• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

275SD Worst Low speed steering ever!!! Wish I didn't buy it.

otto hyden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I do have aftermarket fins installed on the boat. They have helped tremendously. The travel seems to be in the steering wheel itself, but the reaction time in correcting the direction of travel is very slow. I thought that a hydraulic steering system may take up the slack and give better control.
Thanks Scott-I got so excited that I had a reply that I forgot to thank you for replying.

otto hyden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks Scott-I got so excited that I had a reply that I forgot to thank you for replying.
The slop in the steering is at low and fast speeds. I saw where this situation has been discussed in past inquiries. I will check the archives and see what's listed. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Thanks to all.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The slop in the steering is at low and fast speeds. I saw where this situation has been discussed in past inquiries. I will check the archives and see what's listed. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Thanks to all.
Be sure to check the cable attachment behind the wheel

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't bother with this post,
Crazyman hasn't even signed back on since he made the original post, his only two post were the same day complaining of the same thing,

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me (with a single) it's pretty straight forward. Keep in mind that boat rotates about it's center axis, it doesn't turn like a car, it rotates, so you don't really "drive" it into a spot, if you want it to move laterally you have to "saw" it into position, A little forward, a little backwards, lather rinse, repeat.

A few things to keep in mind that are different than a car or I/O boat
  • Forward movement is MUCH MUCH faster than rearward movement. You barely creep in reverse, and you move swiftly in forward. You'll spend MUCH more time in reverse than forward.
  • You can move between forward(FWD) and Reverse (RVS) as often as you like. There is no transmission and nothing will get hurt shifting as often as you need to. This was WILDLY counter-intuitive for me coming from being an I/O boat owner, and a general "gear head" for years. Shift early, shift often, it's just a bucket moving on the end of a cable, you won't hurt a thing no matter how often you "shift gears"
  • No RPM = No thrust = No Control. You need some revs to make it happen, and there is ZERO harm in letting the engine "idle up" in no wake mode, and sitting in "neutral". Just makes a little more noise and uses a little more fuel. Won't hurt a thing.
SO......The walk goes like this;
  • No Wake Mode at least at setting 1/3 maybe 2/3 depending on conditions.
  • GO SLOW, you've got time, if you're in a rush it won't work and you'll get mad.
  • Start parallel to the dock/boat/buoy/whatever. I'll talk like it's on my right, and I'm snuggling up next to it.
  • FWD and let the bow come close a small amount
  • RVS and let the stern come in, and move the boat back slightly
  • FWD and let the bow come a little closer
  • RVS and pull the stern in a little more and back up slightly
  • Repeat until you're close enough to just touch the thing you're getting close to.
You'll need about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 boat lengths to get it done. I've gotten in closer, but it was nerve wracking and I had a spare set of hands on shore. to toss lines to. I routinely "back up" to the dock to let people on and off. I can hold position there in good conditions and not touch the dock, or make the step overly large. My wife does a "spin" every time she brings me in to get the truck. We get comments on it about 9/10 times we do it. No leaning off the side to catch the dock, no dock lines or bumpers to mess with. She comes in, spins the boat, glides in backwards to the dock, uses the right amount of thrust to hold position just long enough for me to step off, then motors away. Super quick and painless for us, and keeps the courtesy dock clear for others. There isn't another boat on the water that I've EVER seen do that, and IMO speaks the significant maneuverability advantage of a jet over other drive systems........ONCE you've mastered it.

I tell everyone that will listen to me (and some that won't). Jets have a bad reputation for maneuverability because people to expect them to drive like a car. It's not a car, it'll never be a car, and to expect it to drive like one is absurd. It drives like a boat, a very "loose" boat. You wouldn't get in a tracked vehicle like a tank and expect to have the same controls, same turning radius, or same driving dynamics would you? Ever driven a Zero Turn mower? Wasn't like a car, wasn't like a boat. It's not bad, it's just different. Once you get the premise that it's just different, and you have to control it differently, it's an amazingly capable platform with a ridiculously simple and robust drivetrain.
great post! Thank you 👍🏻👍🏻

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I love my 242 and have also owned a mid 70s Glastron with a 455 Olds and a Berkely jet but the OP does have a point. Why should the stock steering and low speed handling on a brand new 2020 Boat be so bad that we all rush out to buy aftermarket products? I use my boat in NJ and fight swift currents and have also used it on Lake Lewisville in TX. Night and day difference between the swift tidal currents and a lake where you may or may not only deal with winds. I was at the Deauville Inn in Strathmere last weekend, wicked current mid tide, and the dock guys want the Jet Boats to wait for outside slips only - they have seen our beloved Yamahas at the mercy of the currents.

