• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

275SD Worst Low speed steering ever!!! Wish I didn't buy it.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All the Yamaha's tend to handle the same, weight as the boats get bigger may play a bit of a factor depending on conditions and what you are trying to do. Twin engine boats allow you to do a few more things and a bit more control once you learn how to use both throttles independently. Put Cobra Jet Fins or another steering Mod on them and it is a game changer and they get easier as you practice.

I have twin jets and I can spin on a dime, do a 360 and actually walk the boat sideways into a slip without an issue. BUT it wasn't that way on day one.
I'm still working on "the walk". Any pointers to resources on learning that trick?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still working on "the walk". Any pointers to resources on learning that trick?
For me (with a single) it's pretty straight forward. Keep in mind that boat rotates about it's center axis, it doesn't turn like a car, it rotates, so you don't really "drive" it into a spot, if you want it to move laterally you have to "saw" it into position, A little forward, a little backwards, lather rinse, repeat.

A few things to keep in mind that are different than a car or I/O boat
  • Forward movement is MUCH MUCH faster than rearward movement. You barely creep in reverse, and you move swiftly in forward. You'll spend MUCH more time in reverse than forward.
  • You can move between forward(FWD) and Reverse (RVS) as often as you like. There is no transmission and nothing will get hurt shifting as often as you need to. This was WILDLY counter-intuitive for me coming from being an I/O boat owner, and a general "gear head" for years. Shift early, shift often, it's just a bucket moving on the end of a cable, you won't hurt a thing no matter how often you "shift gears"
  • No RPM = No thrust = No Control. You need some revs to make it happen, and there is ZERO harm in letting the engine "idle up" in no wake mode, and sitting in "neutral". Just makes a little more noise and uses a little more fuel. Won't hurt a thing.
SO......The walk goes like this;
  • No Wake Mode at least at setting 1/3 maybe 2/3 depending on conditions.
  • GO SLOW, you've got time, if you're in a rush it won't work and you'll get mad.
  • Start parallel to the dock/boat/buoy/whatever. I'll talk like it's on my right, and I'm snuggling up next to it.
  • FWD and let the bow come close a small amount
  • RVS and let the stern come in, and move the boat back slightly
  • FWD and let the bow come a little closer
  • RVS and pull the stern in a little more and back up slightly
  • Repeat until you're close enough to just touch the thing you're getting close to.
You'll need about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 boat lengths to get it done. I've gotten in closer, but it was nerve wracking and I had a spare set of hands on shore. to toss lines to. I routinely "back up" to the dock to let people on and off. I can hold position there in good conditions and not touch the dock, or make the step overly large. My wife does a "spin" every time she brings me in to get the truck. We get comments on it about 9/10 times we do it. No leaning off the side to catch the dock, no dock lines or bumpers to mess with. She comes in, spins the boat, glides in backwards to the dock, uses the right amount of thrust to hold position just long enough for me to step off, then motors away. Super quick and painless for us, and keeps the courtesy dock clear for others. There isn't another boat on the water that I've EVER seen do that, and IMO speaks the significant maneuverability advantage of a jet over other drive systems........ONCE you've mastered it.

I tell everyone that will listen to me (and some that won't). Jets have a bad reputation for maneuverability because people to expect them to drive like a car. It's not a car, it'll never be a car, and to expect it to drive like one is absurd. It drives like a boat, a very "loose" boat. You wouldn't get in a tracked vehicle like a tank and expect to have the same controls, same turning radius, or same driving dynamics would you? Ever driven a Zero Turn mower? Wasn't like a car, wasn't like a boat. It's not bad, it's just different. Once you get the premise that it's just different, and you have to control it differently, it's an amazingly capable platform with a ridiculously simple and robust drivetrain.

minn19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
$5 says it's "Dustin" trying to drive the stolen 275 from the other thread :D :D
He was ballsy enough to throw a party on it so maybe.......................

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
On the 2019+ boats, Yamaha redesigned the reverse nozzles on the drive units which essentially removes the need for the lateral thrusters. Some folks claim the lateral thrusters are a little bit better than the new stock Yamaha setup, but they're good enough that JetBoatPilot is not making a version of the lateral thruster for 2019+ boats.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For me (with a single) it's pretty straight forward. Keep in mind that boat rotates about it's center axis, it doesn't turn like a car, it rotates, so you don't really "drive" it into a spot, if you want it to move laterally you have to "saw" it into position, A little forward, a little backwards, lather rinse, repeat.

