me thinking it’s probably not my truck but the new trailer. I may have to buy one of those in the link you provided. Thanks again!
got me one! now I'm all new to this. Forgive me for my ignorance, am i just putting this thing in when im just backing up the trailer? is there a fix? I didn't notice the trailer locking up day 1, day 2 i could def feel it hard to go backwards.

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
2021 boats of every manufacturer are showing up everywhere and yet dealerships are creating a false shortage narrative to take advantage of their customers, SMH.

We got about 5 or 6 weeks of warm weather left here in the north east, I'm half tempted to sell my boat for a huge profit and go order a different make of boat that I'm thinking of buying.
Thats a great idea. I wish I would of held off a few months to sell my boat. I sold right before the pandenic hit. Who knew...

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Are you forgetting about the center pin? Mine has 4 plus the center pin = 5 connections

My trailer came with the 7 pin connector, when I got home the first time and backed into my driveway, wheels were locked up. After using the manual lockout to get it in, I pulled out my trusty volt meter and a 12v power supply to test.

Pulled out the wiring from the swing portion of the trailer, found the appropriate wires and found 12 volts again.

Put 12volts across the trailer connection pin 7 and pin 1, could hear the backup lockout solenoid engaging.

Was perplexed, hooked everything up again, and it was working. The lockout has worked ever since, so not sure what happened on the first day to cause the issue and the black drag marks from the trailer in the street...

View attachment 131579
Yes, I am forgetting the pin, good catch. BUT, the new trailer from Shorelandr has a blade on #4, #3, #5, and #2....and as you point out #7. So I guess that is the 5 pin everyone else is talking about.

I will try to volt meter again this afternoon on the truck and trailer and see if I can figure out how to backup a boat trailer? (I feel like such a rookie!)

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That image is of the truck side connections, it would be mirrored on the trailer side. here is an image of both sides. If your pinout is what you have, this could be your issue.
cc5c54a6cdda9b0ae8ea9b78109c9088.png

Some trailers come with a 5 way, flat connector and others come with the 7 way round. I was told 5 flat, bought a 7 to 5 adapter, showed up and the trailer had the 7 way.

To lockout the surge brakes, manufactures use the backup lights to activate a solenoid that locks it out. That is why you get either a 5 way or a 7 way.

Attachments

Last edited:

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
got me one! now I'm all new to this. Forgive me for my ignorance, am i just putting this thing in when im just backing up the trailer? is there a fix? I didn't notice the trailer locking up day 1, day 2 i could def feel it hard to go backwards.
While connected to your vehicle and putting it into reverse, the surge brakes "should" be disabled. If they are not disabled, you would need to troubleshoot why. If you unplug at the ramp (which most people do), you will need to manually override it with the lockout device (or if it isn't working properly).

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never have a problem going up hill or down hill backing up while the trailer is connected to vehicle, since the surge breaks are disabled. Not sure why this would be happening to you.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

View attachment 131579
Yeah, I also have some black marks to confirm the brakes were locking, plus the wife and kids easily could confirm it as well. I’ve never pulled the plug when on the ramp and never had a problem. I’d rather not pull the plug or we lose the benefit of the lighted guides poles, recommended by @HangOutdoors, I am about to install tonight. I will be checking pin 7 with my meter as well.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it helps I have the round 7 pin connector on my expedition and a round 7 pin on the trailer harness.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ryno I like the colors alot.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Beautiful boat! Congratulations and enjoy

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Picked mine up at Specialty Rec and Marine in CDA Idaho yesterday! - some guy was trying to buy it while they were going through it with me in the parking lot lol!
Looks great! Enjoy your new boat!!!

Ryno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks guys! 6.5 hrs on her today and she was still purring like a kitten when I put her up. Another 3 tomorrow, and time to do my first oil change!

anuddereng

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Can someone point me to a picture of the trailer connector on the 2021 SX190 painted trailer or post a picture of it? I have a 4 flat on the truck and will need to convert before our boat (that is on order) arrives. If anyone can recommend a harness for a 2014 F150, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Can someone point me to a picture of the trailer connector on the 2021 SX190 painted trailer or post a picture of it? I have a 4 flat on the truck and will need to convert before our boat (that is on order) arrives. If anyone can recommend a harness for a 2014 F150, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
My 195S with a shorelander galv trailer came with a standard round 7 pin if that helps.

Hurly23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Regarding the trailer issues. My dealer told me there is no electric trailer brakes on my 252SE boat trailer. They are hydraulic pressure activated. Basically as you slow down and the trailer pushes towards your vehicle the brakes are compressed with the hydraulic pressure of the push. Thats why there is the lockout D pin thing, to prevent the brakes from being compressed by pushing towards the vehicle.