• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212x one engine not responding - connext issue?

ChadD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Did the issue ever resolve? I have a new 212x and having the same issues. I took mine back to the dealer after it left me with one engine the first day out. They gave it back and said it was good but I’m still having the issues.

mskiff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not clear on the issues you are having. I had issues with remote control not working jet gates or throttle. My dealer told me that the cables are very sensitive to any sort of restriction (there was an error code for same) so they redid the tie wraps around the cables at various places and also fixed restrictions in other pass through areas. I have yet to try the boat which I will do this weekend. They never were able to replicate the issue at their shop.

Rippen4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
212XD Yamaha, brand new boat. Backed down the ramp started the engines for the first time and almost ruined the boat in the first minute of running it. The Port engine engaged in forward with propulsion and the Starboard engine stayed in neutral with no ability of controlling either engine into reverse or neutral. Bow of boat was heading towards concrete wall, had to shutdown both engines, and run to bow of boat and get ready to brace myself to Stop the boat from hitting the wall. Not happy about this purchase, called dealer they said they haven't heard of this. So I called Yamaha and they said they haven't had this issue yet. I loaded back on trailer and had to take the Mother store where they are better staffed and equipped with mechanics to figure this out. They called 2 days later they said they cleared 5 engine codes and they could not get it to act up, everything works as it should. Told them to put it the water, take it out and run it and go through all the modes and start and stop it the engines. They called from the dock and said everything works. So picked up the next day trailered back, put it in the water and it worked backing off the trailer in Drive mode. Got close to my dock and shut the engines down and went to restart because I wasn't close enough to the dock and when I started the Port side engine it started in Forward gear and the Starboard started in Neutral and had no control over either engine. Had to shutdown both engines and try again, same thing happened. Called dealer left a voice-mail, took the boat back to dealer, they currently have the boat .

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Shutting the engines down wont clear the issue because its not an engine issue. You need to turn the batt switches off for a min then turn back on so you can let the optimus and connext system reboot. I just had it happen once on my boat and im at about 40hrs on it now. With any boat that has electronic controls, yamaha or not, always check your controls are working properly before you leave the trailer or untie at the slip.

mskiff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup, have them check the cables to the jet gates for any resistance. Same issue I was having.

Rippen4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Well I have turned the batteries off then back on, and started the engines and same issue, so I physically removed the cables off both batteries and waited 5 min, hooked back up and same result. Didn't work. This is a major safety issue, you should be able to shutdown your engines and start again without having to go and turn your batteries off then back on. This is not acceptable.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yes repeated issues like this should not be. If you are getting the bcu error then that is typically batteries or cables like @mskiff. If your getting no error but your shift is doing its own thing or non responsive and its constantly doing it then it could very well be your connext software is corrupted in some way or an issue with the optimus brain.

mskiff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got to use my boat this past weekend after dealer worked on cable restriction issue. I had no problems at all.. everything worked as it should. What a relief. Given the issues I had and the fact that the dealer put on as many hours as I did during the first 10 hour period, they agreed to do the 10 hour service at no cost. Unfortunately they closed over July 4th holiday so I wound up doing the oil change myself. Cost about $85 including 2 gallons of Yamalube ($60) and the fluid extractor which I bought from Walmart for about $24. I was able to get 129 fluid ounces out of the port engine and 127 out of the starboard. Took about 2 hours but mostly because I tried sucking the oil 2-3 times on each engine not knowing how much I would get out. Probably would take less than an hour next time. Easy to level the engine using a torpedo level and floor jack under trailer tongue (trailer jack stand would not go down low enough). Did not change the filters due to not having any on hand but the 10 hour service does not call for them to be replaced.

Vidap

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Got to use my boat this past weekend after dealer worked on cable restriction issue. I had no problems at all.. everything worked as it should. What a relief. Given the issues I had and the fact that the dealer put on as many hours as I did during the first 10 hour period, they agreed to do the 10 hour service at no cost. Unfortunately they closed over July 4th holiday so I wound up doing the oil change myself. Cost about $85 including 2 gallons of Yamalube ($60) and the fluid extractor which I bought from Walmart for about $24. I was able to get 129 fluid ounces out of the port engine and 127 out of the starboard. Took about 2 hours but mostly because I tried sucking the oil 2-3 times on each engine not knowing how much I would get out. Probably would take less than an hour next time. Easy to level the engine using a torpedo level and floor jack under trailer tongue (trailer jack stand would not go down low enough). Did not change the filters due to not having any on hand but the 10 hour service does not call for them to be replaced.
I'm having the same issues with my new Yamaha 2021 212xd. The Starboard engine stays in neutral and will not go into forward most of the time. Sometimes it starts in Forward! If I turn the batteries off and on and try to restart both engines may work after 20-30 tries- but then goes back to same problem after the boat is turned off and on to use again. I took it back to the Dealership I bought it from ( a 7 hour ordeal ) and very difficult to get the boat to steer to the boat launch with only one engine working. The dealership could not replicate the problem and said it was fine and gave it back to me with 2 hours more on each engine and a empty gas tank. Of course the problems began again. Sometimes the port engine stays in neutral sometimes they start in Forward. The dealership told me to try moving the red electronic/manual levers back and forth but doesn't help. Every time I try to reset with the batteries off and on, I get one of the problems- and on a very rare occasion both engines work. I got the Stop steering warning and a bunch of other warnings as well. Very frustrated and ideally want my money back. But taking it back to the dealership tomorrow- perhaps it's the same cable restriction issue- I'll post the results.

mskiff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The dealer needs to go through and free up the cables that go to the jet gates from the servo unit. Loosen all tie raps, in my case they had to make a passage bigger (not sure where). I understand your frustration. I was running my boat in no wake mode to get it "home". My dealer is Chatlee in Sanford, NC if your dealer wanted to reach out. Have them talk to Jimmie Holt (Service Manager).

