• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advice on best conceal carry accessories and practices

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My perspective was dramatically changed this week when two of my close friends and colleagues were shot multiple times in a location we all deemed safe from a person we did not previously fear. While the first friend was shot as a target of the shooter, the second was shot while trying to protect without access to equal force. What ended the danger was a small 2 shot pocket gun, while much less power than the shooter still had it was enough. I knew this world is dangerous, however always viewed that danger far from my world. My perspective is now permanently altered.

I’ve held an LTC conceal carry permit for over two years, while never practicing. I hunt and shoot often, but never everyday carry. My friend involved held an LTC but also had yet to practice on a daily basis. In hindsight it’s clear to us that if the evil deadly force was met with equal good deadly force, the outcome would have been much better. Still tragic, however the damage would have been more fairly assigned.

I now plan to do the hard work of maintaining access to my weapon in all situations possible. Not to be cocky, or brandish weapons. To the contrary, I pray to never show it, and never need to pull it during a moment of force.

I need recommendations from those of you carrying on a daily basis. Majority of the time I wear jeans and cowboy boots. Often with tucked in dress shirts, partly with untucked shirts. My laptop backpack is with me always. Never more than 50’ from me. It will be my primary carry location. When away from backpack, I’m considering an in boot carry and an in waist carry like below.

Please understand I’m not looking to debate the political perspective of more or less guns in society. If it wanders into a political battle I will respectfully delete the whole thread.

I am simply looking for a review of best equipment and best practices regarding conceal carry. I’m looking for first hand experience with what works and what simply does not. This forum excels in this exact practice.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for experiencd. My wife Carrie's ever since working bank and being robbed at gun point. She even carried into work while still employed there.

This world is a messed up place. I keep one in my truck at all times when working.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Personally, I would much prefer to carry on my person than in a separate bag. Speed of access in a bag seems very questionable. Also, with laptops being a theft target, I wouldn't want to risk my firearm becoming a "bonus prize" for a thief. I use a Vedder Light Tuck IWB holster when carrying. Works very well - excellent retention, highly adjustable, comfortable - but I can't pull it off with a tucked in shirt. However, both my pistol and me are a bit on the thick side.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve been looking at the ruger lcp 380 or 9 mm. Sorry for your loss.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about what happened! This is of course a pretty broad/extensive topic but I'll throw in my 2 cents..

Far as firearm, I would say whatever is comfortable enough that you will carry everywhere you legally can, and of course in a caliber and platform (revolver, 1911, polymer striker fired, dao semi auto, etc.) that allows you to put quick accurate shots on target. That being said, an edc gun should be put through at least a couple hundred rounds (beyond break-in) of whatever you're going to carry in the gun to help ensure reliability. Everyone has their favorite brands.

Personally, I carry anything from a pocket 380acp in warm weather, up to owb strong side holstered 45acp 1911 if I have more garments covering. Also be mindful of over penetration. Probably don't want to carry a 44mag in urban/suburban areas.
I personally like owb holsters if possible since for me they allow quick access and work with my larger (read fatter) body type. Many folks love iwb holsters by brands like cross breed, etc.. tons of choices.

I'm licensed to carry in MI and DC as well as all reciprocal jurisdictions, but that training is only the beginning imho. Training obviously is critical and training under stress or in a timed situation/scenario helps. There are a ton of great training options. Personally, as a grad of massad ayoob's mag40 course (looking to take mag80 hopefully soon), I highly recommend his training as it's really comprehensive in both classroom and range. Lots of info on legal aspects and ramifications, psychological, aftermath, mindset, etc. Plus 500 rounds and 20 hours range time. This link has more details MAG40 - Massad Ayoob Group . Only drawback of Mas' training, is it's not cheap and there are limited dates each year.

Finally, I would recommend having a good lawyer who specializes in cases of defensive use of lethal force and some kind of plan to help with costs if possible. Organizations like the armed citizens legal defense network (ACLDN) and/or uscca (USCCA: Self-Defense Education, Training, & Legal Protection) are good options and there are others as well.

