• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Aftermarket Chartplotter vs Connext

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
No need for that kit - the plotter comes with a rear covering mount point that converts with longer studs to use the back as a holder plate. I recommend surface mount as the unit is rather heavy and a flush mount means cutting down the plastic dash which may not be strong enough to hold the weight. It probably would, but I prefer to have a solid mounting area as boats take some repetitive pounding over chop - wouldn't want the dash to crack.
Thanks... I went ahead and ordered the Axiom 7.

I think you bring up a valid risk, but seems it would be low to me as that plastic is pretty freaking hard. Either way, I think that's probably the way to go for mounting in the event the unit ever needs replaced, the new unit might not be the exact same shape and may create hassles trying to mount the next one cleanly.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
No need for that kit - the plotter comes with a rear covering mount point that converts with longer studs to use the back as a holder plate. I recommend surface mount as the unit is rather heavy and a flush mount means cutting down the plastic dash which may not be strong enough to hold the weight. It probably would, but I prefer to have a solid mounting area as boats take some repetitive pounding over chop - wouldn't want the dash to crack.
I went back and forth as it was super confusing if I needed that or not. Can't remember the exact conclusion that led me to realizing I didn't need that kit. So, no I didn't need that to flush or surface mount mine.
Alright just got my unit and will probably install tomorrow. I see now on the different mounting options. Either way you need to cut a rectangle hole to slide the unit through, just with the flush mount you grind out a second notch even wider so that it can sit recessed and completely flush.

The one thing I am confused about is why does this template talk about drilling four holes? I'm just going to cut a rectangle in the dash, slide the unit through with the four studs attached, slide the back holder plate on the other side and use the thumb screws to hold it together. What am I missing?

The thumb screws do make me a little nervous, it seems like there should be lock washers included.

Attachments

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Nevermind I figured it out... my buddy explained that's a method for cutting where you drill out the corners then jigsaw in between. I think I'm just going to use the template with a dremel took instead.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Nevermind I figured it out... my buddy explained that's a method for cutting where you drill out the corners then jigsaw in between. I think I'm just going to use the template with a dremel took instead.
Yup the drill bit is used to get rounded corners if you're using a jigsaw. I borrowed a router and straight bit to cut the opening.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I ended up not routing out the edge as my rectangle wasn't exactly perfect. So it's nice that it is hidden. HA!

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I ended up not routing out the edge as my rectangle wasn't exactly perfect. So it's nice that it is hidden. HA!
Yup the drill bit is used to get rounded corners if you're using a jigsaw. I borrowed a router and straight bit to cut the opening.
I got her mounted about to hookup power. These instructions are terrible! Just a picture and no words at all lol.

Is the white cable an antenna I am guessing? Did you all use an antenna or does it have one built in and that is optional?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I got her mounted about to hookup power. These instructions are terrible! Just a picture and no words at all lol.

Is the white cable an antenna I am guessing? Did you all use an antenna or does it have one built in and that is optional?
Antenna should be built in. There should be a power, ground, and an earth. Which the earth is basically another ground, which I ran to the bus bar all the way back by the battery. Power I ran to the battery switch, and ground to the battery.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Antenna should be built in. There should be a power, ground, and an earth. Which the earth is basically another ground, which I ran to the bus bar all the way back by the battery. Power I ran to the battery switch, and ground to the battery.
Weird... The diagram really looked like an antenna picture but good to know it works without it. I left it dangling for now. I guess I'll just add that second ground to my fuse block. Right now I left it dangling and it still powered on alright.

I appreciate all the help buddy! I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Weird... The diagram really looked like an antenna picture but good to know it works without it. I left it dangling for now. I guess I'll just add that second ground to my fuse block. Right now I left it dangling and it still powered on alright.

I appreciate all the help buddy! I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.
Ahhhhh, yeah the antenna symbol is called "earth", which I put to my bus bar.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
If the antenna symbol is a longer line, then a medium line, then a small line perpendicular to the wire line, that is a ground symbol: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/an-introduction-to-ground/#:~:text=The earth ground symbol is,symbol or a 0V reference.

Antenna symbols are thusly: Antenna Symbols - Aerials

Sometimes folks confuse them.
Good to know... Thanks. Off the top of my head I am not sure I recall installing anything with two grounds so that threw me off.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good to know... Thanks. Off the top of my head I am not sure I recall installing anything with two grounds so that threw me off.
Yup, if you look at my install thread that also threw me off.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Drilled out the corners:

PXL_20210619_180218966.jpg

Used a Dremel to cut out the rest:

PXL_20210619_200119324.jpg

Installed the screen and re-installed the phone mount:

PXL_20210619_201847550.jpg

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Overall I give the install about an 8/10. I was worried about hitting the bolt in the upper left but in the end I could have moved the screen a little more towards the left side. This could have left more room for the phone mount. Where it's at, it obstructs the Connext a tiny bit on the left side when the phone is in there (fuel gauge and port side RPMs). It's minor but a bit of an annoyance for me. There was just enough room to mount the phone mount and still allow the mount to "spin" and not hit the chartplotter. In hindsight, even if I put it right between the two screens I doubt I'll ever want to use it in landscape mode, anyways.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yup, this! Mine hops all over the place too. Sometimes the arrow is even on land. LOL! I'm like wait WTF, I'm not 100 yards up on shore across the lake. Generally these issues are all noticed while moving at planing speed. Idling around it's totally fine. I was also planning a trip either to the keys or possibly bimini. I needed a chartplotter that I could update regularly and easily to catch shifting dangers. Key west and Bimini are now off the table, BUT may be back on in the future.
Agree 100%. I'm in the middle of a wide channel and it looks like I'm on the beach. Can someone explain why we have all the lines on the map without depths?

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Took a quick spin down the river and really liking the Raymarine. Maps are much cleaner,easier to read and as others have said the responsiveness of the unit is really nice. Forward facing orientation is nice as well after using the northern-oriented connext maps for a while.

I need to read the manual a bit as mapping out a route was a little confusing. I thought you could drop a waypoint and it would create a navigation path to the waypoint, but I couldn't figure that out. Maybe I made up that feature being a thing. All I figured out how to do so far was make a series of waypoints in a route manually.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The thumb screws do make me a little nervous, it seems like there should be lock washers included.
I recommend you remove the thumbscrews one at a time and add blue Loctite to the point on the threads where the screws sit so they don't back out from vibration. Blue Loctite is not permanent so you can always remove them again but they won't loosen on their own.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length