• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

275SD Worst Low speed steering ever!!! Wish I didn't buy it.

John_D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
No I don't believe so. Read up a lot here, there are threads everywhere. Plus Jeff at CJS is awesome. I spoke with him directly and he walked me through the pro's of each model and the purchase as well as issue I had with install which was my own doing.
Thank you sir

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hang in there pardner, the second and third weekend I went out alone and practiced touch and go on the dock. The neighbors got dizzy watching but I got my confidence. Using direction shift instead of throttle really helped. If you can drive a jet you can drive anything.

Grogfather

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My suggestion is to take it out, by yourself if possible, and just play with it. Each boat has its own personality, and I can't imaging the 275's are any different. My 242 is quite a bit smaller than the last twin I drove, but the same principles apply. In no-wake mode I can make my boat do anything I want, but sometimes do have to bump it up a notch to get enough power. Play with bumping it in and out of gear, different combinations with various rudder/thrust positions. I think you'll find our boats are quite maneuverable if you learn how to direct them properly. My last one did take a couple of tugs in the breeze though, I must admit. 1594606028936.png

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So you bought a 100k boat without sea trialing it?

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It takes practice! Put one of the throwable life preservers in the water out in the lake, practice docking to it, backing up to it etc. I came from a mastercraft and my boat with Cobra's on it is way better at backing up. Today we lost a inflatable and it went into shore. Told my wife I'd back up to the end to the dock (not mine) she could get off, run and get it, I'd back up again and she could walk on. Did it first time and she literally just stepped off and on. I didn't even tap the dock. Learn to use the side thrusters, learn to use both engines, you will be amazed what you can do.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I will also pY attention to my weather app. If the wind forecast is above 12 mph or more I won’t go out
So you bought a 100k boat without sea trialing it?
i know when I trialed my 2016 192 it was under ideal conditions. As you are aware, you truly don’t get an honest sense of the boat until several outings under various conditions. I have slapped my dock on windy days. I have installed lateral thrusters and force vectors. Yes improved maneuverability yet when wind is above 12 mph steeping at low speeds are challenging at best even with aftermarket components. I think the fair question to ask is why Yamaha doesn’t offer improved steering at that price point? I agree that’s a lot of money and yet still steering requires instant upgrade.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I will also pY attention to my weather app. If the wind forecast is above 12 mph or more I won’t go out

i know when I trialed my 2016 192 it was under ideal conditions. As you are aware, you truly don’t get an honest sense of the boat until several outings under various conditions. I have slapped my dock on windy days. I have installed lateral thrusters and force vectors. Yes improved maneuverability yet when wind is above 12 mph steeping at low speeds are challenging at best even with aftermarket components. I think the fair question to ask is why Yamaha doesn’t offer improved steering at that price point? I agree that’s a lot of money and yet still steering requires instant upgrade.
I disagree that it ‘requires’ an upgrade.

Drop any preconceived notions you have (from your experiences with I/O, inboard, or outboard handling characteristics), etc..., work to learn the machine, and it can be great in its stock form. I’m ~23 hrs in to mine and I definitely feel no requirement to hit up aftermarket steering aides. YMMV, of course, but I can maneuver as well or better than most of the other (non jet) boats I see out there, and this is my first boat.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I disagree that it ‘requires’ an upgrade.

Drop any preconceived notions you have (from your experiences with I/O, inboard, or outboard handling characteristics), etc..., work to learn the machine, and it can be great in its stock form. I’m ~23 hrs in to mine and I definitely feel no requirement to hit up aftermarket steering aides. YMMV, of course, but I can maneuver as well or better than most of the other (non jet) boats I see out there, and this is my first boat.
Yeah I do not have two engines as your boat has. I’m glad that is the case for you as far as adequate maneuvering with a stock set up. I start to experience steering lose with 12MPH or more Wind speed despite aftermarket parts. Just the nature of single engines. I have been renting a slip and my Issue is at low speeds maneuvering around the docks on windy days. Otherwise, I am very happy with the Increased maneuvering affect it has on my Boat. My next boat will be a 24 ft. just have wait till available. Most of all, will be glad not to have install additional parts.

Last edited:

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah I do not have two engines as your boat has. I’m glad that is the case for you as far as adequate maneuvering with a stock set up. I start to experience steering lose with 12MPH or more Wind speed despite aftermarket parts. Just the nature of single engines. I have been renting a slip and my Issue is at low speeds maneuvering around the docks on windy days. Otherwise, I am very happy with the Increased maneuvering affect it has on my Boat. My next boat will be a 24 ft. just have wait till available. Most of all, will be glad not to have install additional parts.
Your point about the twin engines is a good one - it definitely helps low speed maneuvering.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
‘I have the FSH21 with Cobra fins on it. I can spin the boat and put it anywhere. Practice a little, with the twin motors you can move it any way you want. Practice out in the middle a little bit. Also remember you have to be moving to control it.
Think witch way your pumps are facing.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I laugh at some of the posts about steering a jet boat because I learned to drive on a 1959 rambler with no power steering, no power brakes, no air conditioning and a 3 speed stick on the column with no syncromesh in first gear, Can I drive one certainly do I want to drive one HELL NO can I afford power steering and all the other upgrades hell yes would I let anyone talk me into going back and driving one absolutely not remember there is the hard way to do things and the easy way. let common sense prevail. It's your boat practice trying to maneuver it or practice enjoying it a lot more.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Babin Farms Perhaps it was just a troll. Sure whipped up this thread and the other thread nicely though for discussion. Or perhaps they didn't want to set their beer down while trying to dock.......

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Babin Farms Perhaps it was just a troll. Sure whipped up this thread and the other thread nicely though for discussion. Or perhaps they didn't want to set their beer down while trying to dock.......
100% agree, troll post.

Put it this way, Why would anyone with a 275 say,
Don't buy unless you have paddle throttles . This boat sucks in low speed maneuvering or parking.
The 275 is the only one with paddles.

TROLL

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I have a theory......

Someone stole their 275 last weekend and she mentioned it in the morning. Then on the same day in the early afternoon someone posts that they steering sucks and never returns to post again.

Hmmmm.......... Did someone steal a boat they can't drive?

Just sayin!

Would be interesting to see if what geo area they actually posted from and was it within range of AnnapolisCatt and where their boat was moored. Maybe if this was the case..... just reaching of course....... they would return it since they can't drive it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now it appears that in a facebook post that they found the boat. It has gashes in the fiberglass that look like they may have come from running into a dock or other structure.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Someone stole their 275 last weekend and she mentioned it in the morning. Then on the same day in the early afternoon someone posts that they steering sucks and never returns to post again.

Just sayin!

Would be interesting to see if what geo area they actually posted from and was it within range of AnnapolisCatt and where their boat was moored. Maybe if this was the case..... just reaching of course....... they would return it since they can't drive it.
LOL...that’s an interesting thought! This will be fun to follow.

minn19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not to add to the noise of the jet boat steering debate, but I don't see it being that horrible stock myself. I had an outboard fishing boat for 6-7 years and a pontoon we used for 15. They both could be a handful on windy days and in high currents. The jet boats are obviously much different, but if you take the time to really get to know how to drive them, I really don't see them being that much worse than outboards or other boats. My least favorite is a ski boat with a single prop/rigid shaft drive (that's what she said) ;) . That is the only boat I found nearly impossible to back up etc. I'm sure that there are many that say they have no problems with those so that just goes to show it is a somewhat personal feeling on what one likes/ doesn't like are comfortable with etc....

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Just sayin!

The OP posted from the Flagler Beach Fl area.