• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding a 2nd battery

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have added some amps and want to add a second battery now. I have read a number of posts here and it sounds like I will go with a switch that includes an ACR so both batteries can charge. I will also want to add an onboard 2 bank charger.

Can you help prescribe some good options for equipment? I see the following and want to see if I should be considering something else:
1) Switch - Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems Mini Add-A-Battery Kit - 65A : Boating Electrical Equipment : Sports & Outdoors
2) 2 Bank on board charger - Amazon.com: ProMariner 43012 ProSport 12 12 Amp, 12/24 Volt, 2 Bank Generation 3 Battery Charger: Sports & Outdoors
3) Extension cord for thru hull connect - https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GCP1-16-Inch-Integrated-Extension/dp/B009ANV81S/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/130-3573121-4147630?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009ANV81S&pd_rd_r=9d0f7223-c467-4a48-8c90-787a7f048a8c&pd_rd_w=Yj1OT&pd_rd_wg=pmoDI&pf_rd_p=7a6bc5c0-cfeb-4154-b2f9-fb32e87e9c63&pf_rd_r=W725T0KBM30CAB8DTXJD&psc=1&refRID=W725T0KBM30CAB8DTXJD

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did dual Duracell Group 31 batteries as suggested on this forum, and kept stock interstate battery for house. Duracell batteries are strictly for sound system. Perko switch to control. Duracells on #1 House on #2. When driving I'm in "ALL" When at sand bar I'm on #1. House battery always fresh and ready to go. Did 7 hours yesterday at sand bar full volume 800 watts rms. 11.7 volts all day out of the Duracells. Went to leave switched over to "ALL" she fired right up. Got home and plugged in the Noco Genius Mini 3 to charge all batteries

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did dual Duracell Group 31 batteries as suggested on this forum, and kept stock interstate battery for house. Duracell batteries are strictly for sound system. Perko switch to control. Duracells on #1 House on #2. When driving I'm in "ALL" When at sand bar I'm on #1. House battery always fresh and ready to go. Did 7 hours yesterday at sand bar full volume 800 watts rms. 11.7 volts all day out of the Duracells. Went to leave switched over to "ALL" she fired right up. Got home and plugged in the Noco Genius Mini 3 to charge all batteries
Thank you. What switch are you using? Did you install an onboard charger?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you. What switch are you using? Did you install an onboard charger?
My switch is a Perko
20191001_172423.jpg

On board charger is a Noco Genius Mini 3

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My switch is a Perko
View attachment 119411

On board charger is a Noco Genius Mini 3
Thank you, this went in place of the OEM switch and bolted in the same spot? There looks like an option with an ACR that doesn't require switching to charge the batteries (auto...). Did you consider this and any reason I should not go that route?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you, this went in place of the OEM switch and bolted in the same spot? There looks like an option with an ACR that doesn't require switching to charge the batteries (auto...). Did you consider this and any reason I should not go that route?
It did go in factory location for me. Had to put in new holes obviously though. The boat can't charge all three batteries with the stator though. This is why I went Noco Genius so I can keep a full charge when not on the water. After 7 hours of full stereo pumping last Sunday I still had 11.7 volts showing on conext screen. Obviously it jumps up to 13 something when running, but not enough to charge all batteries. Normally fully charged in 24 hours with the Noco though

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have the Blue Seas add a batter switch with ACR. I have 3 Optima blue tops. (2 wired together on side 2 for stereo and 1 isolated on side 1 for the house). Likewise have the Genius Noco 3 bank charger. I run 4 Rev10's, 4 650's and 2 subs for about 3 full days on the water before needing a recharge. Can't go wrong with the blue tops.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It did go in factory location for me. Had to put in new holes obviously though. The boat can't charge all three batteries with the stator though. This is why I went Noco Genius so I can keep a full charge when not on the water. After 7 hours of full stereo pumping last Sunday I still had 11.7 volts showing on conext screen. Obviously it jumps up to 13 something when running, but not enough to charge all batteries. Normally fully charged in 24 hours with the Noco though
Hoyt, your connext screen only shows the voltage for your starter/house battery, right? How do you monitor the voltage of your Duracell/Stereo set of batteries?