This just scratches the surface really, but hope some of it helps. Always be aware and stay safe!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Personally, I would much prefer to carry on my person than in a separate bag. Speed of access in a bag seems very questionable. Also, with laptops being a theft target, I wouldn't want to risk my firearm becoming a "bonus prize" for a thief. I use a Vedder Light Tuck IWB holster when carrying. Works very well - excellent retention, highly adjustable, comfortable - but I can't pull it off with a tucked in shirt. However, both my pistol and me are a bit on the thick side.
I carry my .45 with the same holster. My 9 fits it as well but it's a 3 inch so I carry it in my pocket. I dont carry my sig 220 but it is a extremely nice truck gun in my safe. @Markk so sorry to hear of the unfortunate cirsumstance. Practice draws and range practice. My go to carrys are Springfield xds, good gun that is all work. The dual safety, Imho makes it a great carry gun. I have many guns but only carry these. I personally would not carry in a back pack. There would be such a delay for access. I typically carry my xd9 3" in my pocket. It is decently easy to conceal in a pocket and also retrieve from "my" pocket. I wear boots as well and a boot gun would not be my option. It would be to hard to retrieve in a pinch. Waistband and pocket is my choice. Your hands are not that far from it.

I will add I have never been in a circumstance that you have, so I truly dont dont how I would react. You might be a better gauge of what you need than anyone else.

Last edited:

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you mention theft of bag from a cost perspective or liability of gun getting out there? My laptop bag was stolen 2 yrs ago and the loss was $3000. (I carry a lot of expensive items). Adding $500 gun to that loss doesn’t bother me, however maybe the liability side is greater than just reporting gun stolen?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not really thinking about the $ value of the loss or monetary liability. More worried about the gun ending up in the hands of a criminal.

NorfolkJames

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m firmly in the OWB full size pistol camp with a long shirt. I have my holsters custom made by Dara Holsters.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
OWB is likely the most comfortable and best access. Just a compromise on concealment / risk of exposure. In some places that is less of a big deal than others. Here in CA, you definitely don't want to have your gun seen.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My condolences to you. I have carried for almost 30 years due to work. My advice, carry no less than .380 and 9mm is better. Above all is really what's most comfortable. Many people will say carry biggest caliber, large capacity, IMHO it's not real practical. If I carry now it's a Sig P938 9mm in an appendix carry holster or Glock 27 in .40 cal. Glock 43 is a great option as well. The most important factor in a situation is first hitting the target and second is hitting center mass/vital organs. That only happens thru training and stress management in a situation. I'd rather hit em 7 times with a 9mm than blow 15 rnds of .45 downrange into the wind. I think you will find ankle holster or boot carry will drive you crazy and is really hard to access. Just my opinion and every one has one. Good luck and stay safe.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
MTAC (Alienware I think?) is my go to IWB carry for an H&K USP .45 compact. Use a good hollow point, I have even seen “defensive” rounds that are like mini shotgun shells, though I like the stopping power of a .45. 94523

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I typically carry a Kimber Micro 9 and switch off between a Muddy River IWB holster and a belly band. One nice thing about the belly band is that it can be used across a range of gun sizes and comes with a spare mag pouch. You can wear it high, low or in between and any position that works for you. I tend to stick with appendix area. I'll typically use the belly band when I want to carry a Glock 19 with a spare mag.

All I can say is train, train, train, and train some more and spend time with a qualified instructor. Preferably a current or former LEO.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe I was being naive thinking I would have time to bend over, pull pant leg up, draw and stand back up. Or run over 25’ and pull from bag. In our recent ordeal with 3 people trying to talk shooter down before actual shots, I feel like I would’ve had this time. Also his focus was shifting around between multiple parties.

With your responses I’m realizing I must consider a situation one on one where threat never takes his eyes off of you. In this case, time required to pull gun would be pivotal. Location of gun would be pivotal.

Also in a waist carry, you could likely still pull post the first shot hitting you.

I appreciate the candor and detailed responses you guys are providing.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think you are on the right track. I’m not a lawyer or a LEO but I would say that if you are able to run to a different location and retrieve a gun then return to the situation and engage in a shooting, you will have a very hard time characterizing it as a “defensive” shooting.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMO, carrying off-body adds more variables to a potential situation where you will want as few variables as possible to aid you in a hopefully successful outcome. What if the zipper on your bag jams? What if the holster moved, and the grip isn't easily accessible now? What if you drop the bag when going for your gun? What if you never make it to the bag?

I know that's a lot of what ifs, but there's probably more, and like I said, you're wanting a good outcome, and every possibility only adds uncertainty to the mix.

I'm a fat guy, and I carry a Glock 19 inside waistband, with a Crossbreed Super Tuck holster. I buy one size larger for pants, and I use 1/4" thick belts from Bullhide Belts to keep everything in place. I've also got a Springfield XDS, but I'm not as accurate or comfortable with it as a carry weapon. Go to a range in your area so you can test a number of guns, and choose something you are comfortable with and can operate easily. Looks are for shit if you can't rely on it when you need it.

