1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. Reminder of the Seadeck group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until SEPTEMBER 30th to get in on this group buy - which HAS ALREADY reached the 30% discount point!

So if you are looking to replace that old worn or stinky carpeting and get an awesome new look for your boat, or perhaps your stock swim platform is crumbling and leaving black crap on you and your guests when you sit on it.....look no further! Don't miss this opportunity as this only happens once a year!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Dismiss Notice

96 HobieJet 95XR only starts with "manual choke"

Discussion in 'Other Boats' started by wahlspyder, Aug 20, 2017.

1. wahlspyder

wahlspyder New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Other
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    Mercury 95XR. Seems to be pumping fuel fine. If I cover the carbs with my hand, it will start, then i can take my hands away and it runs. Every time it is shut off it needs the "hand" choke. Carb issue? Reed valves? It has the auto enrichener, but no electric choke. The resistance of the auto enrich valve is 26 with my cheap meter (manual specifies 18-20 ohms cold and near infinity hot)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Bruce

Bruce Jetboaters Fleet Admiral Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,680 / 48
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    I was going to suggest that it is a carb issue but you already figured that out. Hopefully your knowledge of rebuilding carbs is greater than mine.

3. wahlspyder

wahlspyder New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Other
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    Guess I'll pull them apart and see what I can find. I imagine I'll find something plugged.

4. Bruce

Bruce Jetboaters Fleet Admiral Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,680 / 48
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
  5. Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Cobra Jet Steering LLC Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 34
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    Not familiar with that motor but if it has no choke and it uses some sort of fuel primer, I would look for why it won't work obviously that is the first culprit

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Cobra Jet Steering LLC Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 34
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    also a lot of older 2 stroke skies used a manual primer so perhaps he can find one and convert to a manual fuel primer to start the engine if he can't fix the original one

• Like Like x 1
  7. Speedling

Speedling Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +2,861 / 21
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SS
    Boat Length:
    If i can bug my buddy tomorrow I will explain this hand choke thing to him and he may have an answer. He's a great knowledgable guy that has fixed every motor I could have imagined. I haven't heard of an auto enrichener but I am going to guess it's a vacuum based system to feed more fuel as needed. How does the choke work on the motor?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Speedling

Speedling Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +2,861 / 21
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SS
    Boat Length:
  9. wahlspyder

wahlspyder New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Other
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    Not sure how the auto-enricher works. It has a slide that looks like the slide on a motorcycle carb. There is a paraffin pill inside that melts to allow it to move. The specs say that the resistance through the valve should be 18-20 ohms when cold and near infinity when the engine is hot. I got somewhere around 26 ohms on a 90 degree day. The auto enricher is mounted to the reed valve assembly it looks like according to the manual. That was why i asked if maybe it was a problem there. It also has a primer bulb inline between the tank and the fuel pump. I can see through the inline filter between the pump and the carb that it is getting fuel to the carbs.

10. Jgorm

Jgorm Active Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 10
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I'd guess the jets are clogged, or the float is low. Too little fuel cause it to lean misfire until you manually choke it to richen it up.

11. wahlspyder

wahlspyder New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Other
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    Once it starts,it seems to run well. It just isn't rich enough to start

12. wahlspyder

wahlspyder New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Other
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    Took carbs off, cleaned them, blew air through everything. Got some crud out. Put everything back together and it seems to be good. Fingers crossed

• Like Like x 1
  13. wahlspyder

wahlspyder New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Other
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    Took it out for the first time. Very pleased. Thanks to all who contributed!

• Winner Winner x 1