• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

5.6 or 4 qt oil change

For the TR-1 engines, you check them with the engines running, either on a hose and level trailer, or in the water.

That is the first time I have seen that? I don't check mine with the engines running?

get nearly all the oil out of my MR-1's... just replace the pan drain with a banjo bolt some marine 1/4" fuel hose and a bulkhead bung takes 5 min an engine... use a rubber tip on your wand to avoid damaging the screen, suck 2.5 Qts outta the tank, connect the pump to the oil pan drain and another quart or so comes out... I find its actually better to have the back of the engines slightly lower..

I use one of these:

2771-20_2.png

That is the first time I have seen that? I don't check mine with the engines running?
Yeah that sounded weird so I just checked the manual again because something was bugging me about it, and I found this tip for the TR-1:

TIP: _________________________
● When checking the engine oil level on land,
the engine must be running while water is
being supplied to the cooling water passages.
(See “Flushing the Cooling System” on page
154 for information on supplying water.).

It's a confusing tip in the manual...suggesting the engines should be running when you check the oil but it means you need to run it on a hose to warm it up before checking. In the next paragraph it has the procedure to check the oil with the engines off. The tip is misleading info and I must have been thinking about the tip when I posted...maybe I was sleepy at the time too. LOL
I went to the post to see if I could edit it, but it won't let me...too old? I'll report it to get an admin to delete it.

No worries..... I thought there was something new :)

you do not have TR1 engines that is the older engines

The MR-1's have the dry sump and the dipstick is on the oil cooler, not in the block. I always checked mine while running or within a few seconds of shutting down. If you wait too long the oil level will drop to the bottom of the dipstick. That is how/why people overfill the oil.

Last edited:
Yeah that sounded weird so I just checked the manual again because something was bugging me about it, and I found this tip for the TR-1:

TIP: _________________________
● When checking the engine oil level on land,
the engine must be running while water is
being supplied to the cooling water passages.
(See “Flushing the Cooling System” on page
154 for information on supplying water.).

It's a confusing tip in the manual...suggesting the engines should be running when you check the oil but it means you need to run it on a hose to warm it up before checking. In the next paragraph it has the procedure to check the oil with the engines off. The tip is misleading info and I must have been thinking about the tip when I posted...maybe I was sleepy at the time too. LOL
I went to the post to see if I could edit it, but it won't let me...too old? I'll report it to get an admin to delete it.
I think they mean to warm up the engines and then check the oil. I have been servicing engines for years and oil dipsticks are designed to read the oil level in the pan. If the engine is running, your oil level will not only be low due to circulation but you will never get a clear line on the dipstick.

Back