• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR195 break-in/ECU programmed limits?

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know if the ECU for the SVHO in the AR195 is programmed to limit the RPMs during the break-in period, or is it truly a manual process? I know that the Rotax in my old Scarab was programmed to limit the RPMs until you cleared the break-in hours, so even when you ran wide open during break-in, it limited you to something like 5000-5500 RPM.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know if the ECU for the SVHO in the AR195 is programmed to limit the RPMs during the break-in period, or is it truly a manual process? I know that the Rotax in my old Scarab was programmed to limit the RPMs until you cleared the break-in hours, so even when you ran wide open during break-in, it limited you to something like 5000-5500 RPM.
On my 2017 AR195 the break in was not programmed.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone have a 2019 that would be able to chime in? Also, how bad is it if the 5000 RPM limit is exceeded occasionally during the initial 90 minutes of runtime?

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
On 2018 it also is manual. I wouldn't worry too much if it was exceeded but I tried to stick to the break in routine.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is interesting there is still a formal break in period for these engines. Most new cars do not have a formal break-in period and break-in oil anymore. Of course there are plenty of people on the forums who recommend the first oil change at 500 miles, but your Honda maintenance minder computer won't recommend the first service until past 10,000 miles.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is interesting there is still a formal break in period for these engines. Most new cars do not have a formal break-in period and break-in oil anymore. Of course there are plenty of people on the forums who recommend the first oil change at 500 miles, but your Honda maintenance minder computer won't recommend the first service until past 10,000 miles.
A car doesn’t have near the loads on it that a marine engine constantly has.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On any new cars I've ever bought, I get used to seeing a few miles on the odometer from the dealership and generally didn't worry too much about it. I'd imagine that with the boat, it was probably taken out on a couple of test/demo runs by the dealer, and probably isn't a big deal (it's reading .9 hours on the engine on the Connext screen). That and given the durability of the SVHO engine, I'm sure it's probably fine. I just didn't know if there were pre-programmed limits on the engine during break-in, and/or if I should continue to follow the break-in procedures for the next 30 or so minutes of runtime remaining on that.

Looking at the flipside, I guess this means that I don't have much time left before I can run her wide open - they did me a favor by taking care of the bulk of the break-in period already. :)

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Yama Ha-ha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Anyone have a 2019 that would be able to chime in? Also, how bad is it if the 5000 RPM limit is exceeded occasionally during the initial 90 minutes of runtime?
There is no limiter holding rpm down; I can easily go to ~7300 rpm, but the dealer asked me to limit the rpm below 5300 rpm until 25 hours and the first oil change.

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is no limiter holding rpm down; I can easily go to ~7300 rpm, but the dealer asked me to limit the rpm below 5300 rpm until 25 hours and the first oil change.
Wow!😲 That’s a lot of hours for a break-in to keep rpm under 5300!

Yama Ha-ha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yes, I agree, maybe the whole summer for me.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My source is the collective knowledge I have over years in power sports and auto mechanics.

The break in period is done by the manufacturer. The idea is wear (or seat) the piston rings in the cylinder. It’s a delicate process that ensures maximum performance and efficiency. It’s in the manufacturers best interest to do this in the QC process.

My disclaimer is that I’ve never actually visited a factory and confirmed this myself. I’ve heard of this over the years and it sounds reasonable. I’ve never followed break in procedures and enjoyed the product ASAP. I only observe break in procedures after building engines and even then I don’t spend more then 10 minutes.

Yama Ha-ha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My source is the collective knowledge I have over years in power sports and auto mechanics.

The break in period is done by the manufacturer. The idea is wear (or seat) the piston rings in the cylinder. It’s a delicate process that ensures maximum performance and efficiency. It’s in the manufacturers best interest to do this in the QC process.

My disclaimer is that I’ve never actually visited a factory and confirmed this myself. I’ve heard of this over the years and it sounds reasonable. I’ve never followed break in procedures and enjoyed the product ASAP. I only observe break in procedures after building engines and even then I don’t spend more then 10 minutes.
Thanks!