• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

96 HobieJet 95XR only starts with "manual choke"

wahlspyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Mercury 95XR. Seems to be pumping fuel fine. If I cover the carbs with my hand, it will start, then i can take my hands away and it runs. Every time it is shut off it needs the "hand" choke. Carb issue? Reed valves? It has the auto enrichener, but no electric choke. The resistance of the auto enrich valve is 26 with my cheap meter (manual specifies 18-20 ohms cold and near infinity hot)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was going to suggest that it is a carb issue but you already figured that out. Hopefully your knowledge of rebuilding carbs is greater than mine.

wahlspyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Guess I'll pull them apart and see what I can find. I imagine I'll find something plugged.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not familiar with that motor but if it has no choke and it uses some sort of fuel primer, I would look for why it won't work obviously that is the first culprit

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
also a lot of older 2 stroke skies used a manual primer so perhaps he can find one and convert to a manual fuel primer to start the engine if he can't fix the original one

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Mercury 95XR. Seems to be pumping fuel fine. If I cover the carbs with my hand, it will start, then i can take my hands away and it runs. Every time it is shut off it needs the "hand" choke. Carb issue? Reed valves? It has the auto enrichener, but no electric choke. The resistance of the auto enrich valve is 26 with my cheap meter (manual specifies 18-20 ohms cold and near infinity hot)
If i can bug my buddy tomorrow I will explain this hand choke thing to him and he may have an answer. He's a great knowledgable guy that has fixed every motor I could have imagined. I haven't heard of an auto enrichener but I am going to guess it's a vacuum based system to feed more fuel as needed. How does the choke work on the motor?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Last edited:

wahlspyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not sure how the auto-enricher works. It has a slide that looks like the slide on a motorcycle carb. There is a paraffin pill inside that melts to allow it to move. The specs say that the resistance through the valve should be 18-20 ohms when cold and near infinity when the engine is hot. I got somewhere around 26 ohms on a 90 degree day. The auto enricher is mounted to the reed valve assembly it looks like according to the manual. That was why i asked if maybe it was a problem there. It also has a primer bulb inline between the tank and the fuel pump. I can see through the inline filter between the pump and the carb that it is getting fuel to the carbs.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd guess the jets are clogged, or the float is low. Too little fuel cause it to lean misfire until you manually choke it to richen it up.

wahlspyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Once it starts,it seems to run well. It just isn't rich enough to start

wahlspyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Took carbs off, cleaned them, blew air through everything. Got some crud out. Put everything back together and it seems to be good. Fingers crossed

wahlspyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Took it out for the first time. Very pleased. Thanks to all who contributed!

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Make sure you have the throttle rigged properly.
For t he enriching system to work the butterflies must be completely closed per the manual.
If they are cracked open then the enrichment valve will not work.
The control must be in the center idle position.

JRicketts1964

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have the same engine in my Hobbie jet. I'm getting water into the bottom two cylinders.

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do a search here for my posts n water in cylinders.
I found that on my motor the problem was the base gasket letting water leak from the exhaust water jacket where the cooling water from the jet pump comes in through the no longer used 3/4" hole in the front bottom of the water jacket under the base and into the exhaust area.
In my case the block had been replaced with the gasket for an outboard that was probably sent with the overhaul kit and it does not seal the passage.
I filled that hole with JB Weld and later replaced the incorrect gasket with the proper one.
It took a heck of a lot of looking to find the problem.
My suspicion is that occurs a lot when the engines are worked on over the years.
Of course it is also possible that there is a gasket leak on the exhaust manifold cover or head gasket, but that was not the case on my engine(s).
Many probably have that issue as they say that the engine will fill the bottom cylinders on the service adapter and hose if the water is started before the engine. My engine used to do that, but not after I fixed the real problem.20200513_110048.jpg20180109_105409.jpg20200511_125503.jpg6-sport-jet-installation-5-728 (2).jpg