A few things to keep in mind that are different than a car or I/O boat
  • Forward movement is MUCH MUCH faster than rearward movement. You barely creep in reverse, and you move swiftly in forward. You'll spend MUCH more time in reverse than forward.
  • You can move between forward(FWD) and Reverse (RVS) as often as you like. There is no transmission and nothing will get hurt shifting as often as you need to. This was WILDLY counter-intuitive for me coming from being an I/O boat owner, and a general "gear head" for years. Shift early, shift often, it's just a bucket moving on the end of a cable, you won't hurt a thing no matter how often you "shift gears"
  • No RPM = No thrust = No Control. You need some revs to make it happen, and there is ZERO harm in letting the engine "idle up" in no wake mode, and sitting in "neutral". Just makes a little more noise and uses a little more fuel. Won't hurt a thing.
SO......The walk goes like this;
  • No Wake Mode at least at setting 1/3 maybe 2/3 depending on conditions.
  • GO SLOW, you've got time, if you're in a rush it won't work and you'll get mad.
  • Start parallel to the dock/boat/buoy/whatever. I'll talk like it's on my right, and I'm snuggling up next to it.
  • FWD and let the bow come close a small amount
  • RVS and let the stern come in, and move the boat back slightly
  • FWD and let the bow come a little closer
  • RVS and pull the stern in a little more and back up slightly
  • Repeat until you're close enough to just touch the thing you're getting close to.
You'll need about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 boat lengths to get it done. I've gotten in closer, but it was nerve wracking and I had a spare set of hands on shore. to toss lines to. I routinely "back up" to the dock to let people on and off. I can hold position there in good conditions and not touch the dock, or make the step overly large. My wife does a "spin" every time she brings me in to get the truck. We get comments on it about 9/10 times we do it. No leaning off the side to catch the dock, no dock lines or bumpers to mess with. She comes in, spins the boat, glides in backwards to the dock, uses the right amount of thrust to hold position just long enough for me to step off, then motors away. Super quick and painless for us, and keeps the courtesy dock clear for others. There isn't another boat on the water that I've EVER seen do that, and IMO speaks the significant maneuverability advantage of a jet over other drive systems........ONCE you've mastered it.

I tell everyone that will listen to me (and some that won't). Jets have a bad reputation for maneuverability because people to expect them to drive like a car. It's not a car, it'll never be a car, and to expect it to drive like one is absurd. It drives like a boat, a very "loose" boat. You wouldn't get in a tracked vehicle like a tank and expect to have the same controls, same turning radius, or same driving dynamics would you? Ever driven a Zero Turn mower? Wasn't like a car, wasn't like a boat. It's not bad, it's just different. Once you get the premise that it's just different, and you have to control it differently, it's an amazingly capable platform with a ridiculously simple and robust drivetrain.
Awesome write-up. Anyone know how different this is with a 2-engine boat? I noticed @HangOutdoors mentioned using the "opposite" engine (so if the desired effect was to move the stern to port, you'd lock the wheel to port and put the starboard engine into reverse leaving the port engine in neutral) but I wanted to ensure I understood that properly. Sounds like I have some new tricks to try on a calm day... if the Admiral and kid don't want to leverage that time for skiing :)

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Spent all day, July 5th on one. Jim had a bruised gizzard from the day before so I ended up driving most of the day. Handles great. Very similar to my 212, which is impressive considering the length difference. Loungers combined with the in water seats are a great combination! And the paddle drive system is better than I ever dreamed. F-n-r without taking hands off the wheel makes it very simple.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seeing that the OP has not replied to this thread after 4 pages I would guess that he's just a troll

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Seeing that the OP has not replied to this thread after 4 pages I would guess that he's just a troll
Or an operative from the evil Cabal made up of stern drive and outboard manufactures?

