• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212x one engine not responding - connext issue?

sfransko1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Hi Everyone, I have a 2021 212XE and had similar issues with my port engine rpm. Here is what I received from my dealer once they connected with Yamaha, and I haven’t had an issue since.

1 - make sure the boat is never turned off with the throttles not in neutral...this will directly cause the issue that you are having because the gates are not in the correct position when the boat is turned on after the shut down, so they don't calibrate correctly... the boat is basically doing a calibration on certain items each time its started.

#2-make sure to turn the key switch off, wait about 45 seconds for the connext screen to shut down and then turn your battery switch off, don't ever turn the battery switch off while anything is still on the connext screen ...its like yanking the cord from your computer while its on... the system needs to be properly shut down so that when its restarted - it can do its normal calibrations...
This all worked for me and had no issues at all. The key things are letting the connext system boot up and calibrate everything and make sure you start and shut off engines with the steering wheel straight and you will have no problems at all

Vidap

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Update #2. After 2 weeks at the dealer they checked/adjusted the cables and found a loose connection at the box in the Port engine side from the battery terminal. Everything seemed to be working. I even went on a lake test with the dealer and the boat worked fine. After using the boat for 2 days without issue, I started it up on Sunday and the Starboard engine would not engage into forward again. I shut everything down and turned the batteries off and on - tried again- same problem. I noticed the bluetooth music was engaged- we disconnected from that and turned the key off for a minute. I turned the key on and restarted the engines - both engines worked again. There is clearly a software/computer issue. ( I do all the things a previous poster suggested- I'll try to make sure the steering wheel is straight- but shouldn't have to imo. ). I'm told by the dealer that Yamaha is working on a recall to replace a unit that has to do with communication with the throttles ( not exactly sure ). It's been a disappointing and frustrating Summer with this boat thus far ( oh and they lost my center floor mat when it was in to be fixed and apparently I am to wait for a new one on order). For now I will try again and cross my fingers every time I try to start the engines.

sfransko1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Update #2. After 2 weeks at the dealer they checked/adjusted the cables and found a loose connection at the box in the Port engine side from the battery terminal. Everything seemed to be working. I even went on a lake test with the dealer and the boat worked fine. After using the boat for 2 days without issue, I started it up on Sunday and the Starboard engine would not engage into forward again. I shut everything down and turned the batteries off and on - tried again- same problem. I noticed the bluetooth music was engaged- we disconnected from that and turned the key off for a minute. I turned the key on and restarted the engines - both engines worked again. There is clearly a software/computer issue. ( I do all the things a previous poster suggested- I'll try to make sure the steering wheel is straight- but shouldn't have to imo. ). I'm told by the dealer that Yamaha is working on a recall to replace a unit that has to do with communication with the throttles ( not exactly sure ). It's been a disappointing and frustrating Summer with this boat thus far ( oh and they lost my center floor mat when it was in to be fixed and apparently I am to wait for a new one on order). For now I will try again and cross my fingers every time I try to start the engines.
I have a routine I will make sure wheel is straight turn batteries on and let the connext system calibrate for a minute then turn engines on and it works turn engines off with wheel straight turn back on with steering wheel straight and no problems at all very consistent

I even purposely did my routine wrong and only one engines went into gear it’s key to keep the steering wheel straight as much as possible

ChadD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
My dealer called today and stated they contacted Yamaha but didn’t tell me what was discussed. They did tell me they found loose power cables from the battery terminal. So it sounds like this is what Yamaha is telling them to look at. I get it back in a few days. Hope it’s fixed, but from your post I doubt it will be.

