• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

275SD Worst Low speed steering ever!!! Wish I didn't buy it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Meh, one hell of a drive down the coast by boat.....

So much for my theory :rolleyes: Perhaps I need to turn off the History channel for a few nights.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've got 36 hours on our 212S now and have zero problems docking it *unless* there's a strong wind - as maneuverable as they are the wind still grabs them like a kite an pushes them around. If there's a lot of wind I have to come in not distracted and with a good game plan for if (when) the wind gusts up and plan A becomes plan D.

John_D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Morning, getting some mixed signals here. Do you guys support the Cobra Jet Steer for better movability with in the marina or docking. I'm leaning towards it but never owning a jet boat I'm taking advice from jet boat operators. One more question, your thoughts on Lateral Thrusters

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On Saturday, I was in a chain of lakes and the ramp was in the channel between the river and the lake. First time I have loaded or unloaded with a cross current and it was probably 4-7 mph. We had heavy rains the previous 2 days.

Very interesting. Unloading I put the boat on the upstream side of the ramp. Really a non issue. Loading to come out was another story. I made two attempts and i ended up going backwards while other boats were coming up the channel. Made me a bit nervous, didn't want to hit someone or damage the boat.

The third attempt, I pointed the bow at about a 45 degree angle to the trailer and just about as the bow was just being pushed to the first trailer post I gunned it and it shot right up in there. I don't like to power load like that, but I wasn't going to get it in any other way.

Now I understand when I have read other posts regarding ramps in rivers with heavy cross currents.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Morning, getting some mixed signals here. Do you guys support the Cobra Jet Steer for better movability with in the marina or docking. I'm leaning towards it but never owning a jet boat I'm taking advice from jet boat operators. One more question, your thoughts on Lateral Thrusters
I absolutely support Cobra Jet Steering for low power no wake as well as all the way up through WOT. It was a game changer for me. As far as latteral thrusters, I haven't used them.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ditto what @HangOutdoors said. I am 110% Cobra Jet Fangs user and can attest that they fully helped to add additional control to the boat in low/slow speeds. To be fair, Thrust Vectors most likely do the same, so to each his own. I like the look and operation of the Cobra Jet Fangs much more than the Thrust Vectors and would not buy another jet boat without having them on or on order to install them as soon as possible. Can the boat be maneuvered without them? Yes, absolutely but they make driving slow within the no wake zones or just slow for that matter 100% better.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have to stay “ahead” of the boat. I found that if you are being proactive with your inputs and not reactive it’s a lot easier to control the boat. The boat lags a little bit with the low speed steering inputs (at least stock setup) so if you are always behind the boat reacting you are all over the place. Proactive you can stay ahead and for the most part put the boat right where you want it. Taking the top down is helpful on windy days for docking. The thing is a sail.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also load at a ramp with cross winds and current. Best advice from above is cobra fins, bimini not deployed, trailer guides help and like others say be proactive in your steering inputs, not reactive. I usually go in at no wake setting one (2 if really windy) and constantly bump throttle between fwd, neutral and reverse. I try to go in with wind on the side that pushes you into the dock. If I have the wind pushing me into dock I try to come in about 2 feet from dock, shut engine off and wind gentle pushes me into the dock. This plan usually works, on occasion the plan goes to shit but its pilot error when it happens.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
constantly bump throttle between fwd, neutral and reverse.
I think this is the biggest thing to remember with Yamaha jet boats...no grinding or clunking gears every time change from F-N-R unlike with outboards and stern drives. So you can bump in and out of “gear” much easier and more often.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think this is the biggest thing to remember with Yamaha jet boats...no grinding or clunking gears every time change from F-N-R unlike with outboards and stern drives. So you can bump in and out of “gear” much easier and more often.
I think a bigger thing to remember is we are talking about a 275, and there is no need or that method. As the paddles eliminated the need for moving any levers. So if someone has issues driving a 275, they have more serious issues.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 2 cents...coming from years of prop boats, I don't find the jetboat any harder to operate. I find it a bit easier and haven't even bothered with using the two separate throttles. I approach using No Wake 2 so it doesn't wander much, then cut to idle and reverse to slow forward momentum, forward again to bring in the bow, then reverse and pull or push in the stern as needed. It takes some practice as it handles differently from a prop drive, but it's not less, just different. Practice in the open and learn how it handles.

My boat is stock with the articulating keel and stock buckets. I have no need to add extra fins. I did get an extra tie rod from CobraJetBoats to balance out the steering cables. She steers a bit better now because of it, and sharp turns are a bit easier too.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I find it next to impossible to bring the stern in when side docking. I haven’t installed my lateral thrusters yet

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I find it next to impossible to bring the stern in when side docking. I haven’t installed my lateral thrusters yet
Holy crap, you own them and have yet to install them! Do it!! Best improvement known to man!

I actually installed mine under the trailer in the dark in about 30 minutes last summer. Amazing control in reverse. In fact, i will back into things before going forward if I have the option, they are that good.

When a surfer drops, I will back up to them before circling around, they are that good.

DO IT!!

Good luck, good choice.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not sure what others do, but what I do is to turn wheel in the direction you want the stern to go hard all the way use the engine on the side that is not being docked only, not both and run it in reverse. It will pull it up nice and smooth. If I need to walk it in I just go back on forth with the wheel turning it both directions and run the opposite engine in reverse. Better than I can parallel park a car. I have CJS steering.

There might be a better way. This how my junior jet boating skills are learning.

John_D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Can you use lateral thrusters with the Cobra jet steering?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No Idea.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think a bigger thing to remember is we are talking about a 275, and there is no need or that method. As the paddles eliminated the need for moving any levers. So if someone has issues driving a 275, they have more serious issues.
I think the paddle/drive system is only on the 275sd, not the se OP has.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can you use lateral thrusters with the Cobra jet steering?
Yes. Certain cobra fins like the Super magnum AK (no fangs However) work with the Lateral Thrusters. I’ve had mine for a year and it’s awesome. Low speed docking, high speed cornering and coming off plan handling and cool reverse maneuvers with LTs

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am not sure what others do, but what I do is to turn wheel in the direction you want the stern to go hard all the way use the engine on the side that is not being docked only, not both and run it in reverse. It will pull it up nice and smooth. If I need to walk it in I just go back on forth with the wheel turning it both directions and run the opposite engine in reverse. Better than I can parallel park a car. I have CJS steering.

There might be a better way. This how my junior jet boating skills are learning.
This is exactly the method I use. It works very well.