Potatoe, tomato.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome write-up. Anyone know how different this is with a 2-engine boat? I noticed @HangOutdoors mentioned using the "opposite" engine (so if the desired effect was to move the stern to port, you'd lock the wheel to port and put the starboard engine into reverse leaving the port engine in neutral) but I wanted to ensure I understood that properly. Sounds like I have some new tricks to try on a calm day... if the Admiral and kid don't want to leverage that time for skiing :)

Yes you are correct. I only need a few feet more the the boat length to do it for play. Now that is assuming I don't have current and some heavy chop/wind. I spent a couple of hours doing it one day waiting for one of the crew to get dropped off at the Metro Park. Had a whole crowd eventually watching me go in a park then push off go about 30 feet, do a 360 in place and then do it again. Practiced both starboard and port walking into the dock. Had a lot of questions about the Yamaha from people on shore and other boats. You would of thought that I have been driving one for a decade. Also did a 360 right at the Ramp (deeper ramp) to see what it would feel like. An old timer in Whaler looked and me and Nice Job Son.

but you want to do the reverse smoothly and slightly. If you rev it to hard as your stern goes in the bow will come out to much. Once you do it a couple of times you will get a feel for your boat and it becomes second nature. Kind of like a see saw, don't stop the momentum of either the stern or bow once you get it moving.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes you are correct. I only need a few feet more the the boat length to do it for play. Now that is assuming I don't have current and some heavy chop/wind. I spent a couple of hours doing it one day waiting for one of the crew to get dropped off at the Metro Park. Had a whole crowd eventually watching me go in a park then push off go about 30 feet, do a 360 in place and then do it again. Practiced both starboard and port walking into the dock. Had a lot of questions about the Yamaha from people on shore and other boats. You would of thought that I have been driving one for a decade. Also did a 360 right at the Ramp (deeper ramp) to see what it would feel like. An old timer in Whaler looked and me and Nice Job Son.

but you want to do the reverse smoothly and slightly. If you rev it to hard as your stern goes in the bow will come out to much. Once you do it a couple of times you will get a feel for your boat and it becomes second nature. Kind of like a see saw, don't stop the momentum of either the stern or bow once you get it moving.
I practiced this yesterday! Thanks for the tips. Getting better!

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd like to go ahead and offer to buy this poor handling boat from you. I'll give you 70% of what you paid. I think it's a very fair offer. I can come pick it up tomorrow. Cash in hand!

otto hyden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Season 7 for me and I still have trouble in wind and current. It is so frustrating at times it does almost ruin the entire day. I added Thrust Vectors and Lateral Thrusters which helped quite a bit (mostly with changing directions quicker) but I still often look like an inexperienced fool at the ramp. I just switched to Cobra Jet Steering Ultimates the other day for a few reasons and will try them out tomorrow but I can put a stern drive anywhere I want it and could do the same with my SeaDoo PWC. This boat is just far more challenging.
I have a 2009 232 Limited. The boat is incredible and I have learned to control it with time. My biggest complaint is the slop in the steering wheel. I have researched trying to find a hydraulic steering system but evidently none are available for the jet boats. Any suggestions on where to find the proper system?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2009 232 Limited. The boat is incredible and I have learned to control it with time. My biggest complaint is the slop in the steering wheel. I have researched trying to find a hydraulic steering system but evidently none are available for the jet boats. Any suggestions on where to find the proper system?
Glad to have you on board,

Do you have any type of fin on the boat ?
is the "slop" in the steering wheel or after you've turned the wheel and boat reaction time?

we have a few write ups about replacing the bushing in the nozzle to help reduce slop from the wheel,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

it could also be your cable attachment behind the helm at the steering box has come loose allowing the wheel to turn without moving the cable,

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Mine has a little bit of slop as well compared to a hydraulic or electric steering system in a boat or car but it's not that much, maybe a half inch or less side to side. I did replace steering cables two seasons ago, however there wasn't any significant amount of slop before either it was just hard to turn.

At speed with the Cobra Jet Steering system there is no slop with them in the "always down" position that I recall but I've only been out with them once. With the Thrust Vectors I had before, they flipped up at speed so the slop was pretty much the same as at idle.

otto hyden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,

Do you have any type of fin on the boat ?
is the "slop" in the steering wheel or after you've turned the wheel and boat reaction time?

we have a few write ups about replacing the bushing in the nozzle to help reduce slop from the wheel,
I do have aftermarket fins installed on the boat. They have helped tremendously. The travel seems to be in the steering wheel itself, but the reaction time in correcting the direction of travel is very slow. I thought that a hydraulic steering system may take up the slack and give better control.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@otto hyden Are you talking at slow no wake or at speed or WOT?