ADK212XD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Unfortunately, I had the same issue with 5 hours in on my 2022 212XD. I rebooted the system by disconnecting the batteries and have not had an issue since but I only have 10 hours on the boat. 🤞 I will definitely be following Yamaha’s made up startup & shutdown procedures.

sfransko1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Unfortunately, I had the same issue with 5 hours in on my 2022 212XD. I rebooted the system by disconnecting the batteries and have not had an issue since but I only have 10 hours on the boat. 🤞 I will definitely be following Yamaha’s made up startup & shutdown procedures.
Telling you as long as the steering wheel is straight you won’t have any problems when shutting down and starting up solves all issues

ChadD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Good news on my end. My boat (2021 212xe) went in for the 4th time. A Yamaha technician came from Houston to dfw to work on my boat. They made another gate adjustment (2nd time). I ran the boat all weekend with no alarms!! Yamaha is aware of the issue and it seems they have figured it out. Tell your dealer to contact Yamaha.

Kauluwela

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
New to this forum and new to owning a Yamaha Boat. Took delivery of 2021 212XE on August 6. Also have an FX Cruiser SVHO, so somewhat familar with the Yamaha systems.

With our first voyage, we immediately had the problem where upon shut down of motors I would get a Check Engine pop up window followed by a Stop Steering pop up window - after the motors were shut down but the key still on and the system in "float mode".

The first time it happened we applied a lesson learned from our also very glitchy AXIS A24 and we proceeded to turn off the system (turn key off) and then turn off the batteries. Then power back on the batteries followed by powering up the system (turn key on) then when starting motors one would be showing as in "F" or in gear already and the other in "N" or not in gear. It did not matter if using single or double motor controls. So, we shut down the motors, shut down the system, and turned off the batteries and then we "jiggled" the shift buckets thinking it was a stuck shift bucket actuator. Then, after "jigging" the shift buckets, power everything back up, turn on the motors and no problem - all systems as normal and shifts into gear and drives fine.

This has regularly happened to us and this homemade "procedure" that we use (shutting everything down, jiggling the buckets, and powering everything back up) seems to work just fine, the problem is it is a pain in the rear and is unsafe. There have been a few tense moments with my family where we have been in float mode on the boat, swimming, drifting, and enjoying the sun and we realize we have drifted a bit too far and we have to scramble to go through the re-boot/jiggle process to allow us to turn on the motors and get the boat in gear and moving and we have been fairly close to rocks/beach/waves. If the boat was useable like a normal boat we would not have this problem as we would quickly crank up the boat and move away from danger. Now, when facing danger, we have to go through some sort of rain dance to get the boat to work. Not ideal. But, I can report that "jiggling" the buckets in addition to the steps outlined above has always worked for us. However we will be pursuing a fix on this problem by Yamaha based on the info presented in this thread.

I can also report that after reading this thread I have also tested the remedy of making sure the steering is dead center when shutting down and starting the boat. The wheel turns a full 1.5 turns and it is easy to find dead center by taking the wheel all the way to port or starboard and then turning back to center 3/4 of a turn. Then shut down or start up, but always make sure steering is dead center before shutting down or starting up. This has worked each time we have tried it.

Bottom line is the boat system is flawed and Yamaha needs to do a recall, very disappointing. I still love the boat and we've had fun running up 15 hours in just three weeks. Hoping the Yamaha dealer can fix this without too much resistance (probably wishful thinking!)

Cheers!

In2ishin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone find an actual fix from Yamaha yet? Picked up my 2022 212xe this weekend. At just under 5 hours of use, the starboard engine became stuck in idle while port was operating correctly. Did a full shutdown of the system and starboard returned to neutral but would not respond to throttle. Was also receiving the “stop steering” error when checking engine diagnostics.
Have not yet attempted the procedure with steering on center but will retrace the steps mentioned above in the AM.
It seems like a liability nightmare that Yamaha should have immediately addressed but instead carried over into the 2022 models.