For all those saying just practice I respond that yes practice helps but a 4 KT cross current pushing you away from the dock with some winds will be more than the boat can handle. Inside slips in a 4kt current - don't even try it. Yes you can always make it to an outside dock but the boat may not have the capability to overcome the current and hold position - you have 1 or 2 seconds to get your lines secured or you are at the mercy of the currents. Stock reverse is a joke - both of the aftermarket upgrades help quite a bit, I have bought both and they are definitely worth it but I have backed out of the dock with a full turn in and the boat does not turn at all but backs out at the mercy of the currents/wind. a 27' boat should have some kind of sideways thrust system stock to help with steering.

Bottom line is impellers with a about an 8 inch diameter in a tube pushing water through a diverter are a far cry from propellers with a 14" diameter that reverses instantly and at low speed has close to 100 % efficiency. Yamaha can and should do better.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oddly the boats today steer better than when I first started making steering for them nearly 2 decades ago, but still not even close to what I can do for them currently . From around the dock to wide open and everywhere in between even off power . So remember jets push and props pull. Big difference.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Today I finally have the longer tie rod for the new 27 foot boats so any of my ak-19 systems be it the super magnum ak-19 super magnum ak-19 deluxe or the super ultimate ak-19 or ak-19 deluxe are now compatible with the new 27 foot boats if you wish to purchase this or have questions about what one is best for your boating needs feel free to email me jeff@cobrajetsteering.com I only have a limited supply of these special tie rods on hand the systems are all exactly the same just the tie rod was longer by 6 inches, so now you can improve the boats steering around the dock or in rough conditions even steer better at top speed and everywhere in between.

Last edited:

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
jeff, i may be in touch. i have a set of your fins on my 232 limited and they worked wonders on that boat. i am selling that boat now and i just put my deposit in on a 275sd. i want to get it in the water and see how it is a slow speeds. im sure its better then my 232 was stock but still probably going to need a set of fins.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Don't buy unless you have paddle throttles . This boat sucks in low speed maneuvering or parking.
Give these a try!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Or put real full time steering with the most features and benefits available in the industry 20 years of experience and 5 US patents high speed slow speed balanced steering with the patented second tie rod, adjustable tempered aluminum laser cut adjustable with plaining surfaces for faster hole shot and a smoother ride plus a cleaner wake for watersport activities. And you can maintain control of your boat without thrust and all without increasing the draft of the boat and NO plastic parts, all that for only $489.99 and free priority mail in the U S A, do you want a flip phone or a smart phone.

Attachments

Judge

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I know this is a very old thread but I've had a Berkley Jet and an SX192 and the Cobra Jet Fins. I just put a deposit down on the 275SD so I am reading all the threads I can find.

I will probably add the Lateral Thrusters and maybe the Thrust Vectors; especially with the August Promo...... but I came across this video and this is what practice and confidence can do for anyone. He has nothing aftermarket installed. I don't think too many people with outboard or an I/O could do what this guy did in his AR210 in the same conditions. Granted looks like no wind or current but this is still dang impressive.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know this is a very old thread but I've had a Berkley Jet and an SX192 and the Cobra Jet Fins. I just put a deposit down on the 275SD so I am reading all the threads I can find.

I will probably add the Lateral Thrusters and maybe the Thrust Vectors; especially with the August Promo...... but I came across this video and this is what practice and confidence can do for anyone. He has nothing aftermarket installed. I don't think too many people with outboard or an I/O could do what this guy did in his AR210 in the same conditions. Granted looks like no wind or current but this is still dang impressive.

This guy does a great job driving it using both throttles…if you split the throttles there’s more agility without the forward and backward movement. However once it gets too windy you have to drive it like the guy in the vid.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length

you wont need the lateral thrusters at all with the 275sd. i have never needed them and with the paddles on the wheel i have never had a need to split the throttles to spin on axis. my 232 however i would split the throttles all the time. in fact with the paddles this is the first twin engine boat i have never need to split the throttle with. you will need some steering fins though because in true yamaha fashion the boat will tend to slither back and forth through the water at slow speed.

Judge

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip!

I washed the boattest.com video of using the paddles around the dock and it was pretty impressive.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Those and the hardtop are the best thing about the boat imo.

Judge

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I thought the hard top was pretty sweet and one of the reasons I went 275 vs 252.