I am leaning towards using the same set up although with just a 2 battery config. The ACR sounds complicated and with our limited stators and the fact that I will use an onboard charger, I think the simple switch should do the trick. I also have a lithium jump pack so I should be covered....

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hoyt, your connext screen only shows the voltage for your starter/house battery, right? How do you monitor the voltage of your Duracell/Stereo set of batteries?

I am leaning towards using the same set up although with just a 2 battery config. The ACR sounds complicated and with our limited stators and the fact that I will use an onboard charger, I think the simple switch should do the trick. I also have a lithium jump pack so I should be covered....
The conext shows total voltage I belive. So whatever switch is currently on it shows.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I also have the Blue Seas add a batter switch with ACR. I have 3 Optima blue tops. (2 wired together on side 2 for stereo and 1 isolated on side 1 for the house). Likewise have the Genius Noco 3 bank charger. I run 4 Rev10's, 4 650's and 2 subs for about 3 full days on the water before needing a recharge. Can't go wrong with the blue tops.
Considering the Blue Seas add a battery switch with ACR for my 195s. Also looking at the Noco Genius charger. Would be great to see a pic/diagram of your setup. My goal is an "on" and forget until i pull out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ACR is not complicated, and I highly recommend it. That way you don't have to be switching all the time. Turn on when you get in the boat and then turn off when you are done. I recommend the Blue Seas Add A Battery with ACR. It is what I use.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Either the Blue Sea ACR or BEP VSR will do the trick.

I'd get the combo that comes with the switch and the relay. The BEP is rated for 140A which is plenty, the Blue Sea M-ACR is rated 65 A which should be ok for 2 engines (2 x 30A). The Blue Sea ACR is much larger, but is good for 120A.

If you have the space, getting the cluster from BEP does keep everything nice and neat and allows you turn enable each battery separately.

Blue Seas has some great wiring diagrams, which could be used with either brand system:

Do you use a shore power battery charger? If so, you need either the ACR enabled through the ignition circuit OR the ACR wired on the load side of the switches. If you wire the ACR on the battery side of the switch and you have a 2 bank charger, the ACR will combine the battery as soon as AC charge is applied and both batteries will be in parallel, loosing the advantage of a 2 bank charger. You could use this wiring method with a 1 bank charger if desired.

You'll need a good quality lug crimper and heat shrink tubing that has the adhesive inside it. Test each crimp. Don't skimp, get good quality marine grade lugs as well.

For my 195, I went with the ACR Mini add a battery kit, due to limited mounting space. I can't enable each battery seperately, but I can parallel them in an emergency.

Last edited:

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Either the Blue Sea ACR or BEP VSR will do the trick.

I'd get the combo that comes with the switch and the relay. The BEP is rated for 140A which is plenty, the Blue Sea M-ACR is rated 65 A which should be ok for 2 engines (2 x 30A). The Blue Sea ACR is much larger, but is good for 120A.

If you have the space, getting the cluster from BEP does keep everything nice and neat and allows you turn enable each battery separately.

Blue Seas has some great wiring diagrams, which could be used with either brand system:

Do you use a shore power battery charger? If so, you need either the ACR enabled through the ignition circuit OR the ACR wired on the load side of the switches. If you wire the ACR on the battery side of the switch and you have a 2 bank charger, the ACR will combine the battery as soon as AC charge is applied and both batteries will be in parallel, loosing the advantage of a 2 bank charger. You could use this wiring method with a 1 bank charger if desired.

You'll need a good quality lug crimper and heat shrink tubing that has the adhesive inside it. Test each crimp. Don't skimp, get good quality marine grade lugs as well.

For my 195, I went with the ACR Mini add a battery kit, due to limited mounting space. I can't enable each battery seperately, but I can parallel them in an emergency.

Thank you good info. I currently use a shore battery charger,, but would like to add the Noco charger where i only have to plug in the extension cord..