• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212SE Shorelandr Boat Trailer

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
It seems to be that almost all the 21's are shipped tongue heavy from the factory and too far forward. Not sure about the others.
I may even move it back further. Tomorrow I'll check the weight. I drove over to storage today and check it, but I forgot my floor jack handle. šŸ˜¬

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It seems to be that almost all the 21's are shipped tongue heavy from the factory and too far forward. Not sure about the others.
A lot, if not all 24s were too

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess what annoys me is that the average person is not going to have a tongue scale and the dealers allow this to happen. They know damn well that they should double check the trailer as part of set up. They could also estimate and average of 300 lbs or so additional cargo weight, depending on model for additional weight and set up the trailers nicely for the customer. It doesn't appear that this much if not at all.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I guess what annoys me is that the average person is not going to have a tongue scale and the dealers allow this to happen. They know damn well that they should double check the trailer as part of set up. They could also estimate and average of 300 lbs or so additional cargo weight, depending on model for additional weight and set up the trailers nicely for the customer. It doesn't appear that this much if not at all.
I just read an article that said Yamaha dealers are INDEED responsible for making sure the trailer is set up correctly before delivery. I.E. The $3K prep fee.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not weighed my boat and trailer. I need to take it down to a scale and get that done. The boat specs I have found say the AR240 dry weight with painted swing away tongue trailer is 5,224 lbs. 50 gallons of gas= 315 lbs. Other gear, maybe 200lbs? So if I am at give or take 5,750lbs on a dual axle trailer my tongue weight should be in the 350lb range. 6%. I weighed my tongue with a digital bathroom scale a couple weeks ago and it came in at 469lbs. I'm definitely going to move things back a little and see if I can reduce that weight some. It tows great, but that just seems like too much.

Of course those same specs say my boat should be 111" high on the trailer with the tower folded and it's only 91" at the windshield, so I would question the weight specs also.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just read an article that said Yamaha dealers are INDEED responsible for making sure the trailer is set up correctly before delivery. I.E. The $3K prep fee.
Could you link that information so that others have that when they go get their boats?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have not weighed my boat and trailer. I need to take it down to a scale and get that done. The boat specs I have found say the AR240 dry weight with painted swing away tongue trailer is 5,224 lbs. 50 gallons of gas= 315 lbs. Other gear, maybe 200lbs? So if I am at give or take 5,750lbs on a dual axle trailer my tongue weight should be in the 350lb range. 6%. I weighed my tongue with a digital bathroom scale a couple weeks ago and it came in at 469lbs. I'm definitely going to move things back a little and see if I can reduce that weight some. It tows great, but that just seems like too much.

Of course those same specs say my boat should be 111" high on the trailer with the tower folded and it's only 91" at the windshield, so I would question the weight specs also.
Don't forget the weight of the batteries too. I think I made the mistake of checking the weight at the jack. I ended up well over 600 lbs. My dry weight is 4700, with gas a and gear I'm probably around 5200. Just a guestimate. My rig is rated at 5600 and 600 tongue weight. So I'm pushing the limits of my towing capabilities.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Checked the tongue weight today and itā€™s 400 lbs, so thatā€™s between 7-8% depending on the loaded weight. Most of my stuff was on board, 3/4 tank, both batteries etc. Dry weight on the trailer is 4600 lbs. I figure 5100 lbs loaded max. So Iā€™m under 8%, and my bunks are flush. I can always move it back an inch if needed. Also, I have a custom semi-v stoltz roller (RP-446) coming that has been cut down to fit my bracket and will be allowed to actually roll. (3.5ā€). I will also adjust the angle of the winch, the strap is pulling down instead of straight. If need be, Iā€™ll get a new winch if thats what it takes to get it right. I am at peace now with my damn trailer. Thanks to all for the help.

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Could you link that information so that others have that when they go get their boats?
Did you find this info? My weight safe hitch is showing 600lbs fully loaded on my AR250 so adjustments are needed. I donā€™t think just moving the post will distribute enough weight. I will need to take it into the dealer.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is your total boat weight loaded with gear and full tank and trailer? Then do the math. I believe sliding the winch post equals 30 - 40 lbs per inch on average or something like that. It is early and I can't seem to find that info. I know on the 21' footers if the bunks are not messed up, you can slide the post back and let the boat hang a few inches off the bunks and the tongue weight should be decent. Depending on how you load your boat. On the 25' footers, someone with one could chime in.

Anything drastic beyond that requires moving the axles, which I have not done but others on here have.

If you do take it to the dealer, tell them the tongue weight you are looking for it to be., If they bitch about doing it, let them know it should have been set up correctly the first for safety!!!!