Whatever you get, practice with it. Often.

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Whatever you decide, I can’t stress enough to train with it so it becomes second nature and know the limitations of your choice. I personally use an ankle holster with a small air weight hammerless .38 revolver. Simple and less to go wrong if it is needed. It is also accessible for both dominate and non dominate hand. For me, this is pretty much a a last resort, purely defensive setup.

I do not recommend having it in your backpack. Not just from accessibility standpoint but I would not risk the chance of it falling into the wrong hands. I am sure some court could find some type of liability in it.

My last piece of advice if for all who choose to carry. Run “what if’s” though your head and how you may react. Know that when the cops show up we don’t know the full story yet. Do what they say without argument or explanation. There will be plenty of time later. These are life changing events and i don’t want you mistaken for an aggressor with a gun.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IMO the best carry weapon is the one you are most likely to carry. I own several Sigs including a P239 SAS 9mm which many consider the quintessential carry gun. Even that one I tend to leave in the car sometimes because it tends to stick me in my hip (I prefer IWB). So the one I'm most likely to have on me is a little Walther PPK 380, it's flat and very comfortable. Now you have the endless discussion of stopping power but it is moot if the gun is in the car. I would hope shot placement trumps. Ditto I feel the gun in a bag "nearby" would likely be near useless but better than nothing. I've not been in the situation you were in but I'm sure things happen very fast as you probably now know. Also ditto get carry insurance, I have heard that if you are ever involved in an altercation, be prepared to write a check to the tune of $50k just to get things rolling. Here's hoping your friends are able to recover. Good luck.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
This is a very sticky topic... not because of the topic it's self, but because most of the opinions you are going to get are going to be no better nor accurate than picking the Bears over the Packers (or insert your favorite team or teams), Ford vs. Chevy, etc, etc.

Coming up on 12 mos out from a 27 year retirement, and having been our Agency's (unofficial/official) Assit Rang Master (7.5 years) I can tell you without a doubt that the absolutely most important decision you will make will be WHO you go seek MANY different training classes from. NOT your local "range guru" or best buddy gun guy, but the nationally and sometimes internationally known and respected trainer whos not only been there done that, but produced many more people after him who have and are still around. Stay away from the youtube guys who have no specific background and training.

As to what to carry, EXTREMELY subjective... except for caliber. There once was, but no longer is a reason to carry anything but a 9mm when discussing two legged varmints. If you want specifics call Hornady (or maybe any pistol ammo manufacturer) and speak to their law enforcement division. That's based years of study and cold hard science... to include trauma surgeons perspectives, weight/capacity, availability/cost for both training and business rounds, and vastly more options in the weapons selections themselves. Here's the most important part... shootability. You CAN NOT miss fast enough to win a gunfight. 9 shoots real easy and I believe it was a SEAL Commander who said "...if I put two in your heart and one in your forehead, you WILL NOT care what caliber it is...".

Gear (holsters/mag pouches), again EXTREMELY subjective and expect to buy and buy again until you find what fits you best. Then in six months something even more comfortable to wear will come out, and lets face it, if it's not comfortable you WILL find reasons not to wear it. Also remember that a gun not on your person is useless if you can not reach and wield it in a second or LESS. If you are going to carry, carry ON your person.

You already hit the nail on the head, the best gunfight is the one YOU were not in. Obvious situational awareness it's self IS a deterrent for many criminal. Don't be the soft oblivious target!

I've trained and qualified thousands of people over the years, and trained many who've had to put that training to use. They are still around.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I carry different weapons depending on what I’m wearing. A Sig 365 has replaced my Smith 340PD most of the time. A NAA 22LR. When they are to bulky A lot of people do not like the 22 but that North American arms can be in your pocket if you’re wearing a bathing suit or light shorts in the summer, it is the size of a lighter and it is Stainless, It gives you 5 shots. I’m not using it to win the west I’m using it to stun or incapacitate an attacker and get me or my family the hell out of there. I have lasers on both the Smith and the Sig. they say that is more of a deterrent if there was a bad situation and you are negotiating, point the laser at their groin. You have to have it on you, not in the bag not in your car not somewhere else it must be readily accessible. I Carry in my pocket, Alabama holster company stuff is great. When your life is in danger if you bend down to your ankles and lift up your pants you’re probably going to get shot.
If you think you’re going to get killed as you’re getting robbed and you reach in your pocket to get your wallet for him He will probably wait till you shoot him. Just my $.02
Discussing this is almost as debatable as religion or politics.