Vidap

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thank you! much appreciated. My dealer is Dewildt Marine in Hamilton ON, Canada. I will have them reach out to the Chatlee Service Manager.

Rippen4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I'm having the same issues with my new Yamaha 2021 212xd. The Starboard engine stays in neutral and will not go into forward most of the time. Sometimes it starts in Forward! If I turn the batteries off and on and try to restart both engines may work after 20-30 tries- but then goes back to same problem after the boat is turned off and on to use again. I took it back to the Dealership I bought it from ( a 7 hour ordeal ) and very difficult to get the boat to steer to the boat launch with only one engine working. The dealership could not replicate the problem and said it was fine and gave it back to me with 2 hours more on each engine and a empty gas tank. Of course the problems began again. Sometimes the port engine stays in neutral sometimes they start in Forward. The dealership told me to try moving the red electronic/manual levers back and forth but doesn't help. Every time I try to reset with the batteries off and on, I get one of the problems- and on a very rare occasion both engines work. I got the Stop steering warning and a bunch of other warnings as well. Very frustrated and ideally want my money back. But taking it back to the dealership tomorrow- perhaps it's the same cable restriction issue- I'll post the results.
Wow, that is the Exact issues I am having, Yamaha is saying they haven't heard of this issue, acting like nobody else has had this problem. The dealer thinks I'm crazy until the 3rd time of taking back to the dealer and they finally got it to act up, be curious to see what Yamaha is going to do to resolve this issue with these boats. Should be a recall, cause at this point it's the third time to the dealer with same issue which falls under the LEMON LAW requirements, so really contemplating calling a lawyer and get them involved with this situation. Would love to discuss further with you. 419-466-6850 AARON

ChadD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Im having the exact issue as everyone above. I get mine back this Wednesday for the second time. I’ll keep you informed. I was told by my tech that there is a service bulletin by Yamaha about a gate adjustment. We’ll see.

Rippen4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Ok, we will see.

Big Floater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Hey guys. New here and joined just to comment on this thread. I have 1 hour on my 212XD and experienced the same thing 2 weeks ago. Boat has been at the dealer since. On the day I had my issue, I had to do the battery reset 5 times. Had to limp to shore with one engine. The interesting part of my issue is each time I’d reset the batteries I’d lose the port, then starboard, then both- each reset had different results. Engine alarms with each one every time though.

The comment about cables binding is interesting because the dealer said he can reproduce the problem when the wheel is turned left or right, but when it’s centered it’s fine. This only happens on startup according to him. I can’t honestly say I recall the position of the steering wheel when staring each time, so this is possible, and sounds like mskiff has had some luck after unbinding cables.

According to my dealer, Yamaha is well aware and is receiving several of these complaints. It’s with the R&D dept now with no answers yet. He was told “they’re working on it.”

With having zero confidence in this boat I told him to keep it until they figure it out or it passes the minimum number of days to Lemon Law it. I’m fine with either. It’s just disappearing Yamaha would let something like this roll out the door.

Ill keep you posted when I hear/learn more….

Rippen4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Update on my issue, 212xd went back to dealer on July 7 for the 3rd time for same issue, was told by dealer Yamaha wanted him to do the cable rerouting and the dealer did so. The dealer called me and said he finally got it to do what I was talking about. Meaning all the issues with the startup and one engine starts in Forward and one Engine stays in Neutral. And this is after he rerouted the cables. So the answer to moving the cables did not work on my boat, so it is now July 14 and still haven't heard of a solution to the problem I am having with my boat. Very frustrating, paying on something Brand New and can't even use it. Again very disappointed with YAMAHA!

JustD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Thank you! much appreciated. My dealer is Dewildt Marine in Hamilton ON, Canada. I will have them reach out to the Chatlee Service Manager.
I am having the same issues as Vidap. Starboard engine stays in neutral when using the throttle. Will work from time to time . Makes steering almost impossible at slow speeds. Bought my boat from Dewidlt Marine as well ( Innisfil location). I brought it back once already and they said some of the wiring was loose and to try it again which they hoped solved the problem. Same issue after 2- 3 hrs on the water this past weekend. Tried shutting down batteries which worked briefly. My boat is sitting in the water at my cottage and they don't seem to know how to fix the problem. Only 15 hrs on it. Very disappointed!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
There was an issue last year (2020) with the e-series boats throwing codes when the steering wheel was turned all the way (in any direction) and then the engine was shut off. Not sure if this helps... I'll try to find the threads.

Rippen4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Update, just received a phone call from my dealer. Yamaha has requested that I the owner of the boat go to the dealership ( which is 1 hour and 45 minutes away) and take it to a nearby boat ramp with the dealer so they can observe me operating the boat. And they are bringing a laptop to record the codes that I will create. My issue is the dealer can already simulate exactly what I am experiencing, but I will go and meet with them tomorrow and go drive the boat with the dealer to meet what Yamaha is asking of me. I will say I will be contacting a lawyer very soon to start the process of returning this boat. Very discouraged (Yamaha sets the STANDARD) just not this year...