ChadD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Anyone find an actual fix from Yamaha yet? Picked up my 2022 212xe this weekend. At just under 5 hours of use, the starboard engine became stuck in idle while port was operating correctly. Did a full shutdown of the system and starboard returned to neutral but would not respond to throttle. Was also receiving the “stop steering” error when checking engine diagnostics.
Have not yet attempted the procedure with steering on center but will retrace the steps mentioned above in the AM.
It seems like a liability nightmare that Yamaha should have immediately addressed but instead carried over into the 2022 models.
Last year it took several trips back to the dealership. They came and picked it up of course. Yamaha technicians finally got involved and they fixed the issue. I haven’t had issues since and been running all summer this year without any problems. Phil Dill boats in Lewisville Tx fixed my issue. You may have your dealership/service department contact them. They can do a much better job explaining the issue than I can. They looked at so many things with my boat I’m not even sure what actually fixed the issue. I never do the steering on center procedure. Your boat should be able to be shut down in any gear and at any position of the steering wheel. And then start back up no problems. I was so frustrated last year. But like I said, once they fixed the problem it’s been running great.

In2ishin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last year it took several trips back to the dealership. They came and picked it up of course. Yamaha technicians finally got involved and they fixed the issue. I haven’t had issues since and been running all summer this year without any problems. Phil Dill boats in Lewisville Tx fixed my issue. You may have your dealership/service department contact them. They can do a much better job explaining the issue than I can. They looked at so many things with my boat I’m not even sure what actually fixed the issue. I never do the steering on center procedure. Your boat should be able to be shut down in any gear and at any position of the steering wheel. And then start back up no problems. I was so frustrated last year. But like I said, once they fixed the problem it’s been running great.
Thank you ChadD.
I corrected the issue this AM after following the startup suggestions w steering on center. Called my dealer and he added a tip that I hadn’t seen in this thread: after starting the engines, wait 10s for the buckets (and other items) to calibrate. THEN put the boat in gear.
When my issue occurred, I know I started the motors and immediately went into gear. I’ll avoid that in future and give the system 10s to calibrate.

pgeastcoast

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I hit 10 hours on the boat Memorial Day weekend. we were surf boarding and skiing and the boat worked great. started to come back in and started have trouble with starboard engine. got error code to "Check Engine Stop Steering Consult Yamaha Dealer". Starboard would start but no rpm. Limped in with one engine for a while then turned off batteries and restarted. Could not get past 10 mph on both engines, thought we had cruise control set from wake surfing but it was not, Long day!. Took out next day worked great. got away from dock and threw into reverse for a few seconds and then pushed up forward speed to clear out any junk. worked great, went back to dock. Shut engines down, daughter got wet suit on went to start engines and starboard engine had no rpm. shut down boat including batteries, hitched up trailer, fired up again and both engines worked. Both engines worked so loaded it up and took back to dealer. Told by dealer it is throwing off a bunch of error codes and they are working with Yamaha to resolve.. Stay tuned!
I have 2022 212 xd Yamaha boat. First lunch and both engine ru
I hit 10 hours on the boat Memorial Day weekend. we were surf boarding and skiing and the boat worked great. started to come back in and started have trouble with starboard engine. got error code to "Check Engine Stop Steering Consult Yamaha Dealer". Starboard would start but no rpm. Limped in with one engine for a while then turned off batteries and restarted. Could not get past 10 mph on both engines, thought we had cruise control set from wake surfing but it was not, Long day!. Took out next day worked great. got away from dock and threw into reverse for a few seconds and then pushed up forward speed to clear out any junk. worked great, went back to dock. Shut engines down, daughter got wet suit on went to start engines and starboard engine had no rpm. shut down boat including batteries, hitched up trailer, fired up again and both engines worked. Both engines worked so loaded it up and took back to dealer. Told by dealer it is throwing off a bunch of error codes and they are working with Yamaha to resolve.. Stay tuned!
hi I have 2022 212xd yamaha boat. Firs lunch after picked up from a dealer and no Rpm in starboard engine. Both engine started but no Rpm in starboard. I disconnected my battery and this fixed the issue. The following day the same problem in the middle of the lake. I restarted battery but this time it didn’t help. I disconnected battery again after few hours and it worked fine again. Later, the same problem was happening numerous times.I called dealership and they told me to bring the boat for a service.During conversation with service department I got the feeling, that they don’t have any clues or ideas how to resolve this issue. Do you know what exactly what was the problem with your boat. What was the specific issue? Maybe this will help my dealer fix my boat, Thank you very much and o really appreciate your help.