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Weight on trailer w/ 75 gal of gas is 5,675 and add 400lbs for gear and batteries puts me at 6,075. 8% tongue would put me 486 so moving the post 3 inches will help. Right now i have about an inch before the boat hangs over the bunks. Ill try it today and see what results I get. Thanks!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat could and should hang over the bunks. Mine is just under 3 inches hanging off and weight is perfect

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Sorry guys, I've been looking for the article to post, but haven't found it yet. Will share when I do.

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I adjusted the post back 4 inches. It only took a min to do. Super easy. Went from just over 600lbs to 500lbs now. The boat now hangs 4 inches over the bunks. Still could use more adjustment but already tows better. Ill reach out to the dealer this week see next step.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Reaching out to others who have this setup and ask how your boat sits on your trailer. Iā€™m having to submarine my trailer to get the boat to float, and winch it back on. Is this normal? My bunks stick out several inches from the stern. Iā€™m going to weigh the tongue once my scale arrives. Frustrated with the issues I am having with this POS Shorelandr trailer.
I do this every launch.

1) Unhook transom straps. Flip on power. Set up bumpers and dock ropes for wife.
2) Back trailer into water just enough that I can get out and unhook winch.
3) Unhook safety chain and winch strap.
4) back in until boat floats off. Wife catches boat and brings into dock while I park trailer. Usually this is a couple inches of water over the fenders.

During recovery:
1) Wife jumps off and holds boat at dock. I get truck.
2) Back trailer into water with two inches of water over the fenders.
3) Wife manipulates boat through the trailer guides and towards me.
4) I'm in the water at this time with the winch cable stretched out - as soon as I can reach the boat I hook it up.
5) Winch boat on, attach safety cable, pull out.

We can launch/recover in just a few minutes at our ramps.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I do this every launch.

1) Unhook transom straps. Flip on power. Set up bumpers and dock ropes for wife.
2) Back trailer into water just enough that I can get out and unhook winch.
3) Unhook safety chain and winch strap.
4) back in until boat floats off. Wife catches boat and brings into dock while I park trailer. Usually this is a couple inches of water over the fenders.

During recovery:
1) Wife jumps off and holds boat at dock. I get truck.
2) Back trailer into water with two inches of water over the fenders.
3) Wife manipulates boat through the trailer guides and towards me.
4) I'm in the water at this time with the winch cable stretched out - as soon as I can reach the boat I hook it up.
5) Winch boat on, attach safety cable, pull out.

We can launch/recover in just a few minutes at our ramps.
That's exactly what I do...except, I have guide posts so I have to deploy the fenders after it's launched.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's exactly what I do...except, I have guide posts so I have to deploy the fenders after it's launched.
We have guide posts - my wife uses the 'ol "kick it over" technique when recovering :)

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can someone with this 21ā€™ shorelandr take these same pics or at least tell me if my boat position looks similar? I am still struggling to get the boat off every time.

In the first pic you can see the boat floating above the roller a little with the winch loose, is that normal? The winch post seems kinda far forward but the boat hangs off the back a lot too.

No idea what my tongue weight is but it tows great.

The pictures are straight down the trailer crossmember or the taillights.

Thanks!

E7A82D63-B76F-4581-8E71-789C8F6A26EF.jpeg5865BB28-73EA-4A3D-852A-D77FBC54A7BC.jpeg6C8D02D4-21CF-40AD-8E88-AE888DE8683C.jpeg

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Can someone with this 21ā€™ shorelandr take these same pics or at least tell me if my boat position looks similar? I am still struggling to get the boat off every time.

In the first pic you can see the boat floating above the roller a little with the winch loose, is that normal? The winch post seems kinda far forward but the boat hangs off the back a lot too.

No idea what my tongue weight is but it tows great.

The pictures are straight down the trailer crossmember or the taillights.

Thanks!

View attachment 167830View attachment 167831View attachment 167832
My winch post is at least 6ā€ further towards the rear. I had to move it to get the tongue weight down. I canā€™t really tell what your stern looks like from the photo. My boat sits about 2 inches short at the end. Itā€™s a bitch to get off and on unless I bury the fenders. I have to winch it the last 3-4 feet. I hate the trailer they gave me. I had to upgrade to lights to LED as well.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As RobbieO said take a picture of the back so we can see where your bunks are, not from the side (from the side but like underneath). My guess is your bunks are sticking out pass the hull, which in my opinion makes no sense. And Iā€™m assuming you have too much tonque weight as well. If towing with a 3/4 ton truck you may not notice this by hooking up. I would agree to move the winch post back.