• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Aargh... Milkshake Engine Oil... WTF? (Port Engine, 2016 AR240, ~300 hrs)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep. But, you’re talking 2 different warranties.

this one requires service logs and receipts for product to prove that you only used their oil. (From what I remember)
Thanks. I couldn’t remember exactly where it was from but I know I didn’t dream reading it.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Was that running on the hose ?
Were those general images?
The pin point measurement would be on the exhaust manifold . If there is a breach the exhaust discharge blows into the water jacket and small amounts of water make it into the cylinder down past the rings and into the oil . It's not a guarantee but could help to check . Unfortunately the TR1 exhaust manifold is on the opposite side and could require more work to pull off and check if you get the dreaded milk shake again

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, so some (not so good) update.

I ran out of work today, picked the boat up at the SCBM and ran to the closes ramp, Hideaway Harbor on the Mississippi.
It was a bit chilly, I was not exactly dressed for boating as I ran out without a coat, a beautiful day otherwise...
I was cold as heck after few minutes of riding, still enjoyed the beautiful bluffs and Grafton, IL - in the background.

I started with clean oil, after the SCBM replaced and flushed the engine, they used some 40 qts to get that done.
Both engines started with no hesitation and worked just fine to my ear, no funny noises, seem as normal, no rpm drop (I had the RideStready off and the sync off so that I would be able to see any RPM drop, there was none.
Per Jerry's advice, I ran the boat for about 10 min at midrange, keeping the rpm somewhere 5,500-5,800. He advised I then check the oil and if everything looks good, proceed to WOT for few minutes and check again.

Unfortunately, the milkshake returned after the first 10 min at midrange, so I limped back with the port (affected) engine at idle, running high on the strbd engine.

Basically, that indicates water intrusion due to something cracked, not just blocked exhaust or water backing up.
Not much progress I guess but enough for the SCBM to now call Yamaha and get them involved, see what they say.

I'm super bummed, having the boat in this kind of predicament is driving me crazy. But, I'm also very encouraged and grateful for the dealer's posture! both Jerry (the owner) and Pat (the master Yamaha mechanic) seem committed to figure this out, I don't think they a going to leave me hanging out to dry. I just need to be patient, which is hard, lol.

--

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Easiest and most likely would be the exhaust manifold, next would be head. Best of Luck!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Easiest and most likely would be the exhaust manifold, next would be head. Best of Luck!
At this point they said they want to hear from Yamaha, which I think is a good idea.
A corrosion crack/damage of the exhaust (such as what @Cambo posted - the pics) I would think that would be rather crazy in a 3.5 year fresh water boat, but who knows. Oil cooler crack, a possibility, would probably be the least expansive. IDK.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, so some (not so good) update.

I ran out of work today, picked the boat up at the SCBM and ran to the closes ramp, Hideaway Harbor on the Mississippi.
It was a bit chilly, I was not exactly dressed for boating as I ran out without a coat, a beautiful day otherwise...
I was cold as heck after few minutes of riding, still enjoyed the beautiful bluffs and Grafton, IL - in the background.
View attachment 108799

I started with clean oil, after the SCBM replaced and flushed the engine, they used some 40 qts to get that done.
Both engines started with no hesitation and worked just fine to my ear, no funny noises, seem as normal, no rpm drop (I had the RideStready off and the sync off so that I would be able to see any RPM drop, there was none.
Per Jerry's advice, I ran the boat for about 10 min at midrange, keeping the rpm somewhere 5,500-5,800. He advised I then check the oil and if everything looks good, proceed to WOT for few minutes and check again.

Unfortunately, the milkshake returned after the first 10 min at midrange, so I limped back with the port (affected) engine at idle, running high on the strbd engine.

Basically, that indicates water intrusion due to something cracked, not just blocked exhaust or water backing up.
Not much progress I guess but enough for the SCBM to now call Yamaha and get them involved, see what they say.

I'm super bummed, having the boat in this kind of predicament is driving me crazy. But, I'm also very encouraged and grateful for the dealer's posture! both Jerry (the owner) and Pat (the master Yamaha mechanic) seem committed to figure this out, I don't think they a going to leave me hanging out to dry. I just need to be patient, which is hard, lol.

--
The fact it occurred during normal operation this time with no surfing involved is encouraging in that regard. Best of luck as you proceed. 🤞

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Ugh - sorry man, this sucks - hope they get it figured out and Yamaha comes through for you.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that this frustrating issue is still going on. The dealer didn’t pressure test the oil cooler ? I’m not sure about the Tr1 but it is easy on the mr1 . Your boat is under warranty? If so you should have nothing to worry about.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fact it occurred during normal operation this time with no surfing involved is encouraging in that regard. Best of luck as you proceed. 🤞
Yes, that was revealing as it clearly demonstrates something's cracked, this is not just water backing up due to boat pitch/list, exhaust obstruction etc. etc..

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, that was revealing as it clearly demonstrates something's cracked, this is not just water backing up due to boat pitch/list, exhaust obstruction etc. etc..

--
Sorry to hear this but we still look forward to finding out the root cause.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that this frustrating issue is still going on. The dealer didn’t pressure test the oil cooler ? I’m not sure about the Tr1 but it is easy on the mr1 . Your boat is under warranty? If so you should have nothing to worry about.
They did not check the cooler, yet. I think it is next on the list unless they get other instructions from the Yamaha (if any?). We will see.
I think they followed the most logical path so far, flushing the engine and then running basic compression and leak down tests, examining spark plugs etc. to check for any more obvious issues.

I'm curious what will happen with Yamaha, the boat is under factory YES, they brought up the issue of the oil (not OEM) but I never had that Yamaha oil warranty anyway so that is kind of a moot point. Jerry feels strongly the OEM oil is best for those engines, as opposed to full synthetics. That said, Amsoil Marine 10W40 I use certainly meets the criteria in the manual and no one would argue it is the source of the issues here. Both Amsoil and OEM oils seem to foam in my port engine.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear this but we still look forward to finding out the root cause.
Yessir. I'm happy we are at least moving along. After Patrick checked the alignment and integrity of tail-end plastic piping/water box exhaust system he ran the engine for quite some time, with clean oil (after extensive oil flush), and found no foaming. So, foaming during water test is telling.

--

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since I'm no mechanic I'm just trying to add what I learned from my experience with this similar issue. I don't recall reading whether your mechanic did pressure test the head similar to what my mechanic performed. It seems more involved to create the adapter plates etc but it did pinpoint my head crack and leak.

We are making the adapter plates so we can isolate the engine from the exhaust to determine if it is cracked leading to the milky oil. If the engine holds pressure then we know it is not the problem. If it does not hold pressure some further tests can isolate where the issue is. With a good running engine that is getting milky oil the culprit is more than likely a crack below the cylinders where the oil and water can meet.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I'm no mechanic I'm just trying to add what I learned from my experience with this similar issue. I don't recall reading whether your mechanic did pressure test the head similar to what my mechanic performed. It seems more involved to create the adapter plates etc but it did pinpoint my head crack and leak.

We are making the adapter plates so we can isolate the engine from the exhaust to determine if it is cracked leading to the milky oil. If the engine holds pressure then we know it is not the problem. If it does not hold pressure some further tests can isolate where the issue is. With a good running engine that is getting milky oil the culprit is more than likely a crack below the cylinders where the oil and water can meet.
Thank you, very helpful point. They have not gone as far as that, my understanding is only basic compression/leak down tests where conducted so far, I think he checked for any air escaping, hiss, and found none so probably not a leaky head gasket (?) but I could not speak to what's exactly been done.

EDIT: he also mentioned using soapy water, when looking for leaks. I guess around the head gasket?

--

Last edited:

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So sorry to hear that. It is very disappointing. I was so excited for an update. Hopefully, it will all be covered under the extended warranty. Now I am rethinking if I should have taken out the YES. I did not. Keep us posted and good luck!

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @swatski sorry to hear it wasn’t solved, keeping fingers crossed they find the issue quick and Yamaha takes care of it and u and ur Ohana r back out on the water. Well when it warms up.🙏🏽🤙🏽

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like something out of a Bond movie.
Right?! 👨‍💼 The trailer for the new bond movie though...🔥🔥 am I right? Lol!

And back to the news... 💁‍♂️