• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Am I doing somthing wrong? Can't hold a straight line!

Thanks @txav8r that is some solid insight. I think my biggest problem was leaving trying to drive in no wake zones using neutral with some additional RPMs. I am glad I asked. Can't wait to here what you think of the steering on your first trip out! Congrats BTW.

@steined , since we don't have an outdrive and not pushing our boats from 2' below the keel line, I don't think these smart tabs will enhance the steering at all on our boats. But just an educated guess here, not any experience with it. Since they are not directional or lateral in control, I think they would further complicate and increase the difficulty of directional control in reverse, without adding any benefit in forward. They may enhance ride quality, but it also may put the bow too low on a 24' boat. We don't need these at all to reduce bow rise, because we already have the lowest bow rise in the industry compared to I/O bow riders, it is virtually zero. Just my thoughts...

@GiddYupJoe , yeah, going finless this time...at least starting out that way. Of course, I started out finless before too. I first used the original cobra fins, very small. I moved on to the original thrust vectors, and later the XL's. They were much more control. But...the ultimates would have as much control as the XL's did and they would be adjustable and give you many more choices I would think. I may have to check them out if I go back to fins.

Ahh another mystery solved, he was trying to go forward with the controls in neutral, he is now going to do that using FORWARD thrust rather that neutral thrust.

Thank you for all the great advice. I paid more attention today and just feathered the wheel with a little more fineness and you were all correct! I was overdoing it. Boat steered great today with ease. It was an interesting day out, winds were between 25-30 all day. That boat really does blow around like a kite! Wow. But my wife and two kids were able to come back in these conditions with no scratches or dings, then I am pretty sure we can handle just about anything!

Great to hear! Sounds like you guys will have a blast this summer and make a lot of memories.

Just to add to all the excellent advise, are people moving around in the boat while your at no wake?
Whether it's just on my single 190 or with the twins I'm not sure, but if I need to manoeuvre between a particularly small gap or dock, I make sure people are still as I've noticed it can upset the balance.

Yes you are not imagining that. If someone moves forward in the cabin..it feels like the boat shifted backwards..

Also, if you have a crowd in the bow, it makes it more difficult to control the boat too. So when I am docking, only one in the bow to handle that line, everyone else in the back sitting. Once you gain experience and can predict what it is going to do a little, you will know where you want the controls, and how to correct. Also, you will slide the boat right up to the dock like you are the pro you will be soon! And I remember a slight mention of the bimini above...take it down! It is a big sail and the wind will have its way with you for sure if the bimini is up.

Dang, my boat came with the original small Cobras so I've never been finless. However, I'm really starting to think of upgrading to the Ultimates. Question, since the Ultimates bolt on, how do I fill the holes drilled to mount the originals?

@cane.mba not sure if this helps bit I left the holes the way they are never even gave it thought.

@cane.mba , I filled them on my 230 with gray JB Weld, and it was almost a perfect match. I just sanded it lightly after filling and you would have to know it was there to find them. but you can leave the holes too, it won't hurt anything.

Thanks! I like the JB Weld solution. I know it won't make a difference in performance, but with my OCD and leaving her in the water for weeks or months it's one more place for stuff to grow, and accumulate.

I read the trim tab comment and have bennett tabs installed and can tell you they do nothing for steering at slow speeds. I can say that they significantly smooth out your ride in rough water. I have only had it out twice so I'm still learning. I also have the ultimates installed and I'm so impressed with the manuverability of these boats in tight situations. So much better than my i/o.

Back