• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR 195 Heat Soak

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All, I have had an issue with my boat (AR 195) the last two trips out that seems like it could be heat soak. The first time it happened I had been running at full throttle for a few miles and the rpms and speed slowly (about a 15 second time frame) dropped a bit (low 40s). There was a bit of debris on the lake that day so i thought maybe I had run over something so I stopped and checked the clean out and it was fine. Acceleration the rest of the day and speed was not up to par but other than feeling "soft" the boat ran ok.

Went on a long ride this weekend and the boat seemed fine. Did a few full throttle bursts and speed and acceleration felt normal. We stopped for a few minutes to jump in on the way back and acceleration felt pretty sluggish for the rest of the day and top speed was in the low 40s.

Does this sound like heat soak? Nothing in the clean out port and a visual inspection on the trailer showed nothing in the pump. I pulled the white strainer out and it was clean. Boat has about 28 hours on it, on second oil change and original spark plugs. Water temp was in the high 70s both days and air was in the low 80s. Two people on boat.

Thoughts?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Based on what you have described does sound like heat soak. Did you check your pisser's to make sure all 3 had water coming out? Did you touch the water coming out of the pisser's? Generally it will feel warm but not overly hot. When you checked the intake did you remove the 4 bolts to insure nothing was stuck in there? The only other suggestion is to run a weed eater line down the line to clear any potential blockage.

I have only experienced heat soak once with my AR195. The air temp was well over 100, water temp in the mid 70's and I have two adults in the bow running WOT for about 5 miles when the heat soak happened and dropped to the low 40's.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Change your plugs. Might help

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses. I did not examine the pissers when it happened but they seem fine when at idle. I will try running a weed eater line down them to make sure there are no blockages. I did remove the white strainer and it looked fine.

I will change the plugs for good measure.

Any other ideas? How long does the heat soak last? I would have thought shutting down for a bit would clear the issue, but maybe the engine stays hot longer than I think. Would it be better to idle for awhile to get let the water flow through and cool it off?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses. I did not examine the pissers when it happened but they seem fine when at idle. I will try running a weed eater line down them to make sure there are no blockages. I did remove the white strainer and it looked fine.

I will change the plugs for good measure.

Any other ideas? How long does the heat soak last? I would have thought shutting down for a bit would clear the issue, but maybe the engine stays hot longer than I think. Would it be better to idle for awhile to get let the water flow through and cool it off?
It is always a good idea to idle a vehicle when they get warm. My big trucks have turbo timers on them. If you dont use it, it's time to go to the dealer to get the "improper shut down procedure" code removed. I am not saying you have a code, just it's just good a practice.

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have basically the same boat as yours but mine is a 2017 with about 85 hours on it. I have never experienced heat soak and have read (mostly on this forum) that the 195's did not have any heat soak issues. Are you running high octane gas? I usually put 93 octane in mine.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I only run high octane although, not to get off topic, I am getting ready to get a slip at a marina (with lift) that only has ethanol free 89. Guess I will get getting some 5 gallon jugs of 93 to mix in every so often.

I too thought the heat soak was gone with the 195, but it sounds like some people still report it on the "svho" waverunners. I have ordered new plugs this morning and will pull the battery cable to reset any codes.

MNPAT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my experience the 195's can experience heat soak/rpm fade just not as easy or dramatic as what I have seen on the 192's. Typically i have noticed it on a hot day with warm water temps after some wide open runs. But the worst that I have seen is about a 200 rpm loss at top end and a more sluggish acceleration/response. Top speed on mine with the fade being the worst is still about 47-48 compared to 51-52 with out it being heat soaked.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yes I see same also but top speed doesn't change much, mainly just Max rpm. I will say that having weight or people in the front significantly impacts the top speed.

Did you have anyone sitting in front? With 2 adults there I easily lose 8MPH

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update on this.

I changed the plugs and didn’t see any difference. Power now consistently just seems a bit soft. I will say that we had 4 adults in the boat the last two times out and previously had only had 2. How big of a difference could this make? Top speed according to the speedo today in choppy water was about 42 and rpms maxed at 6800. We had two adult females in the bow. Shouldn’t I be seeing more rpms?

Could this be supercharger related? Pump remains visibly clean and it doesn’t look like I have lost any silicone in the intake tunnel. Any tips or suggested checks are appreciated.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AR195 and the last time I went out, It was just my wife and I and I only was able to get 41 Mph with 7000 RPM. I have 10 hours on my toy and I am going to do the 10 hour service tomorrow. I also have the Lucky 13 cone with one blue washer installed. I did have the top open however.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AR195 and the last time I went out, It was just my wife and I and I only was able to get 41 Mph with 7000 RPM. I have 10 hours on my toy and I am going to do the 10 hour service tomorrow. I also have the Lucky 13 cone with one blue washer installed. I did have the top open however.
Something is up as you should be seeing about 7,600 to 7,700 RPMS and about 10 more MPH. I have a 2017 AR195 with a Lucky 13 and run 50 to 51 with the top up and 4 people in the boat. What elevation are you at?

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am in South Florida so I would say sea level. I am going to check the throttle stop tomorrow and also check the pump for proper sealing. My numbers by the way were in less than 1 foot water (pretty flat) about 86 degrees.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I checked my throttle stop this morning and I was not getting full throttle so I adjusted. I also pulled the air box and hoses out to check the supercharger and filter. Filter was clean and blade spins in one direction only so that is good.

How big of a difference can the throttle stop make??

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Dam man that sucks to hear you are having problems. Hope you get it rectified brotha.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I just finished the 10 hour service. My throttle stop was also off just a little. I also performed the Ribbon delete. (See my thread) Apparently sometime in the 2019 model year, Yamaha changed the intake to a one piece that also houses the ribbon. The throttle plate mount is now part of the plastic intake. I actually had to drill and cut the ribbon in half to extract it. Lots of work and cleaning up metal shavings. I was not able to use the Riva ring. Wednesday, weather permitting, I am going out. I will let you know how it runs.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Is the ribbon delete really that crucial? Some say yes, some say no. I need data input, lol.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have never done it on Yamaha. On SeaDoo, I could feel a difference. I never actual performed any test other then just seat of the pants. It did feel like it helped with low and mid range. As far as my 2019 Yamaha AR195, I guess I will find out.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Matts18, Have you tested your boat after adjusting the throttle stop? I am hoping to on Wednesday but I also did the Ribbon so not sure if any will make a difference.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was able to take the boat out this evening between storms and it felt like its normal self again. Hit 50+ on the lie-o-meter and 7700 ish rpm. I forgot to mention that some idiot (me) put adhesive backed foam on the firewall in front of the engine last year. When troubleshooting on Sunday, I noticed that some of the foam had come unstuck and was partially blocking the snorkel opening on the airbox. Because the foam had the adhesive backing, I could not blow through it. My guess at this point is that this was probably chocking the engine a bit and the source of my issue